• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

soccer new low.

I've been going to the sydney kings games. You can't even get into the area until you go through metal detectors and a bag search.

What I like about the Souths - Easts rivalry is that in over a hundred years we've never had anything like that. I'm sure there has been the occasional scuffle but considering the depth of feeling (it's the longest standing and most intense sporting rivalry in Australia), fans still avoid scenes like that.

Cheers

I actually feel bad for the 1000s of well behaved fans.

They idiots who raided the field were after a fight. The player also needs to be cautioned. He didn't need to throw the flare back into the crowd.

I actually feel bad for the 1000s of well behaved fans.

They idiots who raided the field were after a fight. The player also needs to be cautioned. He didn't need to throw the flare back into the crowd.
Agreed. It doesn't take a lot of idiots to ruin the game. I really hate that some fans bring flares - that's not the only problem but I'm sure it contributes.

The worst I ever saw at a Souths game wasn't a fight or pitch invasion, it involved Keith Page. We hated him with good reason after the1969 grand final but he had a heart attack and was recovering - unfortunately one of his early games back was a reserve grade game at Redfern - a good number of fans started chanting "heart attack, heart attack". That's a lot better than rushing onto the ground and trying to flatten someone but was still a low blow.

Cheers

After all the success from the World Cup this was the last thing the A League needed. This doesn’t shock me that it came from the Victory active support group.

Can someone explain to me what the point of letting off flares is?

I honestly don't understand the point of why they do it.
I made this point to a Football tragic last night.

In a sad irony we were debating what Football in Australia needed to do to get the right level of corporate support and build grassroots development.

I said last night that letting flares off at games was a really bad look for the game, because it provided ready made pictures for the media to use, in a negative context.

And asked him if he was the CEO of the NAB and had $5m to spend on sports sponsorship, with the choice on offer in Australian sport - what was the business case for soccer.

He texted me this morning, distraught at the scenes last night.

You gotta say that Soccer in this country has a spectacular talent for self inflicted injuries.

I was watching a bit of the NFL - the crowd was throwing snowballs at the players in the end zone. Nothing too serious because the snow was very light and I suspect they were just very fluffy harmless bits of snow but they were throwing them.

Cheers

I watched that too, Bigbopper. They actually made an announcement that if the crowd continued to throw snowballs, Buffalo (home team) would be penalised. Stopped it pretty quickly.

Man I thought the NRL were the kings of shooting themselves in the foot.

Unfortunately the one thing we’ve taken from European football is the hooliganism instead of the professionalism.

From the days of Alessandro Del Piero and Shinji Ono to this…football Australia really needs to have a rethink about what they’re looking to do in the next decade both at a grassroots and gameday experience level.

I've never understood why soccer attracts so many hooligans all around the world.

There are issues in other sports now and again but not to the same extent.

Such a shame after excellent effort during the world cup for soccer to drag itself back to the bottom of the heap.

Latest posts

Back