• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Hornby needs to relax

There's been plenty of changes which have impressed me...
  • No.1 being our defensive structure changes on our edges (hold-and-slide vs up-and-in)
  • Moving Keaon to the middle
  • Using Moale properly (starting workhorse vs pseudo-impact player)
  • Utilising Latrell's kicking game
  • Wighton into the halves and Cody on the right (though this was probably more by necessity, but a good move none-the-less)
I really liked JD as a bloke, said everything right, but it's obvious the further we move away from him that he really was not the right coach for this club.
Given our struggles with the kicking game, on top of his mind boggling use of the bench, JD not realising using Latrell as a kicker looking back is such an indictment on his coaching

• No.1 being our defensive structure changes on our edges (hold-and-slide vs up-and-in)
  • Wighton into the halves and Cody on the right (though this was probably more by necessity, but a good move none-the-less)
I really liked JD as a bloke, said everything right, but it's obvious the further we move away from him that he really was not the right coach for this club.
Add permitting 2nd phase play to your list.

I spoke to Ben last night after the game. He said he can’t wait to get home to read the Pride and get advice on the team to pick next week and our game plan.
And it shows in the performances. Obviously JD never logged into the Pride.

This has been the biggest improvement by far.

Last night, I was getting frustrated with Taane because he started to slip into bad habits, rushing out of the line, and leaving his inside and outside men exposed.
And as one of his bigger supporters on here (well arguing to give him a few weeks to disprove last year's debacle), unfortunately JD was not the right coach. I'm happy to admit when I'm wrong.

The change in defensive structures alone has been huge. Going from 30 points a game to 13 or whatever it is, is just massive.

If only JD did that he still might have a job 😂
I thought winning comps in state cup would show you can coach at any level but for whatever reason JD could not improve players skills and he could not get the best out of his top four squad.

I guess it also shows that NRL level is so far removed from state cup level that coaches need to step up just like players have to. Some can, some cannot.

I remember telling people I thought JD would be a great NRL coach.

I will be interested to see how he performs if/when he gets another go at NRL level.

I wish him well, as we all would.

Meanwhile, I am like a kid in a chocolate factory and absolutely loving the work of Ben, David and our mighty team, SOUTH SYDNEY!

Long may it continue!

I’d like to see Davey get a longer stint on his second spell

I’d also like to see Tallis come on 10 minutes before half time. I think we look our most potent through the middle and on the edges when Keaon, Murray and Tallis are in at the same time
It seemed like JD wanted to do everything the opposite to how Wayne did things and our roster wasn’t constructed for it

Wayne doesn’t like players sprinting out of the line. JD coached that very tactic. I saw it first hand

We stopped attacking inside our own half, when under Wayne we would attack from our side of tge 40 metre mark

We tried to play a yardage game like Penrith with only one yardage player in our back 5

Wayne told him to keep Reynolds he let him go

With all that said I really don’t give a f$&k about making the 8. As long as we are playing good football and more importantly building the players to be better next season

That’s why I think Tallis and Davey should be getting more minutes

Hornby did say in his presser this week the biggest change has been the kicking game.

It’s hard to think that Hornby or someone didn’t say that to JD in which case it was boneheaded decision to not try it. It would have been easiest thing to change…

Offloads (not obsessing over completition rates)

Long kicking game designed to just thundercunt the ball as high as possible (not obsessed over lollipop kicks to corners)

Two massive changes that has changed the aesthethics of this side.

Win lose or draw, our style is much more 'in the game' set by set. We are not playing like robots anymore.

The JD aura is finally gone.

I was only thinking last night when was the last time we threatened the opposition with huge attacking high kicks……and surprisingly it is now Latrell terrorising the opposition back 3. Add Jack Wighton who also has a prodigious high kick and suddenly we’re dishing out what we usually cop. The 21 GF immediately springs to mind.

I was only thinking last night when was the last time we threatened the opposition with huge attacking high kicks……and surprisingly it is now Latrell terrorising the opposition back 3. Add Jack Wighton who also has a prodigious high kick and suddenly we’re dishing out what we usually cop. The 21 GF immediately springs to mind.
I bet WB is sitting back salivating at the thought of being here next season.

I was thinking last night when was the last time we looked comfortable defending our line for multiple sets

Back