• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Lewis Dodd

The smarter punt would of been Ethan Sanders.

Would of come at a bottom tier contract and kicks the ball every bit as well as Dodd

Not saying Dodd isn’t a worthwhile prospect but 4 years at $700k for an untried halfback in the NRL doesn’t seem like great value atm.

If he kills it. It’s the buy of the year. If he struggles that’s a lot of coin to be tied up in Reggie’s when the club can’t find the money for a big middle, a right winger and big fast athletic edge
Good points well made. On the upside if Dodd is not a success a halves combo of Dodd and Illias in Reggie's will return us to the top of the ladder. Also I'm all in for the winger

You miss the point. We are stock piling players, to fill those positions left vacant by retiring, transferring players. Much the way Melbourne and Penrith do it. Someone leaves and another steps in as next man up. Not to say if someone of exceptional talent comes on the market, you don't at least do a feasibility study to see if they fit into our club, skills wise and salary ca wise.
Melbourne and Penrith don’t stockpile 10 of the same type of player for positions which are rather non intrinsic to success

Where are our stockpile of props?

Fullbacks?

5/8s

Hookers?

Halfbacks?

Wingers and Centres?

We have a stock pile of smaller, mobile edge/middle forwards that in all respect apart from Duncan wouldn’t get a run at Melbourne or Penrith

Good points well made. On the upside if Dodd is not a success a halves combo of Dodd and Illias in Reggie's will return us to the top of the ladder. Also I'm all in for the winger
That’s 1.2 million of cap space tied up in Reggie’s

That’s a disaster there’s no upside if that occurs

That’s 1.2 million of cap space tied up in Reggie’s

That’s a disaster there’s no upside if that occurs
The thing with Dodd if he does become a flop and struggles to stay in first grade, it won’t be long before homesickness kicks in.

Of course they are and Duncan is already in the first grade side. I don't see why we have to be satisfied with what have if we can improve. The Roosters recruitment at times can be viscious, Cronk in and Pearce out for one example, and they have the success that follows. At 20 and as the best backrower in the Superleague he has a big future. My position is because we have some up and coming young players, who are not guaranteed to play first grade for us in the future, not to shut the door on other options that may walk straight into our team. Worth watching Nsemba. What if he is the backrow Sam Burgess.
Agreed we should investigate all avenues and also I am really hoping for some significant game time from some of the names mentioned in 25 aside from Tallis who I think is already in the top 17 of most members.

I follow your point. Arrow is still around for a few years but there is no guarantee that these stockpiled players will be. Like Suali they may get a better offer. The guy I mentioned is ready now. Personally I think the Tigers should flick Bateman and try to poach Nsemba.
If we were to go after Nsemba, is there anyone in mind that you think we could offload to free up cap space? And/or a combo of 3rd party deals and ... dare I say it ... more lucrative back ended contract (within reason)...I know the risks, but we did a little of this with Jack?

The thing with Dodd if he does become a flop and struggles to stay in first grade, it won’t be long before homesickness kicks in.
Yes the home sickness is a very real possibility. Wasn't that an issue for the English FB for Warriors a few years back. Sam Tomkins? Also didn't George Williams complain of that too? At least at Canberra he would acclimatise quicker.

Well, we should know by about rounds 6/7/8/9..so if he aint cutting it, will be super interesting to see how WB handles the situation because his 3 year window with us could be his last best chance of another title.
Possibly a player swap with StH or other ESL could be a possibility.
I am really getting ahead of myself here...lets just hope nails it behind a really well performed forward pack.
If our forwards are below par, it will make life very difficult for him indeed.

Wonder if WB should just hold off with any more signings and wait and see how the team gels for a few rounds.
He will have a much better idea about many of our talking points so he can target his next recruiting step. We are all guessing to an extent and even WB doesn’t have a crystal ball.

Seems Dodd was keen to get out here, so not sure we’ll be able to just fall back on that.

Seems Dodd was keen to get out here, so not sure we’ll be able to just fall back on that.
Appart from the weather aspect, it hailed in their GF for eg, considering the way he was used at St Helens, this trip to Souths could be what he is after. Appart from kicking he didn't get that much ball compared to the halves in the NRL, or other ESL halves.

If we were to go after Nsemba, is there anyone in mind that you think we could offload to free up cap space? And/or a combo of 3rd party deals and ... dare I say it ... more lucrative back ended contract (within reason)...I know the risks, but we did a little of this with Jack?
I have since read that Nsemba has signed a long deal with Wigan. It would cost a heavy transfer fee if he agreed or if he had an NRL clause in his contract. Time will come when he wants to play in the strongest competition, like so many other English forwards in the present and past, but I can't see it for the next few years. Perhaps as a replacement for Arrow when he retires. Either way it would have been good to look at him before he signed his latest deal.

I have since read that Nsemba has signed a long deal with Wigan. It would cost a heavy transfer fee if he agreed or if he had an NRL clause in his contract. Time will come when he wants to play in the strongest competition, like so many other English forwards in the present and past, but I can't see it for the next few years. Perhaps as a replacement for Arrow when he retires. Either way it would have been good to look at him before he signed his latest deal.
Ok thanks Bruster.

Yeah he’s sighed a 6 year deal and there isn’t an NRL clause in there. I think they acted quickly to tie him down as he’d only just signed an improved contract last year. They will expect a big fee if he does go anywhere

Yeah he’s sighed a 6 year deal and there isn’t an NRL clause in there. I think they acted quickly to tie him down as he’d only just signed an improved contract last year. They will expect a big fee if he does go anywhere

And you just know that there is no swap deals ever going to be ratified if your mob don't even think Cleary would make your team.

**** that's hilarious btw.

Back