• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Solly confirms Souths interest in Bennett

I just hope if we do sign Wayne. That we are not left in the same predicament after he leaves. We need our own plan, not his.

I don’t know if Dean Pay can coach, but I hope Wayne adds an assistant or S&C guy with the vibe Dean Pay gives off.

And the most important thing you need to do post Bennett is improve your squad.

You don’t subtract Gagai, Sua and Reynolds the year Bennett leaves, you add them.

That’s what the club need to prep for post Bennett.

Not a coaching succession plan, a plan to counter the inflated performance Wayne provides.

If he signs till end 2027, in 2028 you want to add a gun prop (‘cause your existing guys will take a step back to reality), and a couple of other difference makers in the side.

You certainly don’t keep the same (or a worse) squad and expect things to go as they did under Bennett.

Honestly… I don’t care what happens in 2028. I’ll worry about that in 2027.
We need to finish this year well and be back in the mix for a premiership next year. That’s the concern.
Signing Wayne gives us the best chance.
Gives you three years of being back up the pointy end and you can plan the rest from there

As Callmack has posted above, Hooper is reporting that we are considering offering Bennett a 5 year deal.

Would that change how we feel about the deal?

If I was Solly, I would tap Cook on the shoulder and ask if he is interested in playing in England for the rest of the year.

Then ask for a player swap with St Helens, we give them Cook on loan and they give us Dodd for the remainder of the season.

It would work for both clubs benefit and if Cook says no, then he says no but it might annoy him enough to want out and once we get a player or 2 back play him in reserve grade, another way to try and get him to leave early.

I think Cook sees out his contract.

I also think he should consider the fact he’s a veteran and that maybe he needs to simplify his game. He’s got a motor. Tackle and lead the line speed. That’s it. Do that for 45 or so and let Pete get 35 mins each week.

Just concentrate on being a worker.

I also think he should consider the fact he’s a veteran and that maybe he needs to simplify his game. He’s got a motor. Tackle and lead the line speed. That’s it. Do that for 45 or so and let Pete get 35 mins each week.

Under my plan he is still contracted to us. It's just player swap for the rest of the year, he comes back next season.

Gives mamo a chance to develop in first grade, gives our new half back half a season to find his feet in the nrl.

Cook could win a comp with st helens, go on holiday's for a few months.

Of course none of this would happen and management wouldn't even think it.

But if it did then it's a win for everyone 😎😝

Thats a lot of money to spend on a worker though.

I have heard we have to tried to offload Cook in the off season but no one would take him.

It shows that we have overspent for what we get.

Thats a lot of money to spend on a worker though.

I have heard we have to tried to offload Cook in the off season but no one would take him.

It shows that we have overspent for what we get.
We need workers.

Not with one of your spine players.
It’s only a year, he’s already on the books, and I’m starting to think we have too many cooks already (no pun intended).

Across the game the hooker has become a blue collar position in the spine. I’d suggest our next one after Cook falls more in line with that.

Keep the middle tight, drive line speed, take defensive pressure off the bigger bodies. That’s good value and something Cook can accomplish even if he is a little older.

Back