• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

The AUKUS Submarine Deal

bigbopper

Immortal Member
Reaction score
What do people think? Australia is now on the way to becoming a middle ranking naval power but at an eye-watering cost. We are also buying smart mines, drones, missiles, etc., which will add billions the estimate $368 billion for the subs. Will we become a target for a nuclear attack? Where will we dump the waste? Since we've taken this step should we now look at nuclear power for our grid?

The timetable as set out is reasonable - we will build up our capacity (training nuclear technicians/engineers, building the facility to manufacture the subs, recruiting sailors and giving them experience on US subs, etc.) in time for the boats to be delivered. But will all go smoothly? What happens if there are cost blowouts? Anyway a lot to dissect and discuss.

Cheers

What do people think? Australia is now on the way to becoming a middle ranking naval power but at an eye-watering cost. We are also buying smart mines, drones, missiles, etc., which will add billions the estimate $368 billion for the subs. Will we become a target for a nuclear attack? Where will we dump the waste? Since we've taken this step should we now look at nuclear power for our grid?

The timetable as set out is reasonable - we will build up our capacity (training nuclear technicians/engineers, building the facility to manufacture the subs, recruiting sailors and giving them experience on US subs, etc.) in time for the boats to be delivered. But will all go smoothly? What happens if there are cost blowouts? Anyway a lot to dissect and discuss.

Cheers
It's a lotta money Bops but if we are going to get subs they have to be nuclear powered and if war breaks out between China and Taiwan we will be dragged into it so we will be a nuclear target anyway I think.

China's crying fowl of nuclear proliferation is laughable.

There has been no indication from the government that Australia is considering arming itself with nuclear weapons. Let's put that point to bed.

In terms of what these submarines do for Australia's defence, I think it can't be understated. Australia is a nation bordered by water at every edge. It makes total sense that Australia protects its waters. Not only this, but the deterrence these submarines provide will also be significant.

As for your comment related to nuclear power, the short answer is yes. The whole world should consider nuclear as an energy source. Since Chernobyl, there have been incredible advancements to nuclear power technology.

There has been no indication from the government that Australia is considering arming itself with nuclear weapons. Let's put that point to bed.

In terms of what these submarines do for Australia's defence, I think it can't be understated. Australia is a nation bordered by water at every edge. It makes total sense that Australia protects its waters. Not only this, but the deterrence these submarines provide will also be significant.

As for your comment related to nuclear power, the short answer is yes. The whole world should consider nuclear as an energy source. Since Chernobyl, there have been incredible advancements to nuclear power technology.
The Australian govt has previously told the Chinese that in the event of us purchasing nuclear submarines that they will not be armed with nuclear missiles.

bloody fantastic news. over the moon with this desision. we are and have been for some time very vulnerable. im liking albo so far. his decision to boost defence and not change the libs border policy will win him a second term.

correct©

Reactions: VIP
reading the papers this morning in my local cafe I found this letter interesting. No idea if it’s factually correct but it makes sense🤔

reading the papers this morning in my local cafe I found this letter interesting. No idea if it’s factually correct but it makes sense🤔

I don't have a clue if this nuclear subs deal is a good idea or good value, I only think that if we get new subs then they have to be nuclear powered, diesel/electric subs would be a death sentence for the crew in the event of war.

What I find intriguing is that is a reversal of many Labor policies. Suddenly we like nuclear energy, we aren't concerned about having nuclear powered vessels in our ports (in due course permanently when we have bases on the East and West coast), a nuclear waste dump is not a problem (except that states are lining to say they have one), we are sending tens of billions to the US arms industry and most of all this is the most strategic anti-China move in Australia's history.

The Greens are upset, Keating has gone bananas, some unions are now opposing it, one of the ALP branches in Albanese electorate based a motion calling on the Government to withdraw from AUKUS.

I think getting five (or maybe eight) Virginia class submarines from the US would have been enough. The so-called AUKUS sub might well be fraught with delays and cost overruns. At least by buying an existing design and paying for a new dry dock to speed up manufacture we could reduce the chance of delays and cost overruns.

Anyway we are headed towards being a middle sized naval power which is a good thing.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back