• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Do you have confidence in the current administration?

Do you have confidence in the current administration?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
1. Ellison needs to go
2. Hornby needs to go
3. If Solly is in the way of Sam returning then he needs to go too.
Jack Gibson's quote that "winning begins in the front office", is certainly worth us considering. WB takes on a bit of this so maybe next year this will improve. There is no doubt that the top teams appear to have it rght.

I said no, which is probably more damning than I actually feel.

But they’ve made a few too many questionable calls of late for me to say yes.

Either things that don’t add up. Or things they just plain got wrong.

There was a period in that run of Prelims where they 100% had benefit of the doubt from me.

That’s gone.

Schaffer, JD, and O’Callaghan (as the pathways guy - not the reserve grade coach) were all busts. We know Ellison is limited. Can do a job but probably shouldn’t be given too much scope. Solly is an excellent administrator but can’t do it all.

That stadium thing was a garbage truck on fire. Latrell’s supsension wasn’t handled much better more recently. We seem to always be at war with the NRL and other third parties. It’s all very combative.

Things have been trending downward since Richo left. We haven’t had a quality recruitment guy since Hughes.

Classic case of thinking quality of personnel doesn’t matter and the entity is just bullet proof. It isn’t. The brand will only get you
so far.

Then you throw in some weird signings here and there that are just a little off, or don’t make a lot of sense.

The club have some work to do to get me back on board.

Wayne probably solves most of that in the short term, which hopefully isn’t a complete band aid.

I would hope we add some pedigree to the football dept in admin and pathways.

What a load of rubbish...by that I mean this thread, not the club.

Who says the club accepts mediocrity?

Yes, we've had a couple of poor years (or a year and a half) but since 2012 Souths have missed out on the finals just 3 times.

In that period we have won a grand final, lost a a grand final and made numerous preliminary finals.

Is that a sign of incompetence or accepting mediocrity?

And people have the audacity to claim that fans of other clubs have a sense of entitlement.

Not good enough, and the fact that you don't see it means you accept mediocrity too.

Compare to the Melbourne Storm.

Seriously, that's all you have to do.

They're a football club, run by humans. Why should their standard be impossible?

Should we not aim high?

Oh golly gee we won one grand final with some of our most generational players ever! Woo! Jobs done for another 40 years?

We're 1/4th of the way through another 40 year drought.

Aim higher.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

1) we have had a disastrous injury toll
Still doesn’t justify coming 16th and it highlights our shortcomings in planning in recruitment
2) we had the coaching saga
Self inflicted. We never went to market and interviewed for the best available coach. We took the recommendation of Wayne which has failed at every other club he’s left. We learned nothing from recent history
3) we have an interim coach
Because we appointed a shit one to begin with
4) by and large even with those issues the last 2/3rds of the year has had positives.
Yes some young guys have stood up
5) The front office is strong
Is it? The Trell, Allianz, Burgess and coaching saga seems to contradict that statement
6) The mole in the ranks has gone.
Another poor season and another will emerge
7) The LM suspension was not mismanaged the NRL again showed how inconsistent they are
We gave the NRL an open window by our interim coach declaring in a press conference that ‘ Latrell will not play again this season’
8) the CEO is a very good operator.
He’s proving to be a much better CFO than CEO
9) Footy staff yes a broom needs to go through that and will with an incoming coach
10) I do not believe we are accepting mediocrity.
Really everything speaks to the contrary
11) We will rise from the ashes of 2024.
Maybe short term, but apart from a 70 year old plus coach, who could go Biden at any minute. Where are we appointing staff with bonafide credentials from successful systems in key positions around Wayne to ensure we aren’t back here in 3 years after our shot of Wayne juice?

As has been discussed before, the prelims were almost a red flag in themselves. We entered maybe one of them as favourites and we won it, the rest we managed to get there but were never really a threat. Brave.. in the fight… absolutely but that was it.

Or the reality is that our supporter base will never be truly happy & whinge about the administration
I’m heartened that it’s pretty universal & most clubs supporters whinge equally about theirs
If you’re not top 4 every year the supporters are complaining, it’s a tough gig & you get rid of people & you could potentially make it worse
Agree and to confirm the point, we were top 4 finishers for years and the whinging was still almost as bad.
How people found constant fault with Richo was astounding!

As has been discussed before, the prelims were almost a red flag in themselves. We entered maybe one of them as favourites and we won it, the rest we managed to get there but were never really a threat. Brave.. in the fight… absolutely but that was it.
The Panthers one in 2022 where we were up 12-0 I would have loved to see Havili and Burgess coming off the bench. Not having them available for that game off the bench hurt us more than anything.

