• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

Loved GI and his skill and almost agree with you but not a walk up over the likes of a Meninga, Miles & Steve Rogers in my humble
Steve Rogers was great but he’s hall of fame for mine. Never won a premiership.

Miles was great. There have been a lot better than him.

Meninga was a beast but I was surprised that he was named immortal. GI was better than Mal.

The best I've personally seen was Johns by a country mile, next I can't split between Kenny, GI and Bradley Clyde who were all different types of players but superstars in everything they did.
Cameron Smith.

Best hooker the game has ever seen. Hands down.

Plenty of competition in the other positions and debate about who was the better player.

Smith is GOAT.

Cameron Smith.

Best hooker the game has ever seen. Hands down.

Plenty of competition in the other positions and debate about who was the better player.

Smith is GOAT.
He's probably on my third tier along with players like Slater, Thurston and Ray Price. Personal opinions are always going to be different. That's why this whole Immortal concept is horribly flawed.

Meninga was a beast but I was surprised that he was named immortal.
Big Mal's list of achievements reads like an immoral. Aussie captain, Premiership winner and winning captain, 36 SOO, 46 test with 4 kangaroo tours two as captain. Not to mention his coaching achievements with Australia (26 tests) and Qld (30 games) . Mal is 100% an immortal.

So you’d pick Miles and Rogers ahead of Inglis?

If so, they should probably be immortals. :)

Found this regarding Miles

Where on earth was Gene Miles’ name when it came to the expert selection of the greatest ever Queensland State of Origin side?
He is rated by many at worst to be equal to big Mal Meninga, but astonishingly high praise now eludes him.
Mercifully Phil Gould and Johnathan Thurston had Miles on their reserves bench, but other Wide World of Sports experts Peter Sterling, Billy Slater, Andrew Johns, Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Paul Gallen and NSW coach Brad Fittler failed to select Miles at either centre, second row or as an interchange player.

This is despite him at one stage being the best centre in the world and, when he moved to the forwards in 1988, the best second rower in the game.
Blues’ great Steve Roach only stated last month that Miles was the best centre he played with, NSW ironman Geoff Toovey is an unabashed fan of the stampeding Miles while the great Michael O’Connor remains in awe of Miles’ deeds on the 1986 Kangaroo tour.
The legendary John Brass, a dual international who won back-to-back premiers with the Roosters in 1974-75, always believed Miles helped Wally Lewis on the path to greatness.
Miles’ former Origin team mate Gary Belcher said “there had to be a spot for him’’ in the Queensland best ever 17.

Big Mal's list of achievements reads like an immoral. Aussie captain, Premiership winner and winning captain, 36 SOO, 46 test with 4 kangaroo tours two as captain. Not to mention his coaching achievements with Australia (26 tests) and Qld (30 games) . Mal is 100% an immortal.
If Mal is immortal, GI is immortal.

Not rubbishing Mal. He was great.

GI was better.

Like the Rolling Stone Greatest Albums of All Time list, over time things get kind of homogenised.

A generation win the battle of saying who does and doesn’t matter, and that sentiment is inherited by the next and gets watered down some, and so on and so forth.

TBF I can only really speak with any sort of knowledge about players from the 90’s onwards.

And even then there are blind spots.

It’s not that long ago that games weren’t all televised and the breadth of footy people actually saw was limited.

Obviously there are flaws. Buts it’s a bit of fun and an important/novel way to hand down history.

Found this regarding Miles

Where on earth was Gene Miles’ name when it came to the expert selection of the greatest ever Queensland State of Origin side?
He is rated by many at worst to be equal to big Mal Meninga, but astonishingly high praise now eludes him.
Mercifully Phil Gould and Johnathan Thurston had Miles on their reserves bench, but other Wide World of Sports experts Peter Sterling, Billy Slater, Andrew Johns, Wally Lewis, Darren Lockyer, Paul Gallen and NSW coach Brad Fittler failed to select Miles at either centre, second row or as an interchange player.

This is despite him at one stage being the best centre in the world and, when he moved to the forwards in 1988, the best second rower in the game.
Blues’ great Steve Roach only stated last month that Miles was the best centre he played with, NSW ironman Geoff Toovey is an unabashed fan of the stampeding Miles while the great Michael O’Connor remains in awe of Miles’ deeds on the 1986 Kangaroo tour.
The legendary John Brass, a dual international who won back-to-back premiers with the Roosters in 1974-75, always believed Miles helped Wally Lewis on the path to greatness.
Miles’ former Origin team mate Gary Belcher said “there had to be a spot for him’’ in the Queensland best ever 17.
Gene Miles like Noel Cleal transitioned from centre to second row. They were both devastating runners with Miles probably the better ball player . I would definitely have Miles ahead of Renouf in Qld best of team at centre. I'd say many overlook just how great a centre he was because he was almost as good in the second row. Cleal was a far better second rower in comparison.

Gene Miles like Noel Cleal transitioned from centre to second row. They were both devastating runners with Miles probably the better ball player . I would definitely have Miles ahead of Renouf in Qld best of team at centre. I'd say many overlook just how great a centre he was because he was almost as good in the second row. Cleal was a far better second rower in comparison.
These comparisons are so difficult and the unfortunate thing is someone has to miss out when it comes to the best. One thing I do know is Miles was one mighty player and wish we had a Miles clone right now. He was right up there in the best centres I have seen and I saw Puff play.

Latest posts

Back