• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Dead last

Worst thing was signing bennett and only giving him 3 seasons when he wanted to keep coaching, he should have be re-signed.

Then handing JD the coaching role.

Then getting rid of Reynolds which meant we were no longer a top 4 team, no longer had the best kicking game and changed to the worst kicking game in the league

Barely making a mark in recruitment for several seasons but rewarding the current squad and under achievhers new contracts, Cooks being the worst re-signing.

JD not improving any player that he has coached, allowing players like Trell, Cody and Cook to run the show, go unpunished for poor performances sets a bad look and favoritism. If things are being said behind closed doors than obviously the players aren't listening.

Trells short comings at fullback are now exposed by every team in the NRL, before it was only a handful of good teams that knew but now they all know how to exploit it and he can no longer play in that position, he isn't a fullbacks asshole because he refuses to put the hard work in to be one.
You defend the guy and then he does shit like he does today and makes you look like a fool.

Wrong people got sacked last year and who knows what they did the off-season because it wasn't about getting fit or being in shape, it wasn't improving our defence or footy in general? Training reports each week you hear the following, lots of dropped ball. Why?

I could cop us being shit when i was a kid growing up, we were broke, poorly run club with park football team sides but to be this shit now is probably the lowest I've been supporting the club, it's embarrassing, you don't even want to watch them play it is that bad.

Trying to be mr nice guys of the league when we are probs top 4 in the most hated clubs these days does **** all for us on the field
Spot on SS

Can someone enlighten me…who are the players or staff that Souths have recruited from the Cutters, or Northern Pride?

McCarthy, O’Callaghan, Schaefer from Northern Pride.

I’m pretty sure he coached Taane there as well. As I remember Bennett saying he was recommended by JD

In the playing group I don’t have too much of a problem with it.

100% there is bias in the NRL around coaches recruiting guys they have a relationship with. Sele was good. Milne and Thompson should be 3rd-4th on the outside back depth chart, which isn’t that much of a problem in isolation.

Host is probably the biggest problem despite being perhaps the most solid performer. He should be a 3rd or 4th string depth forwards piece. JD has had him a starter for a large part of his time here, certainly when healthy.

We’ve not recruited well in that position based on that assessment.

The footballing staff stuff I do dislike. I’d rather they target the best guy from 3 environments, as opposed to the top 3 from 1.

It all starts with where we're spending our cap.

Clearly we're out of balance.

The guys on big dollars are under performing, then leaving too little for depth building.

Or for quality recruitment.

It's the root cause of plodder-fest.

Dead last indeed....and we all feel justifiably shattered and let down.
But how bad must Tom Burgess be feeling?....leaving ( well, eventually) under these depressing circumstances. A real gentleman and clubman, record capped player, last of a famous family era, gives his all every week, humble and committed, yet ruthless when required....what a way to see out his career in the cardinal and myrtle. I suppose the one consolation in such a diabolical 2024 is that professionally he won't be regretting his decision to return to the UK.
Even as an old fella, I have my heroes and favourites...and Tom is high up on my list. While a turn around in 2024 will please us all.... i also want to see it occur particularly for our Thomas

Back