• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Fan Attendance

Rabbits21

Grand Master
Reaction score
You can only look after your own backyard.

Why didn’t South fans turn up to games this year? Do we only support the team when they’re winning?
Our crowds were ordinary compared to other years. There are the usual diehards who go every week no matter what then others who don’t go as much when we aren’t winning these are not diehards for mine they’re fairweather supporters.

Why didn’t South fans turn up to games this year? Do we only support the team when they’re winning?
Accor/Homebush is a very tough sell when your team is crap.

Somewhat paradoxically this year I attended more games than any since 2014. Yay...?

Accor/Homebush is a very tough sell when your team is crap.

Somewhat paradoxically this year I attended more games than any since 2014. Yay...?
I went to a few games last year and didn’t go to any games this year (which makes me a fair weather fan in the eyes of some on here of course. A fair weather fan that’s supported the club longer than they’ve been alive of course).

A few reasons:

1. As I’ve got older, making the schlepp out to Homebush, finding a park, and going into a 1/4 full stadium is not as appealing as sitting on my arse in front of the TV at home.
The stadium is soulless with under ~50, 000 people in it. The food is absolutely shite and over priced. The alcohol is worse, and you get to sit with young ****tards from the other club (in Souths premium seating) who think it’s fun ganging up on Souths supporters - yes this has happened to me. They got the shock of their lives though when this “old man” didn’t sit there and take it and provided some feedback. Shamefully, only after the nice Souths supporter next to me with his kids was forced to leave before half time, because they were into all of them for the game.

Well there you go, there was only 1 reason. 😏

This “fair weather” fan will only go to games again when we’re back in SFS.

Our crowds were ordinary compared to other years. There are the usual diehards who go every week no matter what then others who don’t go as much when we aren’t winning these are not diehards for mine they’re fairweather supporters.
The diehards are great, especially family diehards. Nothing looks better than the entire family decked out in Rabbitohs gear on game day. But the fair-weather supporters are also good as they still make up a larger crowd and they make noise too. What would be good would be to have a long winning era like Storm or Riff then some of those fair-weathers will turn into the new gen diehards. For me though, I have a lot in common with Prowsey's post.

The diehards are great, especially family diehards. Nothing looks better than the entire family decked out in Rabbitohs gear on game day. But the fair-weather supporters are also good as they still make up a larger crowd and they make noise too. What would be good would be to have a long winning era like Storm or Riff then some of those fair-weathers will turn into the new gen diehards. For me though, I have a lot in common with Prowsey's post.
Whenever I hear a mate or anyone say to me from any club they support oh I won’t go as we will lose I tell them you need to support your side through thick and thin and not just go when winning. I get your point though.

For me though where we play won’t dictate whether I go or not I’ll go to either Accor or Allianz same happens to my mate at Kogarah opposition fans come into his bay this has happened for many years. Re food at Accor it’s cheaper than Allianz the food is an absolute rip off at Allianz. I like how easy Accor is in that you can easily park and get to the game the stadium is right there. Allianz is terrible for parking you have to either park a fair way away and walk or park at Kensington and get the light rail up and then walk a fair way to the stadium. Dad really struggles with this when we go to Allianz due to circulation issues in his legs and bad hips he prefers Accor.

Last edited:
So fans living outside of Sydney can't be diehard supporters ? There are also diehard fans living in Sydney who actually have lives that don't allow time to get to games. Silly post. 🥴

So fans living outside of Sydney can't be diehard supporters ? There are also diehard fans living in Sydney who actually have lives that don't allow time to get to games. Silly post. 🥴
Not silly those living in Sydney who go when we are winning but don’t go when we are not going well and say nah we will lose I’ll watch at home that’s who I was aiming it.

Gotta say that I'm ****ing sick of people telling other people what sort of supporter they are.

Does @Kempy come on here and put shit on other members and supporters because they don't go to every single game?

BTW I'm not responding to said Poster, because the little snowflake had a whine the last time I responded to his inanities, and invoked the bullying card, while making up some stuff about me.

So I've gone back to ignoring him.

Souths attendances are no one persons fault.

If die-hard and fair-weather Rabbitohs fans are opting out of attendance, there are bigger things at play that need to be looked at.

Performance, match-day experience, venue, scheduling, culture, fan regeneration, etc all play equal roles.

There’s no silver bullet.

And the NRL at the management level repeatedly showing their disinterest in live crowds (in the pecking order of priority) is just one issue.

On Annesley, of course a football admin run by a referee would have little interest in growing the live game. Less people in the stadium means less chance of a water bottle being thrown at the officials.

Gotta say that I'm ****ing sick of people telling other people what sort of supporter they are.

