• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Mitchell

If anyone hasn't watched the Latrell documentary that started streaming last week, make sure you do. Provides some great insight.

I do have a concern that Latrell is sailing too close to the wind with the aggro. The fact that he has put himself into positions where he’s copping penalties and ‘on report’ situations is a worry. Yes, we want him to play his natural game which is built around his physical strength but it has to be controlled with a risk vs reward mindset. The risk side of the equation is potential time on the sidelines and the reward side has to be worth taking a borderline action. Getting involved in a ‘3rd man in’ situation is frankly a poor decision whichever way you look at it. I know he wants to demonstrate that as captain he’s supporting a team mate but it ain’t worth another spell on the sidelines. Goodness knows we have paid a heavy price in the past for on field misdemeanours, that’s the last thing we need to derail this seasons campaign.

I do have a concern that Latrell is sailing too close to the wind with the aggro. The fact that he has put himself into positions where he’s copping penalties and ‘on report’ situations is a worry. Yes, we want him to play his natural game which is built around his physical strength but it has to be controlled with a risk vs reward mindset. The risk side of the equation is potential time on the sidelines and the reward side has to be worth taking a borderline action. Getting involved in a ‘3rd man in’ situation is frankly a poor decision whichever way you look at it. I know he wants to demonstrate that as captain he’s supporting a team mate but it ain’t worth another spell on the sidelines. Goodness knows we have paid a heavy price in the past for on field misdemeanours, that’s the last thing we need to derail this seasons campaign.
He ran in a dragged Klemmer out of the way. that's why he was under any notice.

The tackle on Young was just BS, and the review committee concur.

The risk wasn’t worth the reward…what if a punch gets thrown in the ruckus and Latrell is 3rd man in, he’s implicated in whatever unfolds. The ref would have sorted Klemmer out regardless. Latrell is too valuable to the team to risk another suspension.

Last edited:
The risk wasn’t worth the reward…what if a punch gets thrown in the ruckus and Latrell is 3rd man in, he’s implicated in whatever unfolds. The ref would have sorted Klemmer our regardless. Latrell is too valuable to the team to risk another suspension.
The only thing that may happen in that situation for Latrell is a sin bin. That’s it. The player who would have thrown the punch would be the one suspended and not the 3rd man in.

I remember a game back in 2003 I think. It was against the Warriors at the SFS. I think the player was Francis Meli. I could be wrong there. Anyway he threw a punch and hit Ashley Harrison.

Not one of our players ran in or did a thing. I remember thinking at the time that this was soft. I couldn’t stand that none of his team mates had his back.

I loved seeing Latrell there having his team mates back. I bet you his team mates appreciate him and love knowing he has their back.

Let's see...
  • Latrell was captain
  • He ran in and pulled a player off his teammate - a player who had just elbowed his teammate in the head
  • He showed he had his player's back - a player who had been at the club less than a week, no less
  • He didn't throw a punch, didn't come in aggressively - just pulled the bloke off
To me that shows he's a leader and it showed his maturity. An immature reaction would be to run in and forcefully start a push-and-shove, or start swinging... he didn't.

I liked what I saw.

Let's see...
  • Latrell was captain
  • He ran in and pulled a player off his teammate - a player who had just elbowed his teammate in the head
  • He showed he had his player's back - a player who had been at the club less than a week, no less
  • He didn't throw a punch, didn't come in aggressively - just pulled the bloke off
To me that shows he's a leader and it showed his maturity. An immature reaction would be to run in and forcefully start a push-and-shove, or start swinging... he didn't.

I liked what I saw.
These reporters that earn an income from our great game really give me the sheets sometimes!

I know opinions are like back sides but it really annoys me when they cannot see the incident for what it was, which is described perfectly in the above post!!

I mean if you can’t see that Latrell is walking a tight line with his aggression surely you need to get your red and green contacts changed? That being said when he is out there he’s got to be one of my favourite Rabbitohs ever.

I mean if you can’t see that Latrell is walking a tight line with his aggression surely you need to get your red and green contacts changed? That being said when he is out there he’s got to be one of my favourite Rabbitohs ever.
Telling Latrell to remove his aggression would be like telling Sam Burgess to remove his aggression. It's part of what makes/made them elite and I wouldn't want either of them to change a thing.

The issue is he is unfairly targeted by the media. Tall poppies, Aussies, and all that.

I’m not saying anything other than he tows a fine line with it. Not stating whether that’s a bad thing. Just that he does. Sam did too. And as I said I love watching Latrell when he’s on the field for us. He just has a small margin for error.

Now you've got Graham Annesley coming out and saying Latrell is lucky he wasn't binned at the end, when literally no-one gets binned for that sort of thing.

The rhetoric surrounding Latrell is something else I tell ya. He's a bigger man than I - if it were me I'd give the whole institution the middle finger and go find something else to do.

“There were a number of things that happened in that incident – it was the very end of the game – and there were also a couple of incidents that took place immediately prior to that tackle, so tempers were running at a fairly high level,” he said.

“Having reviewed it, although it was full-time and there are always time pressures to get the players off the field and make sure nothing else can eventuate, we felt that the sin bin was probably a better option in that case.

“Another aspect of that was Latrell Mitchell running in and dragging a player off. He could have very easily seen himself in the sin bin as well.

“We do see players charged for that sort of action and we do see players sent to the sin bin for that type of action, so my recommendation to any player who wants to make sure that they don’t find themselves in the sin bin and they don’t want to find themselves charged, that if you’re not involved in the incident, then stay out of it.”

Absolutely astonishing that more negative things have been said about Latrell dragging a bloke off his teammate, than about the player who dropped an elbow onto him.

From the media you expect this, they sensationalise for clicks. But from the NRL's Head of Operations? Puerile.

It's a great thing I love South Sydney because I can't stand the NRL.

The NRL and the NRL Media have their sights set on Latrell.

The moment he steps out of line they will crucify him.

He’s the only man that can take someone like Putin off the front page.
Agreed there is an hidden agenda

Latest posts

Back