Their 2 tries in the last 5 minutes of the half knocked the wind out of us.

What hurts even more is had we somehow won that game we go on to win the premiership. Out of all the preliminary finals we lost that would have been the only one where I really think we go on to win the premiership.

Lets not throw the baby out with the bath water.

1) we have had a disastrous injury toll
2) we had the coaching saga
3) we have an interim coach
4) by and large even with those issues the last 2/3rds of the year has had positives.
5) The front office is strong
6) The mole in the ranks has gone.
7) The LM suspension was not mismanaged the NRL again showed how inconsistent they are
8) the CEO is a very good operator.
9) Footy staff yes a broom needs to go through that and will with an incoming coach
10) I do not believe we are accepting mediocrity.
11) We will rise from the ashes of 2024.
A bunch of excuses.

The LM suspension was mismanaged and the NRL being inconsistent are not mutually exclusive. Both can be true, and in this case, are true.
We accepted mediocrity for about 40 yrs from the mid 70s until Crowe took over
We’ve mismanaged so many things I’ve forgotten most of them
People seem to forget that we’re privately owned, the board consists of representatives of our owners & a few others
Despite a few hiccups the last few years, there has been some turmoil, it’s amplified because we focus on it being supporters, other clubs go through it too, we just need a bit of stability again & plan better for succession, our recruitment could be better, we could be a bit more arrogant & demanding on what we expect of junior teams, seems we still rely too heavily on Souths junior players
I think Solly is doing a good job with the club, we seem to be commercially going pretty well, Brock Schaefer seems like a bad loss
I hope the last few years is the impetus for some change, we have the means & resources to enact it
Solly has done a decent job. The commercial challenges that face the club if this lack of success continues will be the real test of his resolve (if he manages to make it that far).
The problem is our front office has always been shit.
Remember when richo signed Isaac luke without his management knowing no nrl couldn't register it until he paid his management their share?

Remember when rusty went on TV bragging about Inglis which almost cost us his signature if he didn't threaten to go to afl.

Remember when we resigned madge to only sack him less then a year later. Like the current board did with JD.

coaches getting knocked out, captains in US bar room brawls, owners on quad bikes, players ODing on pain meds. We have never had it right. The only difference is the old administration got us to 2 grandfinals.
The administration hasn't changed since the two grand finals you reference. It is essentially the same administration.

Where is the new blood? Who are the people thinking critically and demanding success?
The best thing said so far is we seemingly have the resources and means to be the best but we always come off looking cheap. Everything we do screams budget.

We need a rejig. Our pathway results are rubbish, you could barely pick 3 guys that you could say will definitely make it, we always look like we’ve picked up the scraps and no one physically or athletically looks the part. I’m tired of the “lets have 3 possible NRL players amongst the 200 junior players we contract’ approach

We continue to fail to rectify NRL squad short comings - like seriously how long have we known Tom was leaving or likely to and we havent found a replacement? Our only genuine big man who had some impact. Meanwhile the Roosters always have these massive athletic humans ready to pop straight in, I’m starting to think their model really is the way.. for a district where we dont produce genuine NRL front rowers, we should be poaching whoever is the NSW/QLD/AUS schoolboy front rowers in our system.

Anytime we’ve had adverse media in the last
12-18 months we seem to be always fighting off the ropes and just come out looking like amateurs.

Please stop talking about effort too - I dont care, that is the bare minimum requirement.
We are at another pivotal stage for South Sydney.

Recruitment and pathways needs some serious attention.

The next 5 years will either set the club up for more success or it will put us back in the wilderness for a period.
Or the reality is that our supporter base will never be truly happy & whinge about the administration
I’m heartened that it’s pretty universal & most clubs supporters whinge equally about theirs
If you’re not top 4 every year the supporters are complaining, it’s a tough gig & you get rid of people & you could potentially make it worse
If you're not top 4 every year, you're entitled to ask questions. In fact, your entitled to ask tough questions.

Why are Melbourne and the Roosters continually seeing success? More recently, why are Penrith maintaining the benchmark?

It's possible and Souths can do it but they need to properly implement a strategy and the last two years (probably longer) the strategy has been bollocks.
That just made me scream last night. Tass tries as hard as anyone in the squad, no doubt… but he is so ineffective its not funny.

