• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

soccer new low.

I was surprised to see flares lit at the recent exhibition game Sydney FC vs Celtic United at Allianz. It defies belief that Security allowed flares into the ground in the first place and then didn’t kick anyone out when they lit them.

I think Soccer has a far greater tribalism aspect than we see in other football codes, particularly in England where it’s literally entrenched in so called class struggles. My tribe vs any other tribe.
To put it into context it’s Souths vs Easts X 100.

I think Soccer has a far greater tribalism aspect than we see in other football codes, particularly in England where it’s literally entrenched in so called class struggles. My tribe vs any other tribe.
To put it into context it’s Souths vs Easts X 100.
Maybe 30 years ago…or maybe from the Championship down…. nowadays Chelsea, Man C, Man U, LFC are $5 Billion + global corporations which are the playthings of businessmen and royal families to do a bit of sports washing……

Trouble with the 4 big teams in Sydney and Melbourne is the so called fans of the clubs go for the game day experience, which ultimately means they want to ape the seige mentality and warfare they have in Europe and elsewhere.

Trouble with the 4 big teams in Sydney and Melbourne is the so called fans of the clubs go for the game day experience, which ultimately means they want to ape the seige mentality and warfare they have in Europe and elsewhere.
I haven’t been to an A League game dont think I will anytime soon either. Much more aggressive fans at these games now and the silly flares! I do support Sydney FC but not that big of a fan. I much rather the international games

I much rather spend my time attending a big bash game I think!

My kids play in St George area soccer. Some of the actions from parents at certain clubs (it’s always the same ones) are absolutely disgraceful. Parents happily abuse opposition players (9’s girls??) and threaten to belt up our coach (always as a gang). This all gets reported but nothing ever really happens to the parents/clubs responsible.

I guess the A-League is seeing the product of Football Australia’s ‘grassroots development’.

This used to happen all the time in the 70s . I have a newspaper article- about 1971 I think, and it had South Sydney Croatia. Now the fans of South Sydney Croatia were so bad that they had to ban the Croatia part of their name. The club was told to get their fans into order or the club would cease to exist.
Mind you rugby league fans in the 60s were terrible. I have a report from 1968. Souths played Balmain. Fans rushed on the ground at the end of the game to attack the ref. Jack Rayner grabbed hold of some young toerag and gave him what for.

Harry, I think because it’s such a low scoring game, frustration sets in!
I do subscribe to that theory to some degree but for the example I gave in the kids’ game it doesn’t apply. The worst clubs usually have the best teams. My daughter’s team was being abused by the opposition parents and they were 0-10 behind. It got really bad when it went to 1-10.

Tribalism is a great thing Gazman. We all love our rivalries. Beating the Roosters is one of the highlights of every year.

Using tribalism as an excuse to attack people is just thuggery.
Yep, no argument here.

This used to happen all the time in the 70s . I have a newspaper article- about 1971 I think, and it had South Sydney Croatia. Now the fans of South Sydney Croatia were so bad that they had to ban the Croatia part of their name. The club was told to get their fans into order or the club would cease to exist.
Mind you rugby league fans in the 60s were terrible. I have a report from 1968. Souths played Balmain. Fans rushed on the ground at the end of the game to attack the ref. Jack Rayner grabbed hold of some young toerag and gave him what for.
Yes, I recall that time. In fact every club had to remove their ethnic names and they all became geographic only names.

Anyone remember the Pratten Park Riot? What a load of directionless anger.

Latest posts

Back