• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Lets have it.. who is the next coach?

I think it's a fair comment.

Two assistant coaches left at the end of last season.

I believe only one was replaced and appointing another now seems to suggest it was an oversight.
To say we had some oversights in the offseason is an understatement in the greatest degree.

It’s why the coach isn’t going to be here next season (save a minor miracle).

Adding a voice in Furner (who first and foremost is an ex Souths coach more than ‘JD’s mate’) is a small step towards attempting to right the ship.

My point is, JD is a dead man walking. He’s 6 losses away from his fate being sealed, it’s just a matter of when (it will almost definitely happen before then).

Sitting on the sidelines and compiling a case against a guy that’s for all intents and purposes sentenced to death, comes across as gloating and know-it-all-ism.

Might not be the intent, but that’s how it sounds.

Agree - the best possible outcome is JD gets this right and we emerge from this a better and stronger team. Granted I think this is unlikely outcome.

Something had to change and it has so I’m happy about that. It does suggest to me that JD will likely be given quite a few more games to get this right.
I still don’t see how JD possibly survives after the next 2 games…..Storm and Penrith. Both are odds on floggings.
Furner is step 1 taking over as caretaker. Step 2 find a new head coach for 2025 onwards.

It's amazing to me that JD still has the job.

They're expecting him to turn it around against Storm in Melbourne and against Penrith the following week?

Or they secretly hoping we get 50 put on us and then fire him that way?

They're expecting him to turn it around against Storm in Melbourne and against Penrith the following week?

Either or.

If he turns it around, great.

If he doesn’t (which we all realise, along with the club, is likely), then you gave it every chance and he wasn’t up to it.

If I thought there was any chance of a caretaker saving our season, I’d be more inclined to march him now.

That isn’t happening though.

It’s a babysitting exercise at that point.

Might as well give him every chance to salvage his career. As there isn’t much to lose.

The next time he gets a big score put on him, or if we lose a couple in a row, he’ll be gone.

If he avoids that through some miracle and still makes the finals (fairy land stuff), then well done.

Secretly hoping is putting too much of a spin on it. Sit back and wait for the inevitable is closer to reality. We’d be flat out getting within 30 points under ideal circumstances but given the current state of our line up and our form thus far a flogging is a pretty safe bet.
I’d never hope for anything other than a win but realistically it’s going to take some sort of miraculous turnaround.

Didn’t we win NSW Cup last year and we currently sit 4th?
With mainly an old experienced side of players who are not going to make the NRL anytime soon. We need more young blood with potential….

With mainly an old experienced side of players who are not going to make the NRL anytime soon. We need more young blood with potential….
Problem is with the young talent we have they can’t stay on the field. The likes of Munro, Mellars, Fletcher, Le Blanc and Lovett have spent more time off the field than on it.

People do need to remember that the other night, with 10 starting 17 first graders out, players 18-27 were on the field.

Put Gray, Munro, Tass, Hawkins, Havili, Thompson, Milne, Mitchell and Chee Kam back to NSW Cup and along with Fletcher, Mellars, and Lovett, it’s a pretty worthwhile side.

Add the fact they are playing well, winning, and coming off a Premiership, I don’t buy bagging Cup. A bright spot on the season if anything.

And yes, add 3-4 of those guys who are eligible for Flegg and it makes that a little more interesting too.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be surprised if JD sees the season out but I think where we are sitting by round 14 will be D day

They should have sacked him before the Sharks game. Nice guy, but should not be our head coach.

If we string some wins together it's only going to muddy the waters further.

They should have sacked him before the Sharks game. Nice guy, but should not be our head coach.

If we string some wins together it's only going to muddy the waters further.
The timing of the sacking involves many variables that we are not privy too.

For example, Wayne may have said that he is coming but only if JD is treated fairly. Give him help etc and only get rid of him if the team is not improving its performance. (This is just a hypothetical)

Another piece in the puzzle was getting the right caretaker. I understand the reluctance of having Hornby in that role, when he was JD's right-hand man. Why would the players respond to him, if he is just JD Mark II and is seen as the co-architect of everything that went wrong.

Furner would be a far better caretaker than Mal.

Funnily enough, Furner's appointment IMO is not extending JD's stay. If performance does not improve the sacking is now easier to make.

Back