• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

What's your best possible team for the rest of the season at Round 7?

I would like to see J. Gray hold the FB spot I think personally. Whether that happens I have no idea.

The Shaun Johnson turn-around in form is one of the most amazing things I've seen.

He was one of the worst half-backs in the game when he was at the Sharks. I'm tempted to do a brow and resurrect some threads, but I'd be shocked if anyone thought it a good idea to sign him when he left the Sharks.

That's the thing with this game...you really cannot predict a player's trajectory.
Elite players generally perform well in good environments.

Johnson was always a top tier talent. Like all the Warriors, he’s playing to his ability now he’s in a quality environment.

People wanted John Sutton sacked during the end of the Lang years (not an embellishment). Under Madge he’s a premiership winning captain.

You don’t lose skill. It’s not like Cody relied heavily on blistering speed that’s gone.

The coaching staff have fumbled, the teams gone down the toilet, he looks a shell of himself.

Fix the environment, you’ll see the best of Cody again.

Origin 3 is less than 12 months ago. You don’t go from a leading 5/8, topping try assists counts multiple years in a row, to bum with no skill.

Given the timeframe on Tatola, Munro, Graham and Ilias, the remaining top 17 kind of pick themselves.

Some combination of this:

Gray
Johnston
Wighton
Tass
Milne
Mitchell
Walker
Burgess
Mamouzelos
Moale
Arrow
Koloamatangi
Murray

Mitchell
Duncan
Host/Havili
Cook

Shuffle those 18 guys as you like, but that’s probably it.

Elite players generally perform well in good environments.

Johnson was always a top tier talent. Like all the Warriors, he’s playing to his ability now he’s in a quality environment.

People wanted John Sutton sacked during the end of the Lang years (not an embellishment). Under Madge he’s a premiership winning captain.

You don’t lose skill. It’s not like Cody relied heavily on blistering speed that’s gone.

The coaching staff have fumbled, the teams gone down the toilet, he looks a shell of himself.

Fix the environment, you’ll see the best of Cody again.

Origin 3 is less than 12 months ago. You don’t go from a leading 5/8, topping try assists counts multiple years in a row, to bum with no skill.
The coach can be blamed for many things - I don't think Cody's form is one of them. Senior players are almost as equally responsible IMO.

Perhaps with Cody the biggest concern is that he doesn’t seem to be getting Angry anymore - in your face, aggro / that could bring him undone, but also often sparked his all out attack.

Whereas we want Latrell to be calmer and more committed, we need Cody to Kranky and Creative

The coach can be blamed for many things - I don't think Cody's form is one of them. Senior players are almost as equally responsible IMO.
I somewhat disagree.

Just on historical proof.

A star player rarely lifts an environment out of the gutter. If eventually brings them down.

Whether it’s the roster, the game plan, the standards, the culture, the communication, something is very off and has been for a while now.

If 1 or 2 players weren’t performing, sure, blame the star.

When an entire roster with runs on the board plummets, blame the people who set the table.

The only positive performances currently are one out. Tom throwing himself into the line. Wighton throwing himself into the line. Hawkins kicking for himself.

Cody doesn’t have a one-out version of his game. He’s a moving pieces player.

And yeah, I’d love for Souths to be a 100% player led club, but that’s obviously not the environment that’s been fostered.

We saw the literal overnight change when Madge turned up and brought leadership to the club. We saw it to an extent when JT took over too (with some recruits and new ownership) in 2007. We’ve seen it recently at the Warriors.

Put the right head at the top of the footballing pile, and these players that are being derided at the moment will find their footy.

This isn’t a Dogs or Wests Tigers issue where the roster sucks.

Another thing that is being overlooked is how predictable our attack has become

We have been running the same shapes for four years, eventually teams are going to get used to it

We set up the same, then shift the same.

It’s why I think Gray should be half and Duncan and Murray on the edges

Play a tighter game by threatening teams on the edge of the ruck with a half with genuine speed and two edges that run great lines

Instead of playing out the back play through teams

Then as they condense their defence to adjust then throw shape with Trell out the back

Another thing that is being overlooked is how predictable our attack has become

We have been running the same shapes for four years, eventually teams are going to get used to it

We set up the same, then shift the same.

It’s why I think Gray should be half and Duncan and Murray on the edges

Play a tighter game by threatening teams on the edge of the ruck with a half with genuine speed and two edges that run great lines

Instead of playing out the back play through teams

Then as they condense their defence to adjust then throw shape with Trell out the back
I’m not even sure we’re running shapes at this point. :)

Everything feels soooo one-out. And I’m not usually one to complain about that.

I guess an over correction to try and get the completion rate back on track.

It’s all mostly garbage though at the moment.

You’d be harder pressed finding something that works well at the moment, than something that needs tweaking.

It’s why I think Gray should be half
I’m a big fan of this. I know Latrell isn’t killing it at the back right now, but I ask myself what’s more dangerous out of the following 2 options.

1. Gray
7. Hawkins

Or

1. Mitchell
7. Gray

As good as Hawkins kicking game was the other night he just seems slow in the things he does. Having Gray in the halves I think would open up so many more options and have us back to being a much bigger attacking threat.

The only thing that remains a mystery to me is his long kicking game. I haven’t seen it for myself. Someone did say to me that it’s very Soward like.

I’m a big fan of this. I know Latrell isn’t killing it at the back right now, but I ask myself what’s more dangerous out of the following 2 options.

1. Gray
7. Hawkins

Or

1. Mitchell
7. Gray

As good as Hawkins kicking game was the other night he just seems slow in the things he does. Having Gray in the halves I think would open up so many more options and have us back to being a much bigger attacking threat.

The only thing that remains a mystery to me is his long kicking game. I haven’t seen it for myself. Someone did say to me that it’s very Soward like.

Thats well and good mate but where have seen seen Gray look, remotely, like a game manager/ half.
Hes a will of the wisp, broken field runner from everything I’ve seen

A running 5/8th, I believe and the club thinks the same way …..I suspect

Yes we have.

Ill bow to your knowledge then.👐
I’ve seen the CS, cup and first grade this year. My awareness of him prior to that is lacking. I’ve not seen him play as an organising halfback.
I thought he was playing 6 when we signed him

Ill bow to your knowledge then.👐
I’ve seen the CS, cup and first grade this year. My awareness of him prior to that is lacking. I’ve not seen him play as an organising halfback.
I thought he was playing 6 when we signed him
Admittedly he hasn’t done it over the course of the game. But he has shown glimpses of it.

Latest posts

Back