• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

soccer new low.

This used to happen all the time in the 70s . I have a newspaper article- about 1971 I think, and it had South Sydney Croatia. Now the fans of South Sydney Croatia were so bad that they had to ban the Croatia part of their name. The club was told to get their fans into order or the club would cease to exist.
Mind you rugby league fans in the 60s were terrible. I have a report from 1968. Souths played Balmain. Fans rushed on the ground at the end of the game to attack the ref. Jack Rayner grabbed hold of some young toerag and gave him what for.
To be fair Chelseabree in the 60’s and 70’s the broader social and political conflict between Croatian and Serb and Hungarian and Macedonian and Greek were bubbling with the recent history of WWII, Tito’s Yugoslavia, the occupation of Hungary and Chechzlovakia and Australia paranoia about Vietnam - lots of violence here and overseas not just at the soccer. I seem to recall in the early days of the Pride there was some argy bargy between those South Sydney Rabbitohs fans from the different communities.

Latest posts

Back