• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Dean Hawkins

Earlier in the year when everything was going well we were conceding an average of 13 points a game. This was when we were playing our hardest part of the draw as well. It wasn’t an issue then.

You also are making out like Hawkins is Nathan Cleary like when it comes to his kicking game. He will have errors in his kicking game as well.

How often do you think Ilias was the one turning the ball over with poor kicks? I think you’ll find not as often as you think.

During the season there were games we were completing at less than 70%. Putting ourselves under pressure defensively. Even when things were going well.

I’ve seen poor kicks from Hawkins in NSW Cup. Seen him give away 7 tackle sets. I’ve seen him when the game is on the line in the NRL have an overlap on the last and put a terrible kick in as well.

Just remember Billy Brittain won the same award back in 2019 when he played for us.

I’m not against having a genuine option to take over Ilias. Just don’t believe that Hawkins is that guy.
If we get the Ilias that played the Sharks in Rd 1 it’s no contest - he’s our man.
If we get the Ilias at the back half of the year it’s a problem. Probably of most concern in the game against the Roosters he was not playing off the back of a beaten pack, he had a pretty good platform to work off and he was still poor.

If we get the Ilias that played the Sharks in Rd 1 it’s no contest - he’s our man.
If we get the Ilias at the back half of the year it’s a problem. Probably of most concern in the game against the Roosters he was not playing off the back of a beaten pack, he had a pretty good platform to work off and he was still poor.
You have no arguments from me there. I’ve stated previously that I would like a genuine back up that will put pressure on him. I just never felt like Dean was the guy.

Reactions: Joe
Kempy my beef is he was never tried.

Illias seemed to he protected. He shouldn't have been. He should have been dropped during the year. We are not ruthless.
The issue is we were conceding about 30 points a game. Changing the halfback when that is happening wouldn’t change a thing. Especially when you’re changing to a half that is known to be a poor defender.

If we were only conceding 2-3 tries a game and losing then you can start having that argument.

In the games that he played this year he was shown up a number of times defensively.

I maintain that it is telling that no team has been knocking down the door to sign him as a first grader.

Illias seemed to he protected. He shouldn't have been. He should have been dropped during the year. We are not ruthless.
I guess there are 2 approaches
1) you back him In completely so he plays without fear and he thrives
2) you create viable competition to get the best out of him

We went with option 1….

I remember he filled in for two games for Adam at the start of the 2021 season. I thought he went okay, the consensus was the opposite.

Cheers
I thought he looked good on all occasions except this year paired with Lachie and Taafe.

We were also down on troops in the middle of the year. So hard to sack your half when the backup is already in the team covering for your Star half that’s out.

To not even give the bloke a run stinks,he filled in at halfback the year before ad acquitted himself really well.
What’s more Hawko is a similar style half to Reyno which suited Cody our best attacking player!
Lachie doesn’t run the ball effectively and his kicking has deteriorated!

Lachie doesn’t run the ball effectively and his kicking has deteriorated!
Agreed. Both looked like potential strengths coming through. Rather than adding a bit of polish, as I hoped, he seems to have rusted.

Cheers

We were also down on troops in the middle of the year. So hard to sack your half when the backup is already in the team covering for your Star half that’s out.
When he is playing poorly you drop him.

He is not a 58 we won't know how he would have gone if given a month in firsts at halfback.
They arent really that much different.

You stand on one side of the ruck and direct attack from there.

He is not a 58 we won't know how he would have gone if given a month in firsts at halfback.
5/8 or not , the point is Lachy did no better over 2 seasons and was never called into question by those that count. Hawkins and Taaffe were never afforded the same luxury despite Blake playing really well in 2021 and being told in this year’s off season he was the best trainer and would be rewarded with 14 jumper.
I’m not saying that would have been the best fit for the team but JD went on TV news and announced it when questioned about the off season.
Blake got about 10-15 minutes over 3 weeks as 14 if I remember correctly….

Back