• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Dave Furner

Seems like one of JD's mates.

Which in my opinion has been part of the issue with him signing players and people he previously worked with.

Are they just yes men?

furner at the tigers last year and the bulldogs for two years previous to that.

We are one of those bottom teams now, didn't see any improvement at those clubs in those years

Yeah I changed my mind a little on it on hearing it's to be defensive coach.
Track record doesn't suggest good results

Well I guess Souths can do what Pride posters do which is sit on their hands and tell everyone how they know everything and have all the answers, or they can introduce change to try to seek improvement and progress on what has so far been a disaster in 2024.

If you factor in contracts, potential payouts and public/sponsor perceptions regarding how we handled this situation then it's a very smart move, ticks a number of boxes and has Pappas written all over it.

Well I guess Souths can do what Pride posters do which is sit on their hands and tell everyone how they know everything and have all the answers, or they can introduce change to try to seek improvement and improve what has so far been a disaster in 2024.
It is getting a bit much isn’t it.

I hope Dave can prove me/us wrong but it still feels like we are a slowly sinking ship at the moment.

Hard to read this one. Was this a JD signing as suggested or are souths making sure they have a caretaker in the ranks.

I don't believe this is a JD signing.

This has all the hallmarks of the board saying to the coach you need help, and we will get Furner on board to assist in the area we need it the most - defence.

It also serves the function of having a caretaker coach in the ranks when the coach is moved on.

I don't believe this is a JD signing.

This has all the hallmarks of the board saying to the coach you need help, and we will get Furner on board to assist in the area we need it the most - defence.

It also serves the function of having a caretaker coach in the ranks when the coach is moved on.
Completely understand what you’re saying but on the flipside what evidence or spiel did JD sell them to convince them in the first place to give him control of the defence?

How different can teams be defending structurally/style wise? Surely there is only so many ways and you’d likely copy the successful teams more often than not? How different could Furners style and input possibly be to JD, Hornby, Sutto who have been involved in top flight League for the last 20 years?

I just can’t get my head around what this achieves and how Furner will be judged. How long does he get? If we go another month conceding 30 on avg is he a failure?

I’ll be realllyyyyyy surprised if we see any significant improvement defensively.

Completely understand what you’re saying but on the flipside what evidence or spiel did JD sell them to convince them in the first place to give him control of the defence?

How different can teams be defending structurally/style wise? Surely there is only so many ways and you’d likely copy the successful teams more often than not? How different could Furners style and input possibly be to JD, Hornby, Sutto who have been involved in top flight League for the last 20 years?

I just can’t get my head around what this achieves and how Furner will be judged. How long does he get? If we go another month conceding 30 on avg is he a failure?

I’ll be realllyyyyyy surprised if we see any significant improvement defensively.
I don’t think he needs to ‘convince them to take control of the defence’. He’s the coach. I imagine there’s an element of trust in his way of doing things. If they second guessed everything we’d get the calls of ‘Richo picks the team’. He’s the head coach. You either empower him or you don’t.

My guess is that there was a thought that a staff of JD, Sam, Morris, Hornby and Sutton was considered a tad overdone? Superfluous bodies in the tent perhaps?

Sutton and Sam felt a little like club legends that were auto-adds (above maybe being the best candidates given their experience).

When they said goodbye to Morris and Burgess, adding the NSW Cup winning O’Callaghan to Hornby, Sutton, and JD seemed reasonable.

Putting a previous club friend (and a guy who almost got the gig ahead of Siebold back in the day by reports) in , given what’s happened, also makes sense.

It’s not THE fix, but a step towards a remedy. There are few guarantees in these sorts of moves.

That’s just my external read.

The way I see it, after the collapse last year and the conflict with Sam, the coach convinced the board that the problem was two-fold - division/disharmony caused by Sam not being on the same page, and poor defence.

Sam was moved on.

The coach wanted control of defence purely to make sure that this side of the game was addressed by him without any potential conflict from an assistant - the board may have preferred that he have an assistant but was content for the head coach to have his way as he us ultimately accountable, but also any failure in our defence would fall fairly and squarely on the coach. There could be no buck-passing to an assistant.

The board backs the coach to turns things around and allows him the opportunity to fix it his way. They reason - I think fairly - that he deserves this opportunity given he took this squad to a prelim final the previous year.

It turns out that the coach was unable to turn things around. The defence is just as bad as last year. The board can now say to him "we backed you, but it didn't work. You need help and we will get it for you."

Further, the advantage of someone like Furner is that he was not around when the shit hit the fan last year. To me Hornby may be compromised if he backed JD's ways in the crap that went down last year. When Furner delivers his message, it will not carry the baggage of last year's culture. Furner IMO is a decent choice for caretaker coach when JD is moved on. This is just as important as fixing our defence for this year.

I still think the key in all of these discussions is "the message".
It's being given, but not received. Probably both ways. One can still have harmony in the ranks (apart from the frustration of losing obviously) where everyone generally gets on, but the messaging gets lost. Ultimately, amoung a few other things, that is bringing JD down.
And why a new voice with slightly different messaging might be the catalyst for change.

Who knows.
But I hope it works

Back