• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Penrith's successes = our shortcomings?

I would argue that our 2014 Premiership shows that you don’t need to focus on development to win a premiership.
We won on the back of some astute recruitment
Burgess brothers
GI
Luke
Teo
Keary
Except Keary Tom and George all came through 20’s first which at the time was considered a development pathway

Luke didn’t play in the GF and Api again came through pathways as did Turner and Tyrell

Yes there definitely was astute recruitment in Sam, GI, Teo and Lote. But this complimented the development players who largely filled that squad

And this is exactly what The Storm, Penrith and Roosters do. If you have gaps in pathways you fill them with astute acquisitions.
Granted Clarke, Reynolds, Walker and AJ played their part but they were supporting players not the reason we won.
Opinion based and disrespectful to each of their contributions that year and at the big dance. One thing is certain is that we also didn’t win a premiership without them

Particularly Reynolds who was integral to our winning percentages during the Maguire era. He was more effectual on results than either Sam or GI. The Dogs prelim was testament to that
I left Sutton out because he was already an NRL player before privatisation and can’t be claimed as a product of well oiled talent development machine.
Of course you did. Yeah he wasn’t developed by Souths. WTF
(PS Richo would tell you the sky was pink if it made him look good….)
Don’t disagree. But his point we were a development club was well supported by the 2014 premiership winning team.

13 of the 17 debuted at South Sydney

11 of the 17 came either through as juniors or via our 20s team

So once again your argument is flawed, baseless and devoid of reality

I think a local junior, a junior reps aged recruit, a 20+ year old reserve grader looking for their NRL debut or an out of favour star, all offer roughly the same thing. Value. And the more of those players, the better for your cap.

The only caveat there is that elite junior development players aren’t ALWAYS good value.

Sualii at $700k for his first contract stops being a value contract. At that point, just pay an established known quantity that cash. It’s the safer call.

I think a local junior, a junior reps aged recruit, a 20+ year old reserve grader looking for their NRL debut or an out of favour star, all offer roughly the same thing. Value. And the more of those players, the better for your cap.

The only caveat there is that elite junior development players aren’t ALWAYS good value.

Sualii at $700k for his first contract stops being a value contract. At that point, just pay an established known quantity that cash. It’s the safer call.
Agreed

But was Sualii’s value inflated because Richo kept telling anyone who would listen we had the best junior in the country?

We all know Uncle Nick can’t resist anything that’s shiny and new

I honestly think if Richo didn’t parade him around we would of got two to three years out of him at good value until he chased Rugby dollars

Agreed

But was Sualii’s value inflated because Richo kept telling anyone who would listen we had the best junior in the country?

We all know Uncle Nick can’t resist anything that’s shiny and new

I honestly think if Richo didn’t parade him around we would of got two to three years out of him at good value until he chased Rugby dollars
Yeah, I don’t know if it’s that simple, but I agree, I don’t think it’s in the clubs best interest to telegraph quality.

Whether it’s because you don’t want to shine a light on what you have, or you don’t want to be made to look stupid if it doesn’t pan out.

I notice the club doesn’t have a listing of its Black Rabbit dev players on the site. They generally only get a shout if they sign a multi year deal. I thought that may be about sheltering young players, but then they do announce the occasional teen, so who knows?

I get Richo fighting the PR war with young talent. That time he said we had the best 2 junior centres in rugby league in Olive and Talakai. From memory that was a point in time whether someone had left or we weren’t doing well. Pull any lever you’ve got to keep the fans happy I guess.

Except Keary Tom and George all came through 20’s first which at the time was considered a development pathway

Luke didn’t play in the GF and Api again came through pathways as did Turner and Tyrell

Yes there definitely was astute recruitment in Sam, GI, Teo and Lote. But this complimented the development players who largely filled that squad

And this is exactly what The Storm, Penrith and Roosters do. If you have gaps in pathways you fill them with astute acquisitions.

Opinion based and disrespectful to each of their contributions that year and at the big dance. One thing is certain is that we also didn’t win a premiership without them

Particularly Reynolds who was integral to our winning percentages during the Maguire era. He was more effectual on results than either Sam or GI. The Dogs prelim was testament to that

Of course you did. Yeah he wasn’t developed by Souths. WTF

Don’t disagree. But his point we were a development club was well supported by the 2014 premiership winning team.

13 of the 17 debuted at South Sydney

11 of the 17 came either through as juniors or via our 20s team

So once again your argument is flawed, baseless and devoid of reality
Perhaps we have different idea of what developing a player is….George
when he signed with us was already part of the Bradford Bulls first grade so I don’t call that development I call that astute recruitment.

As an example take Haiyzan Mellars been in our system for a few years - we have invested a fair bit of time and money I assume in developing him, 20 yrs old and never played FG. This season we signed Fletcher Myers 21 yrs old already played FG and provided more value for money than Mellars.

(PS I feel like you could be taking these discussions a little too personally - it’s a forum, take a deep breath, it’s all good)

Latest posts

Back