• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Winning It From the Bottom Half of the Eight

bigbopper

Immortal Member
Reaction score
Well it's now clear that to win the premiership we'll have to do it from somewhere in the 5th to 8th group. Our best hope now is to finish high enough to get a home final in the first week. Can we do it? Yes! Eventually a club will win it from there and why not us this year :) Last night we showed that we have much more potential than Cronulla. Ilias had another poor game (he seems to get them occasionally) while Cody struggled. Latrell did next to nothing except miss field goals. Yet we still went so close. It looks like we've lost Cartwright and Tom will get an extended holiday. So the next few weeks will be tough. I hope Nicholls is back soon.

Our mid-season signings of Suluka-Fifita and Nikorima have been very timely. Kodi brings a lot of experience and gives us a bit of cover for injury. I like Suluka-Fifiata. and with Tom's absence JD will have to give him a bit more game time in the coming weeks.

Our pack is magnificent. Again last night they showed their strength against a very tough set of forwards who were playing at home. Arrow, Murray, Koloamatangi, Burgess, Cook, Tatola and Havili (what a good signing he's been) will power us through next week and against the Eels. Hopefully we'll have Nicholls back soon but we might be missing Tom for a while.

JD has to fire up our left side attack by using it from inside our own half. That will give Walker a bit more room - he is getting frustrated with the defence being all over him when we play the ball from one metre out. With Campbell Graham back our outside backs go up a notch. So we've got to wait until the Penrith game for that. Tass is coming along nicely and AJ is just pouring on the tries. Paulo is probably our best option but it's not a great one.

Goal kicking (and now field goal kicking) will be a worry.

Next week and beyond we have to see Latrell up his involvement and his has to continue it for the rest of the season. His had enough time since his return to do that. Our halves were poor last night and whatever happens I'm sure we won't see that again - Ilias has the occasional bad game but some the finals campaign we can't afford it.

I guess the one positive to come out of last night is that gives us the chance to make history by winning premiership from the bottom half of the eight.

Cheers

I don’t think Tom will get a lot of weeks for that tackle.

It was an overreaction by the Ref, who may have been thinking that it was a grand gesture with not much time left to play.

It was careless at best.

But of course it’s the judiciary so anything can happen I guess.

I thought it was a big ask us making the 4 from where we were. Strangely we are still 2 points out of the top 4. At the same time we are 2 points from 9th. A strange predicament we are in. We could still make the top 4 yet still miss the 8.

We now have a stronger points differential than both Eels and Broncos. The Storm are a different story. Even watching them the other night they are really struggling.

Win our next 2 and I think we will be safe for the 8. We could start to talk about the top 4 again if results go our way.

Last night I said would be our toughest game heading into the finals. We were a missed field goal away from being equal 3rd and 5th on the ladder. One thing we would have taken out of that game is that our forwards can dominate theirs. Just need our spine on.

Having Campbell back will really help us.

Surely Tom can ask for one of JWH’s special fine passes.

Not our season. Watch other games, there are teams far stronger than us. Only way we can have a shot at the title is other teams injuries or suspensions like Cleary last night.

Not our season. Watch other games, there are teams far stronger than us. Only way we can have a shot at the title is other teams injuries or suspensions like Cleary last night.
Only team that are so far in front of us is Penrith. They are also so far in front of everyone else. Injury and suspension to their halves has helped.

I see a few cracks starting to show in the Cowboys. We know the story of the Storm. Brisbane couldn’t beat the Tigers last night. Parra has been well off apart from Friday night.

We played the Sharks at their home ground and took them to golden point. Only losing due to inaccurate field goal attempts. Sharks are right up there this year and we went toe to toe with them.

Our forwards dominated theirs. Our halves let us down. Losing Jed really hurt with the reshuffle. I think we are much closer than you think.

Only team that are so far in front of us is Penrith. They are also so far in front of everyone else. Injury and suspension to their halves has helped.

I see a few cracks starting to show in the Cowboys. We know the story of the Storm. Brisbane couldn’t beat the Tigers last night. Parra has been well off apart from Friday night.

We played the Sharks at their home ground and took them to golden point. Only losing due to inaccurate field goal attempts. Sharks are right up there this year and we went toe to toe with them.

Our forwards dominated theirs. Our halves let us down. Losing Jed really hurt with the reshuffle. I think we are much closer than you think.
This.

We lost to Cronulla last night…they didn’t win.

They scored a good try down their right edge. An absolute freak of a try by their winger…try of the year for mine, but if not in the top 3.

And then sloppy defence by our markers let that fat bastard Fifita score.

I’m in a more positive space now…that loss will galvanise us to go on a run.

We’ll finish 5th and win it from there!! (I did say I was in a more positive space!)

Spot - our pack doesn't get enough credit and we have reasonable amount of depth with Host and Knight gone for the season and Nicholls missing last night.

We have to get the halves sorted.

Cheers

Spot - our pack doesn't get enough credit and we have reasonable amount of depth with Host and Knight gone for the season and Nicholls missing last night.

We have to get the halves sorted.

Cheers

Sadly liam is only a loss because he took up salary cap & a playing space.

We won’t make the top 4. Best we can hope is top 6. Cody and Lachy didn’t gel last night or take control. We can’t have our halfback tackled 3 times on tackle 6 without kicking either. Both Cody and Lachy very poor last night.

Now Campbell out another couple of weeks, Trell has to go back to Fullback so I guess Milne comes back in.

5th is not too bad a spot this season. 4th will get you vs Penrith first up most likely with Cleary and Luaii back fit and raring to go. Much rather get a softer first week at Accor and then face a first week losing team next up. If it’s Sharks or Eels or even the Broncos you’d have a fair chance of progressing further.

I'd be very happy if you are right. I don't think we have the halves pairing to win this season, as I said unless we get some injuries and suspensions to other top 4 teams.

I don't think we have the halves pairing to win this season,

cant agree at all.
we beat the storm, rorters & eels with our supposed dud halves. If the halves were a smidgen better or the rub of the green went our way last night, we beat the sharks
that clearly shows we can

cant agree at all.
we beat the storm, rorters & eels with our supposed dud halves. If the halves were a smidgen better or the rub of the green went our way last night, we beat the sharks
that clearly shows we can
Walker and illias were poor last night. We can't win a premiership based on a coin flip of Wether our halves turn up and have a good game. We won't win this season unless we're gifted some opposition team injuries or suspensions.

Back