• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Dean Hawkins

5/8 or not , the point is Lachy did no better over 2 seasons and was never called into question by those that count. Hawkins and Taaffe were never afforded the same luxury despite Blake playing really well in 2021 and being told in this year’s off season he was the best trainer and would be rewarded with 14 jumper.
I’m not saying that would have been the best fit for the team but JD went on TV news and announced it when questioned about the off season.
Blake got about 10-15 minutes over 3 weeks as 14 if I remember correctly….
The obsession with Blake astounds me.

He has had plenty of opportunities in first grade and hasnt really set the world on fire.

I think the Bulldogs will discover this at some point.

Maybe Hawkins isn’t leaving for the Pamfers yet. They have announced today signing Brad Schneider. Can’t imagine both be and Hawkins together as a back up

What I don’t understand is…

…if Dean is that good a prospect, why hasn’t he been snapped up by another club? Taaffe got snapped up by the Bulldogs (and yes, I wish we kept him).

But, apart from some rumours about going to Penrith, which doesn’t seem to be happening because they just signed another halfback, no one is interested.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Dean and love his enthusiasm. He’s done a great job in Reggies as well.

But that doesn’t appear to be translating into demand for his services by other clubs or opportunities in his preferred position in first grade here.

And yes…blah blah rookie coach blah blah favourites blah blah no pressure etc. If he was knocking down the door, he would’ve got a chance (and not at 5/8 - which we can all agree is not his position).

Maybe, just maybe Dean - at this stage - is not seen as a first grade proposition by us or any of the other 16 clubs.

Things can change and maybe Dean will stay with Souths and force his way into the top grade next season and go on to have a Cody like career…who knows. It’ll be a great story if it happens.

He will need to fix a few things in his game for that to happen though…starting with his defence.

Agree that Hawkins probably isn’t the next Nathan Cleary, or even Adam Reynolds. And yes there doesn’t appear to be a tonne of interest out there.

Not sure there’d be much for Ilias either though TBF.

Apart from maybe the Dogs? Maybe? Not seeing any other teams that would be ditching what they have to sign a defensive 7 with a poor kicking game.

The Sharks have a better backup 7 than we do starting 7.

When Reynolds rejected our offer to go to the Brisbane Broncos my first choice to replace him was Hawkins as I felt he was the most "Reynolds like" that we had in the club, based on quite a number of games I saw him play.

Unfortunately that didn't work out, but being honest neither has Ilias really.

I am at the stage now where I really think we need to look for at least a solid #7 with a kicking game.

I know a lot of people here have great faith in Jye Gray, but is he going to have the size needed, he is tiny.
Very talented, but so small.

Sandon Smith might also be worth a look.

Lets face it. We don't have great options for 7. Saw a highlight vid of Gray which was great to watch. Spectacular running game but I didn't see him kick once. Maybe just the video, but does he have a kicking game?

My recall of the Reynolds saga is that most assumed Taaffe would be the half, not Ilias, because Taaffe was the half in the lower grades. We should have never have offered Reynolds such a shitty one year deal.

Maybe Hawkins isn’t leaving for the Pamfers yet. They have announced today signing Brad Schneider. Can’t imagine both be and Hawkins together as a back up
It seems as though the Panthers have filled their final top 30 spot with the signing of Alamoti.

When Reynolds rejected our offer to go to the Brisbane Broncos my first choice to replace him was Hawkins as I felt he was the most "Reynolds like" that we had in the club, based on quite a number of games I saw him play.

Unfortunately that didn't work out, but being honest neither has Ilias really.

I am at the stage now where I really think we need to look for at least a solid #7 with a kicking game.

I know a lot of people here have great faith in Jye Gray, but is he going to have the size needed, he is tiny.
Very talented, but so small.

Sandon Smith might also be worth a look.

😂😂

What I don’t understand is…

…if Dean is that good a prospect, why hasn’t he been snapped up by another club? Taaffe got snapped up by the Bulldogs (and yes, I wish we kept him).

But, apart from some rumours about going to Penrith, which doesn’t seem to be happening because they just signed another halfback, no one is interested.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Dean and love his enthusiasm. He’s done a great job in Reggies as well.

But that doesn’t appear to be translating into demand for his services by other clubs or opportunities in his preferred position in first grade here.

And yes…blah blah rookie coach blah blah favourites blah blah no pressure etc. If he was knocking down the door, he would’ve got a chance (and not at 5/8 - which we can all agree is not his position).

Maybe, just maybe Dean - at this stage - is not seen as a first grade proposition by us or any of the other 16 clubs.

Things can change and maybe Dean will stay with Souths and force his way into the top grade next season and go on to have a Cody like career…who knows. It’ll be a great story if it happens.

He will need to fix a few things in his game for that to happen though…starting with his defence.

Wait till the Pride figure out this is exactly true for their false prophet Mamouzelous too

Agree that Hawkins probably isn’t the next Nathan Cleary, or even Adam Reynolds. And yes there doesn’t appear to be a tonne of interest out there.

Not sure there’d be much for Ilias either though TBF.

Apart from maybe the Dogs? Maybe? Not seeing any other teams that would be ditching what they have to sign a defensive 7 with a poor kicking game.

The Sharks have a better backup 7 than we do starting 7.
I fully appreciate that you and I are on different sides of this debate Poet, which is cool.

Ilias had a poor season, particularly the second half. For whatever reason, I didn’t see consistent improvement in him this season. There is a mental block there around confidence in taking the reins.

And happy to admit I’ve been a defender of his because I’ve seen the potential in what he can do.

But he needs to kick on next season or we will need to find a replacement. I just don’t think Dean is it…which is a shame because I really like the way he approaches everything.

The first half of 2024 is going to be super interesting on here, not least because of the halfback debate.

Pete will easily cover what cook does and at a much cheaper rate.
Cooky has some great aspects to himself as a person and a player, and I hope we get to see the best of him next season coming off the bench and just running, sharing the role with Pete

Pete will easily cover what cook does and at a much cheaper rate.

Nope.

Too small. Not durable enough. Not particularly athletic in any capacity including aerobically.

Not particularly talented or crafty.

A pure fringe hooker who looks good at his level (reserve grade)

He would have been snapped up a long time ago if he was the new Api 2.0 people pretend he is

Nope.

Too small. Not durable enough. Not particularly athletic in any capacity including aerobically.

Not particularly talented or crafty.

A pure fringe hooker who looks good at his level (reserve grade)

He would have been snapped up a long time ago if he was the new Api 2.0 people pretend he is
Well seeing he is signed to us hard to get snapped up.

He is still growing and is only atm 3kg lighter the Cameron Smith was. He is 6 cm shorter but that isn't an issue.

He is the same size as cook.

Latest posts

Back