Does @Kempy come on here and put shit on other members and supporters because they don't go to every single game?

BTW I'm not responding to said Poster, because the little snowflake had a whine the last time I responded to his inanities, and invoked the bullying card, while making up some stuff about me.

So I've gone back to ignoring him.
Not much thought went into the said post that's for sure. I don't respond to him either. I've supported this club since the 60s when I was in my mother's womb and was in Redfern Oval before the 23s came out every game. I also made it to as many games as possible at the Footy Stadium when we moved there. So no one is going to come on here and tell me I should be going to games. If I can't make games I have a bloody good reason and that's my business.

Not much thought went into the said post that's for sure. I don't respond to him either. I've supported this club since the 60s when I was in my mother's womb and was in Redfern Oval before the 23s came out every game. I also made it to as many games as possible at the Footy Stadium when we moved there. So no one is going to come on here and tell me I should be going to games. If I can't make games I have a bloody good reason and that's my business.
Where did I come on here and tell you that you should be coming to games show me where? Answer is I didn’t. What I said was based around fans that only go when the team is winning and don’t go if we are losing it was not named at any particular individual you just wanna stir BS out of nowhere. If you don’t like my opinion scroll passed it simple not hard at all I scroll past plenty at times in here. You’re trying to create an argument out of nothing

Last edited:
I think what people have to remember is winning and success brings bigger crowds. There are so many reasons for that. At the same time the bigger games when winning will also bring bigger crowds.

I know so many people over the years that use to go to most games. Now they are lucky to get to any. They all still have the same passion for the club, but life’s priorities have changed.

Whether is be cost, family commitments or other reasons.

When you are winning naturally people will make more of an effort to get there. It’s easier to get out there and spend that money or take time away from the family when you are winning.

Let’s not dismiss the venue. Whilst I don’t have too many issues with views, people find it hard seeing the game at Accor, so watching from home is the better option.

Then there is getting to the venue. Thursday and Friday night games means dealing with the traffic for so many.

So whilst it may be easy for you to get to the games, it’s not as easy for others. With these type of obstacles in the way when you’re losing it’s easier to say stuff it. When you’re winning you’re more chance of attending.

ANZ sucks balls. I got used to not going after a lifetime of moving everything in my life around to ensure I made it. Now I cannot convince myself to go and would barely go if I was paid.

Once again, ANZ sucks.

I think what people have to remember is winning and success brings bigger crowds. There are so many reasons for that. At the same time the bigger games when winning will also bring bigger crowds.

I know so many people over the years that use to go to most games. Now they are lucky to get to any. They all still have the same passion for the club, but life’s priorities have changed.

Whether is be cost, family commitments or other reasons.

When you are winning naturally people will make more of an effort to get there. It’s easier to get out there and spend that money or take time away from the family when you are winning.

Let’s not dismiss the venue. Whilst I don’t have too many issues with views, people find it hard seeing the game at Accor, so watching from home is the better option.

Then there is getting to the venue. Thursday and Friday night games means dealing with the traffic for so many.

So whilst it may be easy for you to get to the games, it’s not as easy for others. With these type of obstacles in the way when you’re losing it’s easier to say stuff it. When you’re winning you’re more chance of attending.
For some reason Australian “professional” sports teams think their consumers should keep buying their product even when they fail to quality manage. So too the “happy clappers”. Sports is entertainment. I turn up every week because obviously there’s something wrong with me. But most consumers make rational choices. Is what it is… provide a better product, and people will vote with their feet.

I went to a few games last year and didn’t go to any games this year (which makes me a fair weather fan in the eyes of some on here of course. A fair weather fan that’s supported the club longer than they’ve been alive of course).

A few reasons:

1. As I’ve got older, making the schlepp out to Homebush, finding a park, and going into a 1/4 full stadium is not as appealing as sitting on my arse in front of the TV at home.
The stadium is soulless with under ~50, 000 people in it. The food is absolutely shite and over priced. The alcohol is worse, and you get to sit with young ****tards from the other club (in Souths premium seating) who think it’s fun ganging up on Souths supporters - yes this has happened to me. They got the shock of their lives though when this “old man” didn’t sit there and take it and provided some feedback. Shamefully, only after the nice Souths supporter next to me with his kids was forced to leave before half time, because they were into all of them for the game.

Well there you go, there was only 1 reason. 😏

This “fair weather” fan will only go to games again when we’re back in SFS.
I was annoyed to have someone on this site telling me that they had more flights to see souths play than I had evening meals after I said I live in Brisbane and older person.
He doesn't know a thing about me or my situation but that did not stop him making his self righteous comments.
Oh well ... no names, I just left it at that!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back