• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Energy Bills🥴

Cant believe it was 1973 when this came out, i have some great memories of our union mass meetings in the late70s early 80s in the big lunchroom, 300 plus people, mostly men, very union savvy hard men, and we near always voted to have a "homer" , and our elected floor rep drinking beer behind a cardboard box and then taking the microphone and singing "blue moon" and then getting abused by the ladies for being a disgrace, back then work was like a party every day.

You Can't get me, i'm part of the union,
Until the day i die, Until the day i die.

I think that is how the song went.

Yeah let's get rid of every solar panel, wind farm and hydro cause they used diesel generators.

At least the organisers aren't one eyed idealogues who cut off their nose to spite their face. But if you are looking for that sort of person there are a few on SKY News I reckon...

Yeah let's get rid of every solar panel, wind farm and hydro cause they used diesel generators.

At least the organisers aren't one eyed idealogues who cut off their nose to spite their face. But if you are looking for that sort of person there are a few on SKY News I reckon...
:unsure: You know I think that the real reason the labor govt don't want nuclear power is because it will make all the renewables redundant.

The world has gone mad, these women who won the court case should be disconnected from the grid for life, and the crazy thing is 95% of their power comes from non fossil fuel sources. European court rules human rights violated by climate inaction
A group of older Swiss women have won the first ever climate case victory in the European Court of Human Rights.

The women, mostly in their 70s, said that their age and gender made them particularly vulnerable to the effects of heatwaves linked to climate change.

The court said Switzerland's efforts to meet its emission reduction targets had been woefully inadequate.

It is the first time the powerful court has ruled on global warming.

Swedish campaigner Greta Thunberg joined activists celebrating at the court in Strasbourg on Tuesday.

"We still can't really believe it. We keep asking our lawyers, 'is that right?' Rosemarie Wydler-Walti, one of the leaders of the Swiss women, told Reuters news agency. "And they tell us it's the most you could have had. The biggest victory possible."

"This is only the beginning of climate litigation," said Ms Thunberg. "This means that we have to fight even more, since this is only the beginning. Because in a climate emergency, everything is at stake."

The ruling is binding and can trickle down to influence the law in 46 countries in Europe including the UK.
The Court ruled that Switzerland had "failed to comply with its duties under the Convention concerning climate change" and that it had violated the right to respect for private and family life.
xxxxxxx.jpg

The world has gone mad, these women who won the court case should be disconnected from the grid for life, and the crazy thing is 95% of their power comes from non fossil fuel sources. European court rules human rights violated by climate inaction
A group of older Swiss women have won the first ever climate case victory in the European Court of Human Rights.

The women, mostly in their 70s, said that their age and gender made them particularly vulnerable to the effects of heatwaves linked to climate change.

The court said Switzerland's efforts to meet its emission reduction targets had been woefully inadequate.

It is the first time the powerful court has ruled on global warming.

Swedish campaigner Greta Thunberg joined activists celebrating at the court in Strasbourg on Tuesday.

"We still can't really believe it. We keep asking our lawyers, 'is that right?' Rosemarie Wydler-Walti, one of the leaders of the Swiss women, told Reuters news agency. "And they tell us it's the most you could have had. The biggest victory possible."

"This is only the beginning of climate litigation," said Ms Thunberg. "This means that we have to fight even more, since this is only the beginning. Because in a climate emergency, everything is at stake."

The ruling is binding and can trickle down to influence the law in 46 countries in Europe including the UK.
The Court ruled that Switzerland had "failed to comply with its duties under the Convention concerning climate change" and that it had violated the right to respect for private and family life.
View attachment 2313
They are making a point.
The point being is we have to change.
And I'll be the first to admit that change is hard and sometimes we need to be dragged kicking and screaming but we have to change.

Anecdotally, and probably factually, insurance premiums are going up at a greater rate than everything else. Yet nobody is criticising the insurance companies. We just accept it as a fact of life.
So let's look at climate change and the associated changes and costs as an increase in the insurance that we need to save the planet.
And then consider that we can buy a new car and build a new house, but we only have one planet.
Insurance is a waste of money until we need it.
And we all pay insurance without complaining to the internet even though we all think that we will probably never need it.

:unsure: You know I think that the real reason the labor govt don't want nuclear power is because it will make all the renewables redundant.
That's interesting southsport. Now I have another question about what you think.
Why do you think that Peter Dutton has only proposed nuclear power now? After all his party was in power for about 20 years of the last 30.
Before you answer consider that nuclear is a lot more expensive than solar and wind and battery storage, and won't be online until about 2040.
And why do you think he was all over the Small Modular Reactor (SMR) a couple of months ago, saying they are the way of the future, but now he is backing the traditional larger nuclear reactor?
Why do you think he made such a fundamental change to his nuclear policy? The way he was talking he made me think he was absolutely committed to SMRs. So why did he change?
You've told me why you think Labor is committed to renewables. Why do you think Dutton and the LNP are committed to nuclear? In your answer I would like you to incorporate Dutton's pivot from SMRs to conventional nuclear reactors. If you cite that traditional nuclear reactors do not have additional costs regarding poles and wires, remember that renewables are cheaper than nuclear even allowing for the extra cost of bringing renewable power to the grid.
Oh, and renewables are here now, and getting cheaper. Nuclear is 10 years away at best. 15 years away is even a stretch. Don't forget the LNP had 4 years to build a bunch of car parks near railway stations and didn't even get a shovel in the ground.

