• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Solly confirms Souths interest in Bennett

Maaate, don’t you know that the higher your post count, the higher and more valid your rugby league IQ is?! And seemingly, the lower your actual IQ is! Also, The Pride only started in 2012, it never existed before then?! 😂😂

Yet you keep boasting about you length of time here🫣

Stick to those childish cries you do.. what is it? WAHHHHHHH WWAAAAH

Easy isn’t it, just rant, rave and kick arse and suddenly the likes of MCK, Host, Tatola, Moale, Havili, Milne, Kennar, Thompson & Hawkins will suddenly be NRL starting quality
You mean minus Hawkins, Tats and Moale the players JD recruited as he thought they were solid first graders/depth
Sadly those “back ups“, for reasons well documented, formed the core of our team and we’re the reasons for our poor, rocks/diamonds start

A ranting, spittle spraying rave from a coach would not have changed anything,…..in my mind.
Like Goodwin, Auv’ua, Johnson, Tyrell, Clarke, Walker and Keary

Maybe getting a team rock hard fit, having discipline, structures and knowing your place in those structures goes a long way to winning ( Just ask Penrith )

But the only thing JD had more of than cliches was excuses, bit like yourself. Which might explain why you like losing so much

You mean minus Hawkins, Tats and Moale the players JD recruited as he thought they were solid first graders/depth

Like Goodwin, Auv’ua, Johnson, Tyrell, Clarke, Walker and Keary

Maybe getting a team rock hard fit, having discipline, structures and knowing your place in those structures goes a long way to winning ( Just ask Penrith )

But the only thing JD had more of than cliches was excuses, bit like yourself. Which might explain why you like losing so much

you really have taken to puffing out your chest, here and Heffron😆😆
you’ve done nothing but spew cliches the past year or 2.

The difference between you and me is what I believe & write isn’t about my own sense of self worth and narcissistic validation 👐

I’m as pleased as anyone on here that the feelers have gone out to WB and it’s encouraging that he’s indicated his interest, At the same time I hope that we intend to explore the possibility that Craig Bellamy could also be interested in our vacancy. His ‘never say never’ response to a journos query re the possibility at Souths sounded like that door should be considered open. Right at this moment we haven’t heard that he’d decided to accept another term with Melbourne and in fact retirement was also an option.
Until he declares otherwise I think the club should fully explore that possibility. It’s not often that arguably the 2 best coaches in the NRL aren’t committed beyond the current season.

As I mentioned the other day I was very confident we would have Wayne. Dolphins were throwing big cash to keep him on as like a Gus type role, but he still wants to coach
Plus the fun part of the Dolphins project is done - setting up a team and everyone singing their praises for “being competitive. Now the next and bigger (5yr + challenge) is becoming a serious contender.
Wayne know he doesn’t have that long and he loves the cut and thrust of finals footy

I reckon Wayne's playing us to get an extension as head coach at the Dolphins
Then they’d be at risk of losing Wolfe and possible compensation

That’s the problem with Wayne until he signs he’s doing what is best for Wayne and doesn’t care who he burns in the process

I know the club are confident in getting Wayne done. He’s definitely spoken to representatives of the club, it just comes down to whether what he’s stated is genuine or his angling for either what you suggested of for Parra to push Arthurs opening the door for him

We will all know soon enough

Chammas reporting a third party has lodged interest on behalf of Cheika (any chance its the art dealer?? 🤪)

What do we know of Cheika? I don’t follow RU at all so havent a clue about him in that sense. If it wasnt for him being a Souths fan and Lebanese I’d know even less!

Exactly

1. The Dolphins won't want to be us in 2 years time
2. Wayne knows this
Every club (including us) is arrogant enough to think you dont need to panic and sign Bennett on for longer than necessary.

The Dolphins will do the same as us and Wolf may or may not be a success.

But i am confident we will get Wayne.

NRL 2024: Wayne Bennett reveals approach from South Sydney CEO Blake Solly about head coaching role​

Peter Badel, Brent Read and Travis Meyn
18b5fb015fd68ee801262cf07157db7f

Wayne Bennett is ready to save South Sydney.
The Dolphins super coach has broken his silence to confirm his interest in returning to Redfern to rebuild strife-torn Souths in the wake of Jason Demetriou’s sacking.

As Demetriou was spotted for the first time since his sacking, photographed walking his dog in the Sydney rain on Wednesday, Bennett spoke for the first time about his potential Redfern resurrection.

Bennett confirmed he had fielded a phone call from Rabbitohs boss Blake Solly and the parties will now ramp-up formal negotiations for the 74-year-old’s second coming at South Sydney in 2025.

“Yes, I’m interested,” he said.

“They are keen to talk to me and I’m keen to talk to them.

“Blake has since contacted me and told me he wants to talk to me at some stage.

“He mentioned they had some other coaches they have in mind.

“The Rabbitohs know how I feel.