He isnt fast or athletic or a demon out of the backfield or a great defensive centre.. he is meh at best in every part of the game. So why 3 years? Was another NRL club knocking the door down for him? I don’t want to see him play more than say 6 games a year because it’ll ideally mean we’re doing well.

But again we just stockpile meh - we never have a depth player with a point of difference. Tass, Kennar, Thompson etc - they are all the same. Not one of them is quicker or more athletic or better at X than the other!
Tass, Milne, Kennar, Thompson are all guys that need to be seeing less than 5 games each of first grade.

The fact that they have been regulars demonstrates a failing in recruitment from the end of the first Wayne era.

Serious questions also need to be leveled at the medical team.

Why was Eddie Farah forced out of the club?

Seems totaling bewildering when there was absolutely zero improvement in relation to the replacement personnel.
What a load of rubbish...by that I mean this thread, not the club.

Who says the club accepts mediocrity?

Yes, we've had a couple of poor years (or a year and a half) but since 2012 Souths have missed out on the finals just 3 times.

In that period we have won a grand final, lost a a grand final and made numerous preliminary finals.

Is that a sign of incompetence or accepting mediocrity?

And people have the audacity to claim that fans of other clubs have a sense of entitlement.
The only load of rubbish is your response.

Two successive years of failure entitles hard questions being asked.

Who says the club accepts mediocrity? Take a look at some fact based evidence.

Last season, Souths were a lock to make the finals after the first half of the season and we all saw how that went down. Total and utter failure.

Last season, issues should have been identified and mitigated or rectified.

Lack of depth in certain positions is probably the most significant issue that could have been identified.

What was done to rectify these issues?

The coaching staff came up with the quip "Who's better than Jacob Gagai?"

In their view, there was no talent available.

They chose to rely on the playing stocks of Gagai, Milne, Kennar & co.

Everyone is praying that Wayne's magic touch will reignite the place but it is not going to be an easy task.

We have a fullback that is lackadaisical about every aspect of his athletic performance.

We have a five eight who is in his ultimate or penultimate year.

We have no established or reliable halfback or hooker.

Is the failure to implement change or mitigate risk a sign of incompetence or mediocrity? Yes.
I said no, which is probably more damning than I actually feel.

But they’ve made a few too many questionable calls of late for me to say yes.

Either things that don’t add up. Or things they just plain got wrong.

There was a period in that run of Prelims where they 100% had benefit of the doubt from me.

That’s gone.

Schaffer, JD, and O’Callaghan (as the pathways guy - not the reserve grade coach) were all busts. We know Ellison is limited. Can do a job but probably shouldn’t be given too much scope. Solly is an excellent administrator but can’t do it all.

That stadium thing was a garbage truck on fire. Latrell’s supsension wasn’t handled much better more recently. We seem to always be at war with the NRL and other third parties. It’s all very combative.

Things have been trending downward since Richo left. We haven’t had a quality recruitment guy since Hughes.

Classic case of thinking quality of personnel doesn’t matter and the entity is just bullet proof. It isn’t. The brand will only get you
so far.

Then you throw in some weird signings here and there that are just a little off, or don’t make a lot of sense.

The club have some work to do to get me back on board.

Wayne probably solves most of that in the short term, which hopefully isn’t a complete band aid.

I would hope we add some pedigree to the football dept in admin and pathways.
Some very good points.
Not good enough, and the fact that you don't see it means you accept mediocrity too.

Compare to the Melbourne Storm.

Seriously, that's all you have to do.

They're a football club, run by humans. Why should their standard be impossible?

Should we not aim high?

Oh golly gee we won one grand final with some of our most generational players ever! Woo! Jobs done for another 40 years?

We're 1/4th of the way through another 40 year drought.

Aim higher.
Spot on.

A bunch of excuses.

The LM suspension was mismanaged and the NRL being inconsistent are not mutually exclusive. Both can be true, and in this case, are true.

Solly has done a decent job. The commercial challenges that face the club if this lack of success continues will be the real test of his resolve (if he manages to make it that far).

The administration hasn't changed since the two grand finals you reference. It is essentially the same administration.

Where is the new blood? Who are the people thinking critically and demanding success?

We are at another pivotal stage for South Sydney.

Recruitment and pathways needs some serious attention.

The next 5 years will either set the club up for more success or it will put us back in the wilderness for a period.

If you're not top 4 every year, you're entitled to ask questions. In fact, your entitled to ask tough questions.

Why are Melbourne and the Roosters continually seeing success? More recently, why are Penrith maintaining the benchmark?

