• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Dave Furner

If he just gets us to do the opposite of what we’ve been doing, we’ll be great.

Reactions: GPD
You can't change defensive structures on the fly, but you can start pushing the envelope a bit more defensively.

Hopefully we work on slowing down the ruck as much as possible.

I'm all for it right now. It might not be a big coaching addition to get super excited about, but it's something. The club is trying something at least and trying to bring in change. Furner is a decent coach and a senior coach with experience, which is what this relatively young coaching staff probably needs. What's more, he's a new voice that hasn't been around the club during our downward spiral so that's good news. He can come in with a fresh slate, and hopefully drive some new standards.

I don't think it's a 'JD signing' as such. We've seen that JD can be very stubborn so I doubt he's putting his hand up and saying "I need help here." If he has done that, then it's a massive change in attitude. I believe this would have been club driven.

I get what people are saying about his record at the Dogs and Tigers but that was a completely different situation. We have a better roster and better players on paper, it's about getting them to respond and get back to their best now. Can Furner do that? I don't know. I honestly don't know.

But you know what, it's worth a shot, we have to give it a try and it might just work! You never know.

But welcome back Furnsy!! Please fix us.

I don’t think he needs to ‘convince them to take control of the defence’. He’s the coach. I imagine there’s an element of trust in his way of doing things. If they second guessed everything we’d get the calls of ‘Richo picks the team’. He’s the head coach. You either empower him or you don’t.

My guess is that there was a thought that a staff of JD, Sam, Morris, Hornby and Sutton was considered a tad overdone? Superfluous bodies in the tent perhaps?

Sutton and Sam felt a little like club legends that were auto-adds (above maybe being the best candidates given their experience).

Sutt definitely, but have you seen Warrington play?

Sam can coach. Not sure whether he is NRL ready yet. But Warrington look like a well coached team

You can't change defensive structures on the fly, but you can start pushing the envelope a bit more defensively.

Hopefully we work on slowing down the ruck as much as possible.
Why not?

We have two weeks.

If a group of random club players can be bought in for a 10 day Origin camp and learn a new defensive structure from what they play at club level, there’s no reason it can’t be done at club level

Most coaches are extraordinarily ego driven. They don’t like to change what isn’t working as that’s an admission that they got it wrong.

JDs the perfect example. Well now’s the time to drop the ego or he’ll be gone

I don't think it's a 'JD signing' as such. We've seen that JD can be very stubborn so I doubt he's putting his hand up and saying "I need help here." If he has done that, then it's a massive change in attitude. I believe this would have been club driven.
I hope he is saying "i need help here" why would anyone refuse to have extra staff underneath them?

Sam can coach. Not sure whether he is NRL ready yet. But Warrington look like a well coached team
One could have said that the first year JD took over from Bennett and took us to another Prelim

Give Sammie a couple of years before passing judgement I reckon.

One could have said that the first year JD took over from Bennett and took us to another Prelim

Actually I said halfway through that season he couldn’t coach.

The team was carried at the backend by some great individual efforts, mostly Trell and Cody

We got lucky with Tom taking out Teddy as he was killing us through the middle in the semi otherwise it would of been an early exit

Under JD we have never had line speed, great wrestle, kick chase or consistency in completions and defence resolve on our line.

Watch Warrington’s line speed and kick chase. They have a pretty average roster yet they are winning by the defensive pressure they apply on the opposition

They look a lot like us in 2012-14. Even their attacking shapes are great and they are in position from tackle 1 not bunched behind the ptb with hands on hips

The only time I JD might have something was after we beat Penrith last year. But after watching it again later, I came to the realisation that was just the emotion of a great come from behind win against a team that was far from their best.

I’m not advocating for Sam to be here next season. Just saying I’m pleasantly surprised by what I’m seeing

That said, if Madge or Bennett were to be head coach with Sam appointed as defensive co-ordinator, ( not just an assistant but the guy controlling and running defence from NRL down to ball ) I’d be happy with it.

Similarly if Gould pulls the trigger on Ciraldo, I certainly have him in the same role

TBF Shauno, you led your chin with that one 🤣 👆.

I don’t think anyone is seriously suggesting that we appoint Sam as Head Coach next year.

Even Madge said on Matty Johns’ podcast that he needs to learn his trade.

And I think he needs to come back and coach another NRL team before taking over one of the biggest leagues club’s on the planet.

Time will tell how it plays out, but I think he needs 3 years in Super League at least to build his capability.

Wash your mouth out Prowsey. He does not need to coach another NRL side.

Wash your mouth out Prowsey. He does not need to coach another NRL side.
😂

I truly think he does. Or at least become an assistant at another NRL club.

You don’t learn by sticking inside 1 system.

Wayne will still be coaching when he comes back. Get him as his assistant for another couple of years.

Imagine Sam wearing a Storm, Roosters, or Panthers jersey. 😳🤮
Just no.

I don’t think anyone is seriously suggesting that we appoint Sam as Head Coach next year.
Mate, there have been lots of posts here calling for Sam to come back as head coach. Stupidity.

On that, we 100% agree, totally not ready and he needs a few years displaying some results before anyone takes the punt on him I reckon too

Back