• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Lewis Dodd saint Helen’s half to the rabbitohs

Apparently Lachy wants to stay so if it was me I'd just tell the club that I'm staying until my contract has ended and that I'm happy to play wherever they want.
At least if Bennett's here he can think outside the box, and if Ilias stays, come up with another position/role.

Gould thought about offering Dodd a deal but pulled out. Claiming it was price related.
Just say you tried, but Souths are better and he chose us instead of your mob.

He’s more transparent than the roosters salary cap
Gould has every right to share that detail and protect his club. If he said nothing, or that Dodd preferred Souths, it’s dismissive of the Dogs.

Mimis shopping him around, them assessing and deciding no, is far more palatable.

Unless of cause he becomes an elite 7. Then Gould has set himself up for some egg.

But you can guarantee those same posters crucifying Illias will be going hammer and tong at his replacement for every mistake he makes. That's how this place rolls.
We had no issue with Ilias until the second half of last season, his form dropped along with the rest of team including our highest paid. Prior to the third SOO he was the 7 in a team leading the comp.

In 2022 Ilias was the 7 that got us to a GF qualifier where we lead the Panthers 12-0 before Mitchell threw a pass at Tatola's head that he dropped and another stupid pass at Graham which he dropped with both leading to tries. In the second half all our high paid stars in Cook, Walker, Mitchell had nothing against the Panthers and we capitulated.

Was Ilias that bad or was it the coaching and the culture at the club that impacted his form ?

We had no issue with Ilias until the second half of last season, his form dropped along with the rest of team including our highest paid. Prior to the third SOO he was the 7 in a team leading the comp.

In 2022 Ilias was the 7 that got us to a GF qualifier where we lead the Panthers 12-0 before Mitchell threw a pass at Tatola's head that he dropped and another stupid pass at Graham which he dropped with both leading to tries. In the second half all our high paid stars in Cook, Walker, Mitchell had nothing against the Panthers and we capitulated.

Was Ilias that bad or was it the coaching and the culture at the club that impacted his form ?

I don’t think the question is whether Ilias could play a role in a good team or not. I think the answer there is probably yes? 2022 shows that.

But I think you need more in a 7 than just not being terrible. They need to contribute with the ball, and they need to kick well (considering who else is in this side).

He might be a victim of poor development at the club, but it’s history now. They’ve gone another direction with the 7.

Not sure he got better in many aspects of play during his 2 seasons in grade.

Gus is a dinosaur and past it.

He sacked Ivan Cleary.

Penriff went on to win comps once they punted him from the club.

Bulldogs have been going no where as well, they have managed to make big name signings and still struggle.

He shows his fans juniors results to try and deflect from first grade not performing and we all know just because you have some good jnr sides, doesn't mean it translate to first grade success.

He went to two clubs that already had strong junior teams and tries to take credit for everything.

Spent big money on that kid at the Broncos who he thought was the next big thing and paid out his contract and the kid got dropped after a few games and hasn't been seen again.

I think Ilias was on a good trajectory but has not made that next step to owning and directing a team.
Compare Ilias to Brad Schneider on the weekend, Brad is a year younger than Ilias played 12 or so games but on the weekend he stepped into Cleary’s shoes and did a good job directing the team. Ilias had that opportunity last year when the team was going well and imo he did not make that step.

I think Ilias was on a good trajectory but has not made that next step to owning and directing a team.
Compare Ilias to Brad Schneider on the weekend, Brad is a year younger than Ilias played 12 or so games but on the weekend he stepped into Cleary’s shoes and did a good job directing the team. Ilias had that opportunity last year when the team was going well and imo he did not make that step.
To be fair, Ilias would look like a star in that confident well coached line up too.

He shows his fans juniors results to try and deflect from first grade not performing and we all know just because you have some good jnr sides, doesn't mean it translate to first grade success.

He went to two clubs that already had strong junior teams and tries to take credit for everything.

