• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Adam Reynolds

You told me to go back and watch the games I said I don’t need too and gave reasons why. If he was good enough Wayne would have him as starting 7 next year and Wayne did not want that. I’ll back his judgment.

Also I gave Lachy some credit I said his defence was pretty good that’s a compliment if I was so bias I would not have said that.
So I guess we could say that in the eyes of Wayne Bennett Damien Cook isn’t good enough either?

I seem to remember the talk in the media by former players was positive around Lachie after his first year. Coming first up to round 11 there was no issue then. Sure he had his shortcomings, but we beat the Panthers, Broncos and Storm in back to back to back weeks with him as our halfback.

For whatever reason the wheels fell off. Our forward pack that was dominating so much was now struggling. Our great defence disappeared. The shortcomings on Lachie were getting exposed.

But he wasn’t alone there. Cody too was struggling. Funny enough the blame for that seemed to fall on the shoulders of Lachie rather than Cody himself. See where I’m going with this?

The talk by many including a former player/coach was it was all the halfbacks fault. I really didn’t get that as there were a couple of games where we scored 30 points and still lost. How could we blame the halfback after those losses?

We saw what happened when JD finally dropped Lachie and brought what a few thought was the savour. The funny thing at the same time Lachie actually looked much better and doing things we didn’t see in first grade. Up until he was injured.

All in the same time we were still losing.

Then we saw JD sacked. Our form started to turn around. It took us a few weeks, but you could see improvement there. Then we went on a run.

So could it be that Lachie wasn’t the problem, but the coach? Hard to say. But Lachie was decent enough his first 18 months.

Wayne will make the tough decisions. Some we won’t like. Funnily enough it was Braith who made the move of wanting to look elsewhere.

So much hysteria for a bloke that's only been able to win a comp when carried on the back of Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess, and failed at his other 7 attempts when in the final 4.

Yeah you can argue he is miles better than what we have, and you're right. But him leaving hasn't cost us any premierships.

Until he wins a comp with the Broncos I will lose exactly 0mins of sleep over it.

So I guess we could say that in the eyes of Wayne Bennett Damien Cook isn’t good enough either?

I seem to remember the talk in the media by former players was positive around Lachie after his first year. Coming first up to round 11 there was no issue then. Sure he had his shortcomings, but we beat the Panthers, Broncos and Storm in back to back to back weeks with him as our halfback.

For whatever reason the wheels fell off. Our forward pack that was dominating so much was now struggling. Our great defence disappeared. The shortcomings on Lachie were getting exposed.

But he wasn’t alone there. Cody too was struggling. Funny enough the blame for that seemed to fall on the shoulders of Lachie rather than Cody himself. See where I’m going with this?

The talk by many including a former player/coach was it was all the halfbacks fault. I really didn’t get that as there were a couple of games where we scored 30 points and still lost. How could we blame the halfback after those losses?

We saw what happened when JD finally dropped Lachie and brought what a few thought was the savour. The funny thing at the same time Lachie actually looked much better and doing things we didn’t see in first grade. Up until he was injured.

Then we saw JD sacked. Our form started to turn around. It took us a few weeks, but you could see improvement there. Then we went on a run.

So could it be that Lachie wasn’t the problem, but the coach? Hard to say. But Lachie was decent enough his first 18 months.

Wayne will make the tough decisions. Some we won’t like. Funnily enough it was Braith who made the move of wanting to look elsewhere.
I’ve talked to you before about making sense Kempy!

Now stop it.

So much hysteria for a bloke that's only been able to win a comp when carried on the back of Greg Inglis and Sam Burgess, and failed at his other 7 attempts when in the final 4.

Yeah you can argue he is miles better than what we have, and you're right. But him leaving hasn't cost us any premierships.

Until he wins a comp with the Broncos I will lose exactly 0mins of sleep over it.
I don’t want to go down a rabbit hole arguing a point that deviates from the general discussion.

But that tone suggests not making the 8 and making the 4 but losing in a Prelim are the same thing. I.e, no premiership, who cares where you finish.

Do we win a comp 2022 and 2023 with Reynolds? Probably not.

Do we make the 8 last year? Yeah, I think we do.

You might argue that’s a good thing as if Reynolds is here, JD might still be our coach, with Bennett coaching elsewhere in 2025. So perhaps we should be happy re the unmitigated disaster of the last 18 months as it ensures 3 likely good years coming up. :)

Last edited:

He doesn’t have the skills Kempy. Or hasn’t shown them to date.