Wayne Bennett confirms interest in exploring a return to South Sydney. Picture: NRL Photos

Wayne Bennett confirms interest in exploring a return to South Sydney. Picture: NRL Photos
“They have intimated they want to talk to me so that’s the next step now, we will have a conversation somewhere down the track.”

Bennett is off-contract at season’s end at the Dolphins and while Redcliffe chiefs are keen for him to stay on in another role, the seven-time premiership winner made it clear he is not finished as an NRL coach.

The task of reuniting with Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker – and delivering Souths to the holy grail after going so close in the 2021 NRL grand final – has major appeal for Bennett.

“I want to coach on,” he said.

“I feel I have more to offer, so I’m ready to see what’s out there.

“Of course I’ll consider other options.”

c109677705a65ace04a3099568c4f038

Asked if Mitchell and Walker are difficult to coach, as has been suggested during Demetriou’s tenure, Bennett said: “I have nothing to say on that.

“The only thing I want to say right now about South Sydney is that I’m interested.

“I don’t know what else is going on there, but I’ll talk to them before any decision is made.

“Whether we can make it work or we can’t, I don’t know.

“I’m unemployed at the end of the footy season. I’m a free agent and Souths are now looking for a coach, so I’m keen to have a conversation and we’ll go from there.”

Bennett played a key role in the rise of Demetriou. He first hired the 48-year-old to the Broncos and the pair worked closely for five years, with Bennett handing the coaching baton to Demetriou at Souths in 2022 when he took charge of the Dolphins.

timeline0_yjYw-9uMCo.jpg

Feb, 2020
Rabbitohs announce Jason Demetriou, then assistant coach, as Wayne Bennett's successor from end of 2021
There were suggestions Bennett would baulk at a Souths return given some gaps in the club’s roster – they have a weak front-row – but the NRL’s greatest coach is up for the challenge.

“I took the job at the Dolphins and we had no roster, so that wouldn’t be a problem,” he said.

Bennett was reluctant to entertain any dialogue with the Rabbitohs until a definitive call had been made on Demetriou.

Now that South Sydney’s board has pulled the trigger on their head coach, Bennett will begin formal talks, but admits he is bitterly disappointed at the demise of a man he helped groom for success in the NRL.

“I do feel for JD,” he said.

“I haven’t spoken to Jason yet, but I will.

“It’s tough on him.

“I don’t like to see any coach getting the sack. It’s a tough job and I have a lot of time for JD.”

Bennett is adamant Demetriou is not finished as an NRL head coach and hopes he gets another chance.

“This is not the end for Jason,” he said.

“I know he can coach, I have worked with him and I know what he brings.

Former South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou (L) and CEO Blake Solly. Picture: Julian Andrews

Former South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou (L) and CEO Blake Solly. Picture: Julian Andrews
“I’m not sure what happened there and why it happened, but they have made the call.

“I know Jason knows his football. I worked with him for four or five years, so I know what he is made of, but coaching can be complex and challenging.

“There’s so many parts to coaching. It’s not just about the Xs and Os. That’s not the only part of coaching.

“I haven’t been at Souths for three years, so I don’t know what’s happened, but I don’t think Jason will be lost to coaching.”

Solly confirmed Bennett is on South Sydney’s hit list. The master mentor has also been linked with a move to Parramatta amid speculation over the future of long-serving head coach Brad Arthur.

“Wayne is one of the coaches we will talk to,” Solly said.

“Wayne had great success here, he left the club on very good terms. We’ll speak to Wayne and if he’s available and he’s interested certainly we’ll progress that.

Pushed on whether Bennett’s prior success in bringing out the best in the Iikes of Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell would count in his favour, Solly said: “It’s a strong consideration. I do know Wayne likes success.

“I know he wants to win premierships, and I know he loves the values of the club and what we stand for.

Jason Demetriou after he was sacked by Souths. Picture: Jonathan Ng

Jason Demetriou after he was sacked by Souths. Picture: Jonathan Ng
“I think he’s made that pretty clear during his time here; his affection for the club, the ownership, the board and the management.”

“We will certainly be speaking to Wayne because he left the place in very good shape when he left and he was very good when he was here.

“He was a pleasure to deal with.”

Bennett spent three seasons at the Rabbitohs, leading the club to two preliminary finals and a grand final. Crucially, he was able to get the best out of a playing squad, the bulk of which remain at the club but have laboured in recent times.

Demetriou was axed on Monday night after a day of deliberation at Souths, the club’s high-powered board making the call after taking into consideration the club’s woeful end to last season and awful start to this one.

Demetriou had prepared a presentation of his own to push his cause, but it eventually fell on deaf ears as the board unanimously opted to head in a different direction after convening two meetings at either end of an emotional day for the club.

Assistant coach Ben Hornby, who has been appointed as an interim for the remainder of the season, took his first training session on Tuesday morning.

Back