• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

What are you currently reading?

Prowsey

Grand Master
Reaction score
In the theme of the excellent "what are you currently listening to" thread - and because of all the shit that has and is going down around the world - I thought I'd put a thread on what you're currently reading.

Can be fiction, non-fiction (would prefer it to be not overtly political/polarising), pot boiler, serious literature or anything in between.

I'll start:

I've just finished a book, called the "The Armour of LIght" by Ken Follett, which is the "final" book in the Kingsbridge historical fiction series (that started with the Pillars of the Earth).

Great book that interweaves actual historical events, with how they impact the ordinary people of a fictional town in the south west of England (Marlborough, Wiltshire was used as the geographical inspiration).

The series of books spans almost a thousand years, but this book focuses on the enormous upheaval facing England from a combination of the industrial revolution and the Franco-English war, that went for almost 20 years.

Great Read.

(and I'm reading his book in the century trilogy, called the Fall of Giants)

Ive only read 2 of Folletts. Never & Hornet Flight, Both were vbery enjoyable

Hmmm, interesting.

In the original Latin? 😂

I’ve been meaning to read that treatise(?) for some time actually.
Haha, no not Latin. Someone suggested it to me and I thought I'd give it a read. The way the world is going a little stoicism won't go astray, not to mention being a Souths supporter. It's actually worth a read.

Currently reading Down Under by Bill Bryson.
Would also recommend At Home, A Short History of Nearly Everything, and 1927 by him.

Also love my Sci-Fi, Peter F Hamilton is probably my favourite author.

I’m reading a fantasy series by Kevin Hearne, if you are into that @Kent Brockman - Celtic mythology based.

He also wrote the Iron Druid series, which I really enjoyed.

Day of the Triffids was one of my fav books in the late 70’s @chelseabree

Also loved Catcher in the Rye. And literally read the cover off The Lord of the Rings books.

I’m reading a fantasy series by Kevin Hearne, if you are into that @Kent Brockman - Celtic mythology based.

He also wrote the Iron Druid series, which I really enjoyed.
Thanks mate I might have a look. Absolutely loved my fantasy in my 20s but got away from it for some reason. Raymond E Fiest, David Eddings, Tad Williams. Not sure what people think of them now but I enjoyed them at the time. Plus heaps of others.
Like most people, got in to fantasy via Tolkien. I was in year 11 at school and my sister gave me an old copy of the Hobbit. Read it in two weeks. Started LOTR in the school holidays. Read the first two in two weeks, started Return of the King at about 6 o'clock on a Friday arvo, finished it Saturday morning about 7. It was amazing.
Not sure about you but I'm not very good at trying new authors. Last year I found a YouTube channel about Sci-Fi books (Media Death Cult). Really good for me cause I've read a few books I wouldn't normally try. There are fantasy channels out there too.
I might dip my toe into fantasy again, thanks for the recommendations.

Day of the Triffids was one of my fav books in the late 70’s @chelseabree

Also loved Catcher in the Rye. And literally read the cover off The Lord of the Rings books.
I can remember a set of novels I had to read for the HSC in 1976.
Even now it is a set of the most magnificent books ever written, How is this for a list?
# Day of the Triffids as mentioned
# Catch 22
# 1984
# A kind of Loving
Add to this my other favourites, Day of the Jackal, The Eagle has landed, The Hab theory, The Boat, the Forgotten Soldier ( best war novel ever written in my opinion), As far as my feet will carry me, I Am Legend ( made into THREE movies)

Thanks mate I might have a look. Absolutely loved my fantasy in my 20s but got away from it for some reason. Raymond E Fiest, David Eddings, Tad Williams. Not sure what people think of them now but I enjoyed them at the time. Plus heaps of others.
Like most people, got in to fantasy via Tolkien. I was in year 11 at school and my sister gave me an old copy of the Hobbit. Read it in two weeks. Started LOTR in the school holidays. Read the first two in two weeks, started Return of the King at about 6 o'clock on a Friday arvo, finished it Saturday morning about 7. It was amazing.
Not sure about you but I'm not very good at trying new authors. Last year I found a YouTube channel about Sci-Fi books (Media Death Cult). Really good for me cause I've read a few books I wouldn't normally try. There are fantasy channels out there too.
I might dip my toe into fantasy again, thanks for the recommendations.
If you’re going to do that, start with his Iron Druid series.

Good read, rooted in Celtic mythology - which I happen to enjoy.

I used to read almost exclusively fantasy, and have read all of those authors and a lot more.

But I read across a few genres now.

If I can recommend a hybrid book too.

John Connolly has written the Charlie Parker series, which mixes European (particularly brothers Grimm) /Irish/Celtic/Native American mythology (all the dark aspects) with crime mystery.

Love ‘em! Make sure you start at the beginning though. It’s not a series that you can dip into at any book.

Latest posts

Back