That's interesting southsport. Now I have another question about what you think.
Why do you think that Peter Dutton has only proposed nuclear power now? After all his party was in power for about 20 years of the last 30.
Before you answer consider that nuclear is a lot more expensive than solar and wind and battery storage, and won't be online until about 2040.
And why do you think he was all over the Small Modular Reactor (SMR) a couple of months ago, saying they are the way of the future, but now he is backing the traditional larger nuclear reactor?
Why do you think he made such a fundamental change to his nuclear policy? The way he was talking he made me think he was absolutely committed to SMRs. So why did he change?
You've told me why you think Labor is committed to renewables. Why do you think Dutton and the LNP are committed to nuclear? In your answer I would like you to incorporate Dutton's pivot from SMRs to conventional nuclear reactors. If you cite that traditional nuclear reactors do not have additional costs regarding poles and wires, remember that renewables are cheaper than nuclear even allowing for the extra cost of bringing renewable power to the grid.
Oh, and renewables are here now, and getting cheaper. Nuclear is 10 years away at best. 15 years away is even a stretch. Don't forget the LNP had 4 years to build a bunch of car parks near railway stations and didn't even get a shovel in the ground.
Well I know that it has been said that nuclear is too expensive but whether it is or not I don't know because the people that report these things have their own agenda and as far as the LNP pushing for nuclear when they were in govt I doubt that they would have been able to get it past the senate, as far as the renewables being cheaper that is yet to be seen.

Nuclear would make renewables redundant.

Last edited:
We need to be careful we dont kill our business and industry while China continues to build coal fired power stations.
China emits more greenhouse gas than the entire developed world combined, a new report has claimed.

The research by Rhodium Group says China emitted 27% of the world's greenhouse gases in 2019.

The US was the second-largest emitter at 11% while India was third with 6.6% of emissions, the think tank said.

Scientists warn that without an agreement between the US and China it will be hard to avert dangerous climate change.

China's emissions more than tripled over the previous three decades, the report from the US-based Rhodium Group added.

We need to be careful we dont kill our business and industry while China continues to build coal fired power stations.

Exactly, sadly we will as there are way too many people in power who think they and our country are players on the international scene. Puffing their chests out as if they are in with the cool kids. Just Like many climate changers who are more concerned about their own sense of self worth rather than a realistic and sensible transition to a greener world, which everybody wants

Governments on both sides have been backed into a corner by the media, especially the ABC, every day multi mention of climate change, the sensible thing to do was to go to renewables in a more gradual fashion while keeping coal and gas fired capabilities up to date, but had either party attempted to build a high tech coal fired power station you would have had hordes throwing themselves in front of the bulldozers, but meanwhile in China and India there would be over 100 such stations under construction, like you said politicians puffing their chests out making out we can save the world, i guess it will hit home when we get to load shedding or industry made non profitable due to power costs..

Interesting piece on TV last night re electric cars and their resale value, shocked to see that after 2 years some struggle to have much over 50% in resale value, also some insurance companies are refusing to insure them due to high repair costs, yep EV's are cheap right?.
#############
Used electric cars have below-average resale value and spend a longer time on sale than other used cars, new Australian data has found.
RELATED: Used-car prices are falling, but these models defy the trend
The data, taken from dealer and private used-car listings in Australia in December 2023, shows electric vehicles (EVs) are currently losing a large proportion of their value after the two-year mark.

The recent easing of EV supply constraints and widespread manufacturer price decreases are likely to blame, and have resulted in new electric cars becoming a more competitive option for buyers, experts said.
Additionally, electric cars still represent a relatively small proportion of the used-car market – with longer-tail data harder to come by given their relative infancy in Australia.

Average value retention for used electric cars​

According to the data – shared by the Australian Automotive Dealers Association (AADA) and automotive insights company AutoGrab – used electric cars see a most dramatic drop in their retained value after two years, particularly when compared to the rest of the market.

Retained value reflects how much of a car's value when purchased new it would hold if sold today. For example, if a 2018 Toyota HiLux purchased new for $80,000 has a retained value of 85 per cent after two years, that means it would be worth roughly $68,000 if sold on the used-car market in 2020.
While electric cars less than two years of age retained a respectable 82.8 per cent of their original value when resold in December 2023, electric cars between two and four years old held on to just 57.6 per cent of their value, while electric cars five years of age or older were worth less than 25 per cent of their original purchase price when resold.
For comparison, the average retained value across the entire used-car market for vehicles between two and four years old was 85.9 per cent, meaning EV value retention was well below the market average.

"From the data, it's the two- to four-year-old category [of EVs] where we've started seeing significant drops in retained value that would be a concern for some EV buyers," James Voortman, CEO of the AADA, told Drive.

Average value retention for used cars in Australia in December 2023

Vehicle ageElectric carsEntire market
0–2 years82.8%95.5%
2–4 years57.6%85.9%
5–7 years24.1%68.8%
Source: AutoGrab

Average days to sell for used electric cars​

Meanwhile, days to sell – another measure of buyer demand – was also higher for electric vehicles when compared to the used-car market as a whole.

Latest posts

Back