The junior pathways we’re a mess at Penrith. That was well documented.
It was Gould who corrected that

Last edited:
Documented by gould to talk himself up 😂
It’s why they originally punted Cleary.

Gould was impressed by the Brisbane dev system, so brought Griffin in, less as a ‘better first grade coach’, but more as a head coach who understood how and why the changes that were being made below him were being made.

Cleary gets to enjoy the fruits of that work in his squad every day right now.

And many have pointed out there were far more heads than just Gould and Griffin invovled with the Panther production line overhaul.

Nonetheless, prior to Gould, there was nobody at the top with a mind to put into action the junior focus he did. Have all the good people underneath you want, without a name at the top that the money men will back to get a job done, they are likely still out there chasing their tails.

It’s why they originally punted Cleary.

Gould was impressed by the Brisbane dev system, so brought Griffin in, less as a ‘better first grade coach’, but more as a head coach who understood how and why the changes that were being made below him were being made.

Cleary gets to enjoy the fruits of that work in his squad every day right now.

And many have pointed out there were far more heads than just Gould and Griffin invovled with the Panther production line overhaul.

Nonetheless, prior to Gould, there was nobody at the top with a mind to put into action the junior focus he did. Have all the good people underneath you want, without a name at the top that the money men will back to get a job done, they are likely still out there chasing their tails.

Disagree, No Ivan Cleary then no Panthers 3 peat.

Sacking him was a huge blunder.

Then from memory he sacks Griffin while they were currently top 4 and end up missing the finals as a result.

I don't think he wanted Ivan back which is why he ended up leaving.

Everyone mocked him for his 5 year plan, which turned to 6, to 7, to 8,9,10 etc

The systems Ivan put in place from first grade down, where it runs as a system, next player who steps into first grade slots straight in and does the job, even Nathan Cleary can be replaced by a no name half back and they barely skip a beat.

Whoever their high performance staff is should also get a lot of credit, they have been fitter than other sides by a large margin and the way they're coached to have their backs do most of the grunt work helps with their fitness.

Their backs aren't big, I believe they're coached in how to run and use their body and leg drive effectively which is something we lack at Souths.

We could have big wingers like Thompson on each wing but we still wouldn't have much impact in metres and helping the forwards as we just don't train that way or are coached that way

Disagree, No Ivan Cleary then no Panthers 3 peat.

Sacking him was a huge blunder.

Then from memory he sacks Griffin while they were currently top 4 and end up missing the finals as a result.

I don't think he wanted Ivan back which is why he ended up leaving.

Everyone mocked him for his 5 year plan, which turned to 6, to 7, to 8,9,10 etc

The systems Ivan put in place from first grade down, where it runs as a system, next player who steps into first grade slots straight in and does the job, even Nathan Cleary can be replaced by a no name half back and they barely skip a beat.

Whoever their high performance staff is should also get a lot of credit, they have been fitter than other sides by a large margin and the way they're coached to have their backs do most of the grunt work helps with their fitness.

Their backs aren't big, I believe they're coached in how to run and use their body and leg drive effectively which is something we lack at Souths.

We could have big wingers like Thompson on each wing but we still wouldn't have much impact in metres and helping the forwards as we just don't train that way or are coached that way
Junior clubs are also a big help out there. St Marys is a powerhouse and has been since Penrith came into the comp. Plenty of those talented juniors have and are progressing through that club. Not sure Pathways has much to do with what's happening there. The Cartwrights have their footprints all over that club starting with Merv in the 70's and progressing to his son David who's now the new President.

Junior clubs are also a big help out there. St Marys is a powerhouse and has been since Penrith came into the comp. Plenty of those talented juniors have and are progressing through that club. Not sure Pathways has much to do with what's happening there. The Cartwrights have their footprints all over that club starting with Merv in the 70's and progressing to his son David who's now the new President.

What I said previous was the panthers were strong in lower grades for years before gus arrived and are strong way after he left.

He just trying to take full credit for it, like how he's at bulldogs when they have also had strong lower grades as well.

Gould is myth.

Back