It's possible and Souths can do it but they need to properly implement a strategy and the last two years (probably longer) the strategy has been bollocks.

Tass, Milne, Kennar, Thompson are all guys that need to be seeing less than 5 games each of first grade.

The fact that they have been regulars demonstrates a failing in recruitment from the end of the first Wayne era.

Serious questions also need to be leveled at the medical team.

Why was Eddie Farah forced out of the club?

Seems totaling bewildering when there was absolutely zero improvement in relation to the replacement personnel.

The only load of rubbish is your response.

Two successive years of failure entitles hard questions being asked.

Who says the club accepts mediocrity? Take a look at some fact based evidence.

Last season, Souths were a lock to make the finals after the first half of the season and we all saw how that went down. Total and utter failure.

Last season, issues should have been identified and mitigated or rectified.

Lack of depth in certain positions is probably the most significant issue that could have been identified.

What was done to rectify these issues?

The coaching staff came up with the quip "Who's better than Jacob Gagai?"

In their view, there was no talent available.

They chose to rely on the playing stocks of Gagai, Milne, Kennar & co.

Everyone is praying that Wayne's magic touch will reignite the place but it is not going to be an easy task.

We have a fullback that is lackadaisical about every aspect of his athletic performance.

We have a five eight who is in his ultimate or penultimate year.

We have no established or reliable halfback or hooker.

Is the failure to implement change or mitigate risk a sign of incompetence or mediocrity? Yes.

Some very good points.

Spot on.

The competition is pretty much designed to ensure that it’s incredibly hard to be top 4 for too long due to the salary cap, there are obviously a few ways to get around it
Hopefully our time out of that section of the ladder is coming to an end

I don’t think we’ll struggle for commercial success, even a struggling Souths sells tv, sells newspapers, sells advertising
The things that could impact that would be a complete meltdown, a catastrophic stuff up ala Melbourne salary cap

The competition is pretty much designed to ensure that it’s incredibly hard to be top 4 for too long due to the salary cap, there are obviously a few ways to get around it
Hopefully our time out of that section of the ladder is coming to an end

I don’t think we’ll struggle for commercial success, even a struggling Souths sells tv, sells newspapers, sells advertising
The things that could impact that would be a complete meltdown, a catastrophic stuff up ala Melbourne salary cap
That may be the case re the top 4. It's why it is critical to invest heavily in pathways and a production line. Clearly an area we do not prioritise!

We lost our last 8 games by the not last 7 we were 7 and 9 we finished 7 and 17.

I have no faith right now in our administration/management or pathways

Reactions: CCR
That may be the case re the top 4. It's why it is critical to invest heavily in pathways and a production line. Clearly an area we do not prioritise!

But we are, we have a ln arrangement with the Townsville blackhawks, an arrangement with Keebra park sports high, we’ve apparently invested in a Melbourne academy
We have brought a number of players down over the last few years that are playing above their ages, I don’t know if they’ll make it, I’m not sure if playing these “black rabbit” type players up a grade & amongst plodders is a good thing, do they regress? Do they lose interest? Do they go home?
I think some of this has been positive but I’d love to see more focus on putting together champion pathways teams, the welfare of these kids seems to be getting looked after with blokes like Sutton & Clark
I think the next 2-3 years are critical to see whether any of these blokes make it

That just made me scream last night. Tass tries as hard as anyone in the squad, no doubt… but he is so ineffective its not funny.

He isnt fast or athletic or a demon out of the backfield or a great defensive centre.. he is meh at best in every part of the game. So why 3 years? Was another NRL club knocking the door down for him? I don’t want to see him play more than say 6 games a year because it’ll ideally mean we’re doing well.

But again we just stockpile meh - we never have a depth player with a point of difference. Tass, Kennar, Thompson etc - they are all the same. Not one of them is quicker or more athletic or better at X than the other!
I would’ve preferred Tass stay on 2 years not 3 he offers more than Kennar, Thompson, Gagai, Milne, Myers for mine. Tass is pretty solid yes a few deficiencies but I think he’s a first grader or first back up that plays 14-15 games a year

It’ll sound like ‘being content with mediocrity’, but for me, making the prelim every year (and in a few of those years we over achieved), and making a GF with a shot at winning it once every few attempts - is what success looks like?

This Panthers run isn’t something I think is entirely replicable. Some times clubs just get it really right.

Being there abouts every year and being in with a legit chance to win every now and again is elite.

Latest posts

Back