• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Round 20: Other Matches

I’m not commenting on Manly’s internal process here. That’s a sideshow to the point at hand.

They made a decision that was honest in intention.

There’s been a fall out.

They’re sticking with principle, and that principle is just.

Good on them.

And let’s consider how hard it is for a Souths fan to acknowledge Manly doing something admirable.

Gay pride/rights/inclusion isn’t a ‘political topic’. It’s no different to supporting women, Indigenous communities, or any other minority the game feels needs recognition and assistance in profile.

Again, if the players have thoughts that differ from society at large on this issue based on their fundamentalist religious dogma, then they have every right to abstain from playing.

The fact the club is willing to let them stand down answers your question as to whether this was a marketing ploy or a true brand alliance.

I hope they hold to it and beat the Roosters regardless.

Last edited:
Well played Manly. Look at all this publicity they’ve generated for themselves. 👏

The decision to let the players sit out the game will reveal their identity leaving them open to repercussions and persecution, the club should have scrapped the rainbow jersey, its the womens round and its now been turned into a circus, its wrong to impose a political narrative on players who may not support the issue, just play football and leave the virtue signalling to others..

The fact the club is willing to let them stand down answers your question as to whether this was a marketing ploy or a true brand alliance.
If they are selected the following week, I'd disagree with this statement.

I also agree largely with the balance of your post.

But anywho, let's not get bogged down in this. Hopefully, it remains a good game and the Roosters don't trample them.

The older I get, the less tolerant I am of this religious crap, but I also wouldn't want to wear something that went against my beliefs. I would not wear a jersey with religious meaning, or promoting gambling, for example. So I can kind of see both sides.

Manly surely must have seen this coming? Multiple people at the club must have discussed this and thought it a good idea.

Didn't PHAC try and engage the gay community at some point? Somewhere around the time when we replaced cheerleaders with drummers?

Anyway, this should be a stand alone thread. Hardly a discussion of other games.

That’s fine and well Poet but it is not gay pride round. It is women in league round. A chance to celebrate women.

Fantastic if Manly want to take that approach and have a special round and a special jersey supporting gay pride. I mean Souths did something special for Tonga to help support the tsunami/flood victims over there. I am all for it personally.

Very stupid from Manly not to ask their players first.

I will say though, that everyone claims stands like this are inclusive. They are not. They are divisive.

If you want true equality, treat everybody the same. No special rounds for any group.

I fail to see why there needs to be a cause around “gays”
I get the women and I get the indigenous rounds but why gays?

Manly should stand their ground and tell the players not to bother coming back at all.

If the players dont like it, they can always go work on a building site and not have a public profile or the paycheck to go with it.

This will likely kill Manly off for the year. It has to cause a split in the team. ‘Letting down your mates’ on the field never ends well.

This will likely kill Manly off for the year. It has to cause a split in the team. ‘Letting down your mates’ on the field never ends well.

I agree but it’s a different generation we’re talking about
Maybe they handle it differently

It just shows that it’s a massive communication breakdown to not even be aware of the cultural background of half of the roster, and then push ahead without any consultation with the players.

Manly should stand their ground and tell the players not to bother coming back at all.

If the players dont like it, they can always go work on a building site and not have a public profile or the paycheck to go with it.
Really? Wow. Conform or be sacked is your view?

There is no need for discrimination.

Try and tell gay people not to be gay. Be straight or be sacked. Tell black people to be white. Be white or be sacked. Tell Islam people to go to Catholic Churches and ban Mosqs or be sacked.

Wake up to yourself.

Back