• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Latest Rumours

Two counters - what ensures that our players will be fit? Arrow coming off a major injury, Junior is still limping around in a boot, Trell has a lot to prove and is not a 20 plus game player, Cam hasn't played done any contact work for a long time and Cook / Tom are now gone.

You don't get the Cody point? I don't understand what is complicated about questioning how a near 37 year old (if we are believing we can be there in Sept / Oct of 2026) is unheard of. Cooper Cronk, Cam Smith comparisons? Guess what, they had won multiple comps and Origin series. Cody has never done that.

Most are of the opinion we were poorly prepared for the season. Get that right and see a better outcome re: injury list. Won’t ever be perfect, but can certainly be better.

Two counters - what ensures that our players will be fit? Arrow coming off a major injury, Junior is still limping around in a boot, Trell has a lot to prove and is not a 20 plus game player, Cam hasn't played done any contact work for a long time and Cook / Tom are now gone.

You don't get the Cody point? I don't understand what is complicated about questioning how a near 37 year old (if we are believing we can be there in Sept / Oct of 2026) is unheard of. Cooper Cronk, Cam Smith comparisons? Guess what, they had won multiple comps and Origin series. Cody has never done that.
Because we had an excessive injuries to our key players this year does not mean that this will occur next year. Every team has injuries as we will too but that many for that long? The 2025 season is 7 months away. I am sure Junior and Arrow will be fit by then. I don't understand the point with Cam Murray? Cook and Tom will be missed but we have a few emerging young players that will be better after an offseason under WB.
We will never have common ground over Cody other than wait and see. I am a believer in desire and fitness over age.

Graham being good in the air is a bit of a
furphy, he’s never been that well utilised in this area. Even when he was on the wing, we didn’t kick to him/have any great success with him in the air.
Not a furphy at all. The very few times CG has been used as an aerial target he has gone ok, from memory. It is more on our halves that he has not been used as an aerial target more often. But saying that how many times has the ball gone one side when there is a 3 man overlap on the other.

I actually believe 6 is the position we are in desperate need for when taking into account Cody's form and age.

You need a succession plan, and you need to invest in it early and not when it becomes an emergency.

Everyone has this belief Trell will be this brilliant 6 without ever actually seeing him play 6.

Yes his passing game is brilliant when defenders jam in on him, but that don't make him a 6 IMO.
He has all the attributes that could make him an outstanding 6.

Great runner of the ball, ability to draw in defenders, stand in tackles and offload, strong defensively in the front line, decent short kicking game.

That said, yes he’s definitely an unknown quantity there and we do look short in all spine positions if I’m being honest

Dodd may be a hit or he may be a miss. The more I watch ESL the more I think Dean Hawkins would even look like a star there.

While the in goals are shorter the time and space given to kickers over there is light years apart from what you get here.

It wouldn’t surprise me if Humphreys ends up the better option at 7.

Mamo isn’t our answer at 9, seriously the 9s in the WNRL have better service than he does. His pass out of DH is putrid

Then there’s fullback, Trell doesn’t have another 5 years as a 1, his body ain’t up to it. So if he goes to 6 we then don’t have a 1, as Gray isn’t going to be the guy to carry us from back there to a title

There really needs to be a hard look this offseason of building depth through out pathways in so many key positions

I think because CG has not been used much in the air doesn't mean he is not good in the air. At 6'5 he has a good head start. I was thinking of 2 cricketers, Jayasuriya and Smith, who both started their careers as bowlers and batted at 8 or 9 in the order. When given a chance up the order they both became world class batsmen. I am suggesting that Dodd use CG as the main aerial kick target next season and see how good he can be.

Because we had an excessive injuries to our key players this year does not mean that this will occur next year. Every team has injuries as we will too but that many for that long? The 2025 season is 7 months away. I am sure Junior and Arrow will be fit by then. I don't understand the point with Cam Murray? Cook and Tom will be missed but we have a few emerging young players that will be better after an offseason under WB.
We will never have common ground over Cody other than wait and see. I am a believer in desire and fitness over age.
Cam Graham lol

People believe in all sorts of stuff, doesn't make it real. But forget that, it's about planning and I hope and expect Wayne will not be as naive.

Most are of the opinion we were poorly prepared for the season. Get that right and see a better outcome re: injury list. Won’t ever be perfect, but can certainly be better.
For sure, I would expect even with the same idiots like JD in charge, regression to the mean would see less bad luck injuries like Juniors foot or whatever.

But how much can you price in to help us turn around when Junior is still struggling, Cam Graham is a very unknown quantity, Trell never plays more than 15 odd games and Arrow coming off major surgery? Add into our best young outside back has a bad history with his collarbone (and then got injured on Friday) and it can be set in stone.

Showing a lack of judgement, rooted in 'belief' over forward planning to have as good a team as possible on the field in 2026, after hopefully a very strong re build in 2025.

Old age is undefeated and Cody's gut tells me he isn't exactly the hardest trainer. Poor form would indicate that too.

Sure, I can buy we will be a lot better. But what was the last team that came from last or second last to win the comp? I'd say it was the Rorters? But they recruited prime SBW, plus a new coach.

So ideally we are really aiming for 2026. In 2025, back in the finals, good habits and go for it in 2026. And great, Cody played very well under Bennett. But that will be 5 years in the rear view at that point, he will be months from turning 37. I can't see how you can expect a small 5/8 at that age, to lead you to a premiership.
Context - 18 months ago we were top of the table, we are not a bottom placed roster. Most importantly WB will bring a whole of confidence into the team.

Showing a lack of judgement, rooted in 'belief' over forward planning to have as good a team as possible on the field in 2026, after hopefully a very strong re build in 2025.

Old age is undefeated and Cody's gut tells me he isn't exactly the hardest trainer. Poor form would indicate that too.
Yes one has to be realistic but it is a fine line between a positive view and a negative view. This has nothing to do with naive.

Context - 18 months ago we were top of the table, we are not a bottom placed roster. Most importantly WB will bring a whole of confidence into the team.
Agreed, the round 11 premiership banner hangs proudly next to JD's 'we front load our energy' poster.

I am really glad Wayne is coming.

That doesn't stop guys like Cody aging. It will be interesting to see what Wayne does. He will change this team, beyond just Aitkin and whoever ends up at hooker, I am sure of it.

I don't know why Cody's position is even in question. It's not like he is going from 34 to 65 years old in the space of one season. One of the certainties is that he is starting in the halves come 2025 and he has one year to go on his deal. The question about Cody should be more about 2026 not 2025.

Latest posts

Back