• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Latest Rumours

The deal was done back in May.

Not knocking the kid (he is a kid), hope he kills it, but man I'd love for us to have a bit of difference in our forwards... we love the smaller hard-working type. Would love some bigger bodies next.

I think that's the way forward these days.

Gone are the big men, replaced with, well, still big men, but with more focus on footwork, speed, stamina and agility.

I think that's the way forward these days.

Gone are the big men, replaced with, well, still big men, but with more focus on footwork, speed, stamina and agility.
I think you still need some a couple of bigger bodies to bend the line - especially when you're on the back foot.

Murray is also a freak and to replicate what he can do at his size would be very rare.

I think you still need some a couple of bigger bodies to bend the line - especially when you're on the back foot.

Murray is also a freak and to replicate what he can do at his size would be very rare.

Dependant on what you classify as a big boy?

I think Tats and Davvy are 2024 big boys.

I get the impression the club like to have all the ‘types’ coming through at any given time.

They clearly aren’t out to be strong across the park in all grades, but there does seem to be an appetite to have a pre NRL - worker middle, hard edge, big middle, skillfull outside back, big bodied outside back, prospect half, etc.

Due to coming, goings and graduations, those profiles can be a few deep or bare, but that’s my read on how they do their prospect recruitment.

I’d assume with the idea that only so many guys get to participate in the NRL, but if you have all the flavours on hand, you are never far away from a solution.

As mentioned in a post the other day, the one that has been a long time coming due to a number of false starts is the big outside back (ala Sualii, Kalokalo, Karapani, Fergusson, etc).

The deal was done back in May.

Not knocking the kid (he is a kid), hope he kills it, but man I'd love for us to have a bit of difference in our forwards... we love the smaller hard-working type. Would love some bigger bodies next.
Agreed

It’s why I thought we should be looking at Topinua. I think he’d balance our back row nicely ( although I don’t think he and Kikau are a good balance at the Dogs)

One big body up front with a rangey athletic edge coming off the bench would complete our pack

I have concerns over Arrows value for money over the next few seasons. He seems to be pretty injury prone and doesn’t offer all that much in the way of impact

Agreed

It’s why I thought we should be looking at Topinua. I think he’d balance our back row nicely ( although I don’t think he and Kikau are a good balance at the Dogs)

One big body up front with a rangey athletic edge coming off the bench would complete our pack

I have concerns over Arrows value for money over the next few seasons. He seems to be pretty injury prone and doesn’t offer all that much in the way of impact
I take your point, but I don’t think we need an impact second rower for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I’m entirely happy with the idea of 2 defensive workhorses who are happy to take a tough carry and play close to 80 given the star presence already in our backline out wide. Not many teams have Wighton, Graham, Walker and Mitchell as threats out wide. We’re at least somewhat unique there (or at least in a small pool). So IF it’s an Aitken (pending signing conf)/Arrow proposition on the edge, I’m fine with that.

Secondly, you have two options for dynamism on one of your edges in Murray and Koloamatangi. Personally I’d prefer them both in the middle. But if the middle gets a little too crowded, or as you say, Bennett wants some ‘strike on an edge’, both could serve a purpose. Murray as a more agile option, Koloamatangi for more of a power game.

If the Aitken noise is on the money, I think we’re a 3rd or 4th string prop off having a very tidy little pack for 2025.

You can slice a pack of Moale, Koloamatangi, Arrow, Aitken, Murray, Tatola, a prop recruit and Duncan any number of ways and come up with a build that works well.

Nab a quality right winger with some size and agility and I think it’s a dynamite squad personally.

What deal has he signed? Top 30? Development? Flegg?
I’d assume Black Rabbit. Though it hasn’t been stated.

Being 18 and a forward, I’d assume he’ll graduate to a dev deal at some point as opposed to starting on one.

But that’s just an assumption given past actions by the club.

Le Blanc is a good example of them figuring things out in that regard, even next year I believe he is still on a dev deal. Unless they decide to upgrade him.

Payne Haas would suggest otherwise as does the interest in Stefano.
They’re becoming the exception as opposed to the rule though (though even that might be too much of an overstatement TBF).

The big man will always have a place obviously.

And if someone is big, agile, and has a motor, they will dominate. But those packages are few and far between (like those you’ve highlignted).

And from an output point of view, while Stafano is good to look at, I’d argue what he provides is not worth the cash that could be spent elsewhere with a less shiny product in his place.

They’re becoming the exception as opposed to the rule though (though even that might be too much of an overstatement TBF).

The big man will always have a place obviously.

And if someone is big, agile, and has a motor, they will dominate. But those packages are few and far between (like those you’ve highlignted).

And from an output point of view, while Stafano is good to look at, I’d argue what he provides is not worth the cash that could be spent elsewhere with a less shiny product in his place.

Exactly.

Payne Haas is a generational talent that combines size, speed, footwork, agility and stamina in one.

That is why he has succesfully demanded the highest yearly salary of any front-rower in the history of the game.

If it was easy to find players like him, they wouldn't be thought of as generational and they wouldn't command the money he does.

I don't want a Payne Haas.

I want a Tom Burgess of a few years ago.

When we're on the back foot, someone to bring on, run from the back fence and help turn momentum.

We don't have anyone else in that mould.

With that in mind I really hope the Royce Hunt rumours are true.

Back