• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Lewis Dodd saint Helen’s half to the rabbitohs

LOVE THIS!!!! Absolutely love it! Finally the club has acknowledged that they made a mistake letting Reynolds go and backing Lachy, and finally the club is doing something about it and making a big change. This is massive for us, absolutely massive. He's been a part of the St Helens dynasty so clearly he's one of the best halves in that competition and a very good player. From his highlights, he looks to have it all.

Could he be our savior? Who knows. I'm not going to call that this early, but you just never know. This could be the move that finally fixes the halfback issue for us and fixes it long term. That's awfully exciting!! Extremely exciting. Hallelujah!!!
Agree mate and well done for saying it remember what I told you and the whole Pride when we let Adam go they’ll regret it wrong call well I sure got abused and called all sorts of expletives and got told I was wrong and had no idea but I nailed it. You can’t get anywhere in the NRL without a good number 7 you just can’t.

I’m so happy the club is now admitting they ****ed up it had to happen for us to go forward we need a half with a strong kicking game and organiser and apparently Dodd has both these attributes.

I’m excited for Dodd to join us next year he’s still only 22 as well.

The Dodd signing sounds okay, but not getting too eager about it yet.

From the highlights I've seen his ball play and running/backing up and ball distribution close to the line, say within the opposition's quarter, looks good and reminds me a little of Cleary.

Have not seen much sign of a kicking game.

Pardon me for being cynical but have Souths carried out due diligence and looked into his game thoroughly to see if he fits, if he is the type of half we need and able to carry out a role for us?

Or is it a signing that allows them to say "see, we are addressing the issues".

Since Reynolds left we have not had a legit #7 that can carry out the role as required.
Hopefully this is the right step to fixing that little problem.

From the highlights I've seen his ball play and running/backing up and ball distribution close to the line, say within the opposition's quarter, looks good and reminds me a little of Cleary.

Pardon me for being cynical but have Souths carried out due diligence and looked into his game thoroughly to see if he fits, if he is the type of half we need and able to carry out a role for us?

Since Reynolds left we have not had a legit #7 that can carry out the role as required.
It’s a fair question and not only a Souths issue.

I look at the Roosters and wonder why they have gone about the recruitment strategy they have.

Yeah on paper their team looks good, and without getting too far into a debate, it’s fair to say their coach has some runs on the board, but the side as it’s assembled just doesn’t work. They have too many fullbacks, not enough punch in the middle and little leadership.

You’ve got halves that want to play footy, and a bunch of athletes around them that all want the ball in their hand. Something has to give.

So yeah, buying a good player is great. But I agree, you also need the right players.

Bennett is someone who knows what he needs in a top side. As soon as he got here last time he grabbed Su’a, Roberts and another that I’m forgetting. Ignoring that Roberts didn’t pan out (they don’t always), the intent and theory of the signing was right.

If Wayne has had any input whatsoever on Dodd then I’d feel comfortable. I think that’s probably far fetched though considering he’s currently coaching the Dolphins and JD hasn’t been sacked yet.

That assurance aside, we are in a bit of a scarce period for recruitment - playmakers specifically. This isn’t a Souths problem, it’s an NRL problem. 17th team, COVID development skid, increase in cap that sees players re-signed. It’s not the reason we’re poor, but it’s an environmental element that needs to be considered.

So when you can get a good player, maybe you press go and then figure out a way to make it work?

That will be the job of the new coach.

How do you get Mitchell and Walker who are best off passing the ball, and Gray, Dodd, Wighton, who are best running the ball, to all work together well and effectively.

Dodd does seem to have a solid short kicking game from the highlights. And he does seem to create, even if it isn’t as the traditional link man. James Maloney was like that and spent time at 7 with success.

I’ll be very interested to hear James Graham’s take on the rumour this week.

Might give that Panthers WCC game a look.

Last edited:

100% agree with the concerns.
It does however seem to me that the new coach is calling this shot, and that this player fits in with his plans, including all the necessary due diligence stuff. Maybe it’s wishful thinking from me, but it does seem its the new boss future planning already

From what I can gather a few of the (supposed) St Helens fans seem to have formed the view that since a recent (not sure if it was last season) injury he hasn’t come back the same player….lost confidence attacking the line, tentative directing the team around and his kicking game has taken a hit….Whether that’s the case or not I certainly see an orange light pending due diligence on his medicals particularly the structural state around the injury.
I took the time to watch a few of the Fox mini games featuring St Helens since round 1 of the season and he looked ok in the highlights without being spectacular. I’ll watch the rest over the next day or so but I did notice that he didn’t play in the most recent game so that could be injury related although some fans think it could have something to do with his plans to jump ship to the NRL.

That’s to be expected. He did an achilles I think. Not something you just dive back into form from.

Christian Welch did one and is arguably still trying to find that pre injury form that saw him one of the best props in the game.

On Dodd’s side is his age. Assuming it’s healed, he has plenty of time to get back to form. He happened in 2022, so he’ll be a good 2 years post injury in 2025.

Josh Reynolds and James Graham talking him up big time on a podcast today

You’d have to assume the new coach is known and sorted.

Can’t see Dodd moving to Aus and signing with Souths under the current regime given it sounds like he had his share of offers from other clubs.

Same goes for releasing Ilias. The new coach would have had to bless that call.

With that all said Bennett coming back must be a short price.

Does Dodd even remotely look like a JD / Ellison acquisition?

Both have probably never seen him play before, they’ve been to busy watching Cutters games looking for the next plodder

I’m so happy the club is now admitting they ****ed up it had to happen

Except they don't admit that, there is not even a mention of Reynolds in that article. Not only don't they mention him, there is no mention of the decision around Reynolds. Stop making shit up.

By the way, there is a Reynolds thread in which you can carry on with bullshit, this isn't it.

Last edited:
My excitement has slightly dwindled after watching 360.

Yes you need to take what they say with a grain of salt, but supposedly he was shopped around to all clubs and we were the only ones who jumped.

I thought we were proactive and targeted him. Doesnt look like thats the case.

Latest posts

Back