• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Guitarists (and general musical conversations)!

Just moving back onto a bit of blues rock . If you haven't heard this album then give it a listen. I rate it one of Australia's finest albums and I play it regularly.

I'd completely forgotten about Lobby Loyde and the Coloured Balls.

1234 McCartney?
Another show on tonight. It was amazing to watch. How he said that a set of simple chords are used and then just tweaked using different types of music, including Bach.
What was interesting was the use of a piccolo trumpet by a brilliant musician named David Mason who played a note that the instrument was not supposed to be able to play- after Paul saw a concert with the Brandenburg Concerto.
I now have Penny Lane rolling around in my head!

Incredible talent the Beatles,still want to torture the dog who murdered Lennon.
A race of murderers!

Not sure there's any more interest in this thread but I've been checking out "best of" lists of guitarists. They all differ wildly. The Rolling Stones one had me scratching my head and wanting to throw a tinnie at the computer with some of their picks.

This one is kind of interesting in that at the bottom of the page you can tab for various categories (best blues, best innovators etc).

Not sure there's any more interest in this thread but I've been checking out "best of" lists of guitarists. They all differ wildly. The Rolling Stones one had me scratching my head and wanting to throw a tinnie at the computer with some of their picks.

This one is kind of interesting in that at the bottom of the page you can tab for various categories (best blues, best innovators etc).

I was watching a doco on Youtube yesterday, it was for the Top 20 most over rated bands of all time.

They had the Beatles at #1 despite raving about how good they were.

They also had Pink Floyd and AC/DC on their list.

It's all just opinion.

I've been a pro musician since I was 12, which is over 50 years.
Even with that much experience I can't really pick a best guitarist or drummer etc, it really is all down to personal taste and opinion.

And you really can't argue an opinion, people are entitled to appreciate or ignore whatever they choose I guess.

Yes, totally agree, it's very personal. None the less I do find it interesting what others opinions are on music, and sometimes another opinion will make me want to at least check out a new artist.

If you also don't like a certain genre of music you tend to not rate the guitarists as well.

The Beatles were certainly not over rated in my opinion.

Yes, totally agree, it's very personal. None the less I do find it interesting what others opinions are on music, and sometimes another opinion will make me want to at least check out a new artist.

If you also don't like a certain genre of music you tend to not rate the guitarists as well.

I think you should also look at who's been most influential on other great guitarists. The early Blues pioneers got it started then guys like Clapton and Harrison ran with it. They were then major influences on the next group like SRV and Van Halen. and on it goes. I doubt you can say who was the best, as they all had differing styles. As Alice Cooper recently stated "all the great bands started in pubs doing covers".

I think you should also look at who's been most influential on other great guitarists. The early Blues pioneers got it started then guys like Clapton and Harrison ran with it. They were then major influences on the next group like SRV and Van Halen. and on it goes. I doubt you can say who was the best, as they all had differing styles. As Alice Cooper recently stated "all the great bands started in pubs doing covers".
Yair I know!

Anyone that believes that re the Beatles is a flea brain,comparable to claiming Mozart was a mug!
I compare my ability to compose an original melody to the greats and come up with zilch.
When asked which classical composer was best the snoots went for Beethoven,
Tchaikovsky was rated as too common,that figures!
In reality there are only two kinds of music……good and bad!

If anything I would say they were musically under rated.

They get massive pops for their influence on fashion, politics, society and playing some great pop songs.

But, the tones they used were unique, Les Paul once said "tone is everything". John's rhythm playing was so unique and added so much to their music, as did George's when he was strumming.

Paul used such melodic bass lines, and Ringo's drumming was melodic, listen to the start of songs like Hello Goodbye, I Am The Walrus and Strawberry Fields, no other drummer played like that.

They used very standard chords but did inventive things with them, along with the tones.

Their vocal harmonies were also pure magic, acoustic solos etc etc etc.

There is no comparison to The Beatles. Sure they were influenced by the blues and country players like Chet Atkins, but they managed to be influenced by them wiithout trying to sound like them.

Was out driving yesterday and listening to old Beatles stuff.

Had it switched up full and was playing I Want To Hold Your Hand and She Loves You.
Sheer power, totally original and all from pop music.

Those songs are over 50 years ago and still sound new.

Incredible talents, and they just came together at the right time along with George Martin and Brian Epstein.

Latest posts

Back