• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

2024 State of Origin

The hatred is a funny thing, ive lived in Brisbane all my life, when people have said to me how much they hate NSW my first question is " have you ever been there"?, and no is the usual answer, if you think QLD is all so beautiful go for a drive between Brisbane and Rockhampton, 600klm of mostly crap scrub, coastline of NSW is far better as well, my family on mothers side came from around Kempsey, ive found NSW people wonderful and personally dont get the hate, its all a bit hillbilly like, what i dont like is SOO, too much interruption to the season for clubs and its all you hear on the footy shows, be glad when its over and our players come out uninjured.

From memory, we played the bulldogs last year with 7 players injured and then we lost our 4 remaining best players to SOO3. 11 players out and only went down by 4. A win would have had us finish in 7th spot and in the finals.
The origin should not continue in its current format ... favouring some teams and penalising others. Just garbage.
Alsi, in the last 3 years, Souths have had 2 games where players NOT elligible for club matches ... Yet Penrith have only had 1 match with players not elligible for 3 years in a row.
How is this fair?
Origin can ruin teams chances for finals...should NOT be this way!!!
I think 50% of footy fans agree with this 100%.

The problem is the 50% who are convinced it’s the only way. And a lot of the media reside in that 50%.

That 50% also believe SOO is more important than the NRL competition. Hence they are fine to live with it.

Unfortunately, the game has administration, not leadership. So issues like this, national development programs, season length, and live crowds will never get prioritised. They don’t have a direct and instant connection to a revenue lever.

I think 50% of footy fans agree with this 100%.

The problem is the 50% who are convinced it’s the only way. And a lot of the media reside in that 50%.

That 50% also believe SOO is more important than the NRL competition. Hence they are fine to live with it.

Unfortunately, the game has administration, not leadership. So issues like this, national development programs, season length, and live crowds will never get prioritised. They don’t have a direct and instant connection to a revenue lever.
Viewpoints vary wildly on SOO from strong like to strong dislike.
Cant please everyone, but at least it should be fair for all teams.
Nrl teams are multi-million businesses after all with strong supporter and sponsor bases.
Either have dedicated 3 week period during nrl rounds for origin, or at year end, or get rid of it and replace with expanded international plan (unlikely).
But at least it would be fairer for all clubs and their fans!

From memory, we played the bulldogs last year with 7 players injured and then we lost our 4 remaining best players to SOO3. 11 players out and only went down by 4. A win would have had us finish in 7th spot and in the finals.
So in some sort of weird way last years Origin did us a favour long term then? 😉

So in some sort of weird way last years Origin did us a favour long term then? 😉
Who can tell what the future holds?
But on this theme, I thought we were in for a really tough year...
- toughest draw in the nrl this year?
- first 9 rounds very tough. If we play really well, we lose heaps to SOO
- if we do poorly, our ladder position suffers
- then we play many rounds without a bye to finish the regular season so we would likely be burnt out either way. Unless we finished in top 4 with points to spare allowing us to rest players for the finals
Little did we know how bad the year would be.
However, looking on the bright side I am still very optimistic for the future...some wins to finish the year will be worth savouring!
Die hard fans never stop believing:)

The origin should not continue in its current format ... favouring some teams and penalising others. Just garbage.
Alsi, in the last 3 years, Souths have had 2 games where players NOT elligible for club matches ... Yet Penrith have only had 1 match with players not elligible for 3 years in a row.
How is this fair?
Origin can ruin teams chances for finals...should NOT be this way!!!

If we won that game and made the finals we could still have JD as coach

This reinforces the point.

It's sad that you have no pride in where you come from. It seems you're not alone, not just within this club, but other clubs as well.

At the end of the day, a club is another franchise. Fighting for corporate dollars and supporters. There is really not much that is tangible or common in why we support a club, apart from supporting the club itself. Rep footy on the other hand. There's the common thread that we're all NSWmen or QLDers.

It's as though being a NSWmen, or even being Australian these days, is something to be ashamed of. I mean look at you. You seem to wish you were someone, or somewhere else. You don't have to hate QLD. But at least love the place you're from. After all, it isn't hate that gets QLD through series after series. It's the love for their family, QLD supporters, the place they're from, and it is returned in spades.

The way we carry on down here is akin to England football supporters. Criticising the national team at every opp. No wonder they've won jack shit.
The sad thing is that you miss the point of being a Rabbitoh.

LOL at thinking some arbitrary internal land boundaries should define you.

It has been interesting reading the last couple of pages of this thread. The recurring theme of Qld hatred toward us New South Welshman has initiated some reflection.

I moved from Cronulla to Queensland's Sunshine Coast in 1988. I was a 32 year old father of a one year old and very happily married. My other two kids were born in Qld. I have now been here for 36 years and must admit I have never had hatred displayed to me. I recall going to the old Lang Park in the early 90's to watch SOO on the hill and never did I feel hated. Maybe it was because I was with cane toads I had become friends with. Anyway, in those days it was good old school banter but never the vitriol of hate. Same today but maybe it because of my age and the respect that being in my late 60's brings from the younger generations.

So do I hate the SOO: no I enjoy it for the standard of footy. Do I care who wins, bloody oath up the blues. If they lose I get annoyed but not to the level I do when Souths do after all they are the main event.

I think this love of QLD crap is overcooked.
You don't live in QLD if you think that.
I was born here, live here (having some time in Sydney inbetween) and the locals are as parochial as it comes. I think it's in part an inferior complex expressing itself as superiority, but their football allows for it hey

Some of the interviews Maguire has given it doesn't appear he has changed, always appears a little snarly and intense. The dude needs to relax a bit, gives a bad vibe and he must accept he made mistakes in his selections in Game 1.

Latest posts

Back