• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

2023 All Stars

After a dismal day watching the Pathways sides (and losing to Manly on Friday) the game really raised my morale firstly because there were no injuries. Tass did nothing wrong and held his own in that standard. Cody was great but Latrell had a sub-par game. Shaq was the standout. He had very strong carries, a bit of a passing game and solid defence so with the injury to Sele I expect him to make the 17 for round 1.

Cheers
Harsh on Latrell. They had him playing multiple positions and he didn’t get a chance to run much but his touches were pure class.

Cobbo very good player. But I think Mitchell would prefer AJ on the left after tonight. :)

Solid hit out for all 4 Souths boys.

Can’t wait for the Charity Sheila next week.
Yep, Cobbo will have to play on our right.

Trell didn’t play at the back… hence the limited runs. Made some cracking passes. Most of which Cobbo dropped. Shaq looked really good. Tass didn’t get on until late and didn’t do anything wrong. And Cody was Cody.
Tass was on in the first quarter. He made the good run at the 18 minute mark that gave the momentum and space to let Latrell perfectly setup Cobbo, for Cobbo to bomb it.

Harsh on Latrell. They had him playing multiple positions and he didn’t get a chance to run much but his touches were pure class.
Well I'd expect a lot more from Latrell when the season starts. Yes he was moved around but he could have done a lot better considering he is a super-star. If it was Tass I would say an okay game but for Latrell is was definitely below what he can do.

Cheers

A couple of things.

Firstly I have no idea why people are so bogged down and obsessed with how many metres a fullback makes, when it proves absolutely nothing.

If a fullback is playing against a team like Penrith who kick deep and sometimes early, the fullback will take the ball and probably run around 20 to 30 metres before he even meets the defensive line, even if he gets smashed to the ground once they contact.

Do that 5 times in each half and you have run metre figures of 200 to 300 hundred for the game, but have not really made any ground through the defence or contributed much overall.

Conversely, a full back could finish the game with say 60 metres, which could include a line break, a try, and a try assist. But people would bag him for not being involved enough.

I honestly feel people listen to commentators far too much and don’t actually evaluate the contribution of a player, they will just go on stats.

Latts has already been bagged by some for his game yesterday. I thought he had a good game, almost every instance of good football, he was involved in, some of his touches in attack and defence were classy stuff.

Yet we see Tedesco almost every game running backwards, sideways, and making the attack break down by hogging the ball, yet people jump into a circle-jerk over him because he might have 250 metres for the game.

Seriously, listen less to alleged experts and their stats, and instead actually watch the game and trust your eyes.

A couple of things.

Firstly I have no idea why people are so bogged down and obsessed with how many metres a fullback makes, when it proves absolutely nothing.

If a fullback is playing against a team like Penrith who kick deep and sometimes early, the fullback will take the ball and probably run around 20 to 30 metres before he even meets the defensive line, even if he gets smashed to the ground once they contact.

Do that 5 times in each half and you have run metre figures of 200 to 300 hundred for the game, but have not really made any ground through the defence or contributed much overall.

Conversely, a full back could finish the game with say 60 metres, which could include a line break, a try, and a try assist. But people would bag him for not being involved enough.

I honestly feel people listen to commentators far too much and don’t actually evaluate the contribution of a player, they will just go on stats.

Latts has already been bagged by some for his game yesterday. I thought he had a good game, almost every instance of good football, he was involved in, some of his touches in attack and defence were classy stuff.

Yet we see Tedesco almost every game running backwards, sideways, and making the attack break down by hogging the ball, yet people jump into a circle-jerk over him because he might have 250 metres for the game.

Seriously, listen less to alleged experts and their stats, and instead actually watch the game and trust your eyes.
Yep. I like magic more than I like metres.

You can say the same for runs. It doesn't count statistically as a run unless you get tackled but one of Latrell's strengths is avoiding being taken to ground in most of his involvements.

Honestly bro there was soooo many Souths supporters there! I met a few. Everyone I saw who looked pretty hard out, I went and chatted to. Even saw a few fellow members caps getting around. Pretty cool.
How far did you have to travel to get to the game I’m assuming around a 4hrs drive?

He should have had 2 additional try assists.

Cobbo takes those passes and Trell’s game is headline worthy.

I agree with Christian.

I thought Trell had a pretty good game, got involved in the line on a number of occasions and his passing was pretty on song.

Cobbo should’ve taken that first pass but it was a bit high.

I can’t remember Tass playing yesterday, but I’ll trust the pride that he played good.

And Shaq had a strong game.

Trell wasn't bad but I'd certainly say he didn't do a hell of a lot. A few really pivotal, classy touches, but that's about it.

I didn't want to say too much until I got home and watched the game on TV but being there and watching it live, Trell looked a little off the pace.

Do we think it's any cause for concern? By all reports, he's the fittest he's ever been this time of year so I'm not sure that it's a fitness issue.

Hopefully it's more just him coasting through the game a bit so he's not putting himself at risk. If that's the case, I'm not complaining.

I'm not saying there is any cause for concern as I believe he was reserving himself and he'll turn it on when it really matters.

How far did you have to travel to get to the game I’m assuming around a 4hrs drive?
Bang on mate!!!! 4 hour drive.

Anyways, what a fantastic All Stars week. One of the best I can remember. The coverage and build up during the week was great, made sure I was soaking it all in. And then that game and being there live just topped it all off.

It's days like that yesterday that I am extremely proud to be a Kiwi. Our country put on a great show.

Back