• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Should Latrell maintain his position at fullback?

Should Latrell maintain his position at fullback?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
But we still need to have meters out of our own redzone, that doesn't go away. If Trell and our Island of Misfit toys wingers can't get what's expected from the position, then you at least need speed to ice those chances he creates and we don't have that either. Plus we don't have Reyno's kicking game from 2021.
Right now tell me who is better than Latrell for that position? It wasn’t an issue at all when he came back in 2022.

I have a feeling that Jye will get a chance soon coming from the bench and moving to fullback in the second half and moving Trell to the centres.

When things are going well our forwards would get a good roll on as well.

I read someone post (can't remember who or where) but they said it's like we need two fullbacks.

Latrells up side is in the attacking zone.his downside is his defensive attitude. One on one he is brilliant but his positional play can be lacking.

Seeing we seem to lose the middle grand battle quite often we may need a fullback who will be in position to defend a kick. Playing him in the kine does not help him either.

He had one particularly poor defensive game. Don’t get too carried away with that.

At some point Gray will demand selection back there.

Mitchell won’t move to centre IMO. Firstly because he shouldn’t be demoted out of the spine, he’s still one of our best 3 players. Also because he’s signed till 2027 and he’s too good a player to leave sitting out on the flanks at NRL level for 4 seasons during the prime of his career.

I tip he goes to 6 with Cody going to 7. Wighton to stay at centre.

Then if that doesn’t work out, perhaps you see some further tweaking. But that’s where I’d start.

And I don’t imagine the move is made until Jye is signed up. Just as you likely don’t want to shift a star to accommodate a rookie that hasn’t committed to being here past year’s end (which is hopefully a formality).

Personally I'd prefer Latrell in the centres until Stretch returns and then revisit what the best make-up of the team would be.

He had one particularly poor defensive game. Don’t get too carried away with that.

At some point Gray will demand selection back there.

Mitchell won’t move to centre IMO. Firstly because he shouldn’t be demoted out of the spine, he’s still one of our best 3 players. Also because he’s signed till 2027 and he’s too good a player to leave sitting out on the flanks at NRL level for 4 seasons during the prime of his career.

I tip he goes to 6 with Cody going to 7. Wighton to stay at centre.

Then if that doesn’t work out, perhaps you see some further tweaking. But that’s where I’d start.

And I don’t imagine the move is made until Jye is signed up. Just as you likely don’t want to shift a star to accommodate a rookie that hasn’t committed to being here past year’s end (which is hopefully a formality).
Agree except for the one poor defensive game. He has had many over his stint at fullback however he is the fittest he has been in a while so I guess we will get to see if it's a fitness thing or an attitude thing at fullback.

Are Wighton and Latrell both left side dominant though?
Yes I think they are so that would have to be looked at and considered.

If all our outside backs are fit and on deck later in the season we will have a problem fitting them into the team and I am expecting Caleb Clarke to be joining the squad.

Yes I think they are so that would have to be looked at and considered.

If all our outside backs are fit and on deck later in the season we will have a problem fitting them into the team and I am expecting Caleb Clarke to be joining the squad.
1. Jye Gray
2. Alex Johnston
3. Jack Wighton
4. Campbell Graham
5. Caleb Clarke
6. Latrell Mitchell
7. Cody Walker

That’d do me.

Right now tell me who is better than Latrell for that position? It wasn’t an issue at all when he came back in 2022.

I have a feeling that Jye will get a chance soon coming from the bench and moving to fullback in the second half and moving Trell to the centres.

When things are going well our forwards would get a good roll on as well.
I always thought it was an issue, the number of times seeing Cam Murray coming off looking completely spent, whilst watching other teams locks in similarly strong teams (Yeo, Radley etc) all looking comparatively as fresh as daisies at the end of games.

It was a credit to the grit and toughness of a lot of the boys on how good we went.

But I agree, it was more just a riff on Munro not going to be a magic solution to a fundamental flaw with how our team is constructed and how Trell wants to play. Plus you have to think that opposition have worked out those flaws and even the same team from 2022 wouldn't do as well.

Latest posts

Back