I asked the question in April last year while we were winning asking how long we would continue with a 7 that was outputting what Lachie was (a good game against the Sharks and field goal against Manly aside). The answer was about 12 months. So yes, there were issues in his game even when we were winning.

He was solid defensively in 2021 (that was the wrap Joey gave him) but similar to Flanagan at the Roosters or Croft at the Storm, the team got him to a Prelim, not the other way around.

There was little to no development in his game in 2022 and in particular, his kicking game was shown up as a weakness that wasn’t progressing. Ability to make decisions under pressure, etc also lacked.

Then yes, to start 2023 the wheels fell off the side completely and that’s not Ilias’ fault. Not at all.

But he hasn’t shown anything in 50 games to suggest he’s a good team’s long term 7. Hence why the club went and bought another 7 while he still had a year to run on his deal (unlike Cook it wasn’t a cap issue, we’ve paid more for his replacement).

Maybe he figures something out in his later 20’s. Certainly his development was hampered by COVID and he was brought into grade too early to cover a hole in the squad.

Last edited:

What was lachie good at? In actual halfback play not defence.

He was carried. He had no positive say on the result.

He doesn’t have the skills Kempy. Or hasn’t shown them to date.

I started a thread early last year while we were winning asking how long we would continue with a 7 that was outputting what Lachie was (2 good games against the Sharks and another that escapes my recollection aside). The answer was about 12 months. So yes, there were issues in his game even when we were winning.

He was solid defensively in 2021 (that was the wrap Joey gave him - nothing else) but similar to Flanagan at the Roosters or Croft at the Storm, the team got him to a Prelim, not the other way around.

There was little to no development in his game in 2022 and in particular, his kicking game was shown up as a real weakness that wasn’t progressing. Ability to make decisions under pressure, etc also lacked.

Then yes, to start 2023 the wheels fell off the side completely and that’s not Ilias’ fault. Not at all.

But he hasn’t shown anything in 50 games to suggest he’s a good team’s long term 7. Hence why the club went and bought another 7 while he still had a year to run on his deal (unlike Cook it wasn’t a cap issue, we’ve paid more for his replacement).

Maybe he figures something out in his later 20’s. Certainly his development was hampered by COVID and he was brought into grade too early to cover a hole in the squad.
FYI cook isn’t just a cap issue, don’t let Wayne’s comments in the media shape that view

Horrible take. Arguably the two best players ever only won 2 premierships - Joey and Thurston and JT’s first one he was a late replacement so legitimately only 1 premiership.

FYI cook isn’t just a cap issue, don’t let Wayne’s comments in the media shape that view
It would 100% be a factor though. If he was on peanuts who cares if he’s here?

Last edited:
All the conjecture and speculation; blame laying is really wasted. Not wanting to censor expression of opinion because that is what a forum is for. The same 'conclusions' that we couldn't win with Reyno or Lachie are all based on subjective opinion. If we need any proof of how outcomes are impacted by so many factors that defy rational explanations our last 20 months should be enough. From the penthouse to the shit house then back to the mezzanine level with our on field performances. There are so many moving parts and at the heart of all this are human beings the most complicated of all creatures - what really makes them tick? Anyway a little Deep for a Saturday morning (Deep by name Deep by nature; for those that know my true persona they will get this)...if it makes you happy or lets you vent either way continue in good health but also in good nature. Lets not get overly personal about what coulda, shoulda, never happened....except for Prowsey...still trolling you mate :cool: ....yeah, nah only joking. The one thing we all share is the hope of seeing our mighty football club regain its position as the Pride of the League. glory, glory

You've gotta feel sorry for Dodd. He'll be pushing uphill with the Reyno mob before he even laces a boot with us. One thing he has going for him is that he has proven in the World Club Challenge that he doesn't choke when it comes to big moments. There seem to be an awful lot of ex-halfbacks on this forum given their expert assumptions of how a 7 is supposed to perform, it's quite amazing.

Last edited:

Who is he again ? 😴

On Dodd, the WCC thing is one of the most overblown proof points of late. It’s up there with Cook being a beach sprinter.

Lachie kicked game winning field goals.

Let’s not pretend the WCC is Origin or something.

On Dodd, the WCC thing is one of the most overblown proof points of late. It’s up there with Cook being a beach sprinter.

Lachie kicked game winning field goals.

Let’s not pretend the WCC is Origin or something.
No it's a nothing game.🙄 Only the best two club sides from Australia and England play in it. Yeh ,that's a nothing game. I think it's of a little more importance then your average premiership winning field goals. It was a massive pressure moment and Dodd had the kahunas to nail it.

Latest posts

Back