• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Latest Rumours

I'm with brownrabbit on this.

I don't need to worry about sources when the clear facts allow you to infer what is happening. The best young players in the game are coming through the Roosters, Panthers, Broncos, Storm and Bulldogs pathways. If anyone thinks that this has nothing to do with how much money these young players are being offered, accommodation subsidies and the money invested in coaching/mentorsip for these young players, they are kidding themselves.

The best run clubs have the best young players coming through their pathways. They get the chance to build connection with these players and are in the poll position to sign them, and manage the salary cap hurdle of having to replace top players when they can't be retained under the cap. It is the best way to stay on top - this is exactly what the most successful clubs of the last decade (Panthers, Roosters, Storm) have done and what the Bulldogs have had to do to join them.

Who cares if some of these younger players go to other clubs! A small price to pay to make sure you are always a contender.

What we have done in pathways is the epitome of mediocrity. At that level we have a culture that does not value winning - we just compete and hope that a few players make first grade. Fax that...when a young player puts on our jersey he ought to know that it represents a club that aims to win and be the best at every level they compete. This is what our competitors do, and why they will continue to leave us in their shadow.
Mate you sound like a parent who’s kid didn’t get selected or someone who missed out on a job at the club 😂🤣😂🤣

Seriously though what you have posted is on the money and the sad part is my source is someone employed by the club in junior pathways

To quote him ‘ we are filling most of our pathways spots with other clubs discards ‘.
Even some of our genuine juniors, who would be playing in our Flegg side have signed contracts with The Roosters as depth and are just playing park footy

When was the last time we signed some genuine talent from NZ?

All these QLD affiliations are just fluff. Sign a gun recruitment manager who has scouts everywhere and sign the best kids where it’s evident we have deficiencies

Starting with a right f$&ken winger and a couple of gun fullbacks so we can transition Trell

It’s not rocket surgery. It just takes effort and $$$ two things the club seem to be reluctant to apply of late

Even some of our genuine juniors, who would be playing in our Flegg side have signed contracts with The Roosters as depth and are just playing park footy
I know other people who are saying the same thing.

This is just so damaging to our reputation in the area. We come across as a club that just does not care about maximising the potential development of our young players.

Apparently, our club believes that a gun half can be properly developed if he is placed in a side with forwards who look about half the size of their opposition and are routinely dominated. It does wonders for your development to be part of sides that are routinely thrashed - it really helps you hone the skill to execute key plays in clutch moments.

You could argue that’s the NRL’s problem.

Personally I don’t understand why clubs are even involved with select players before 18.

The NRL should run junior competitions and bankroll elite talent contracts and development. Then institute a draft for senior clubs to take over at 18.

Clubs don’t have junior’s best interests at heart. They develop where they see merit, cast off where they have no need, uproot and relocate. It’s a poor system that doesn’t have the players at its centre.

The NRL should run junior competitions and bankroll elite talent contracts and development. Then institute a draft for senior clubs to take over at 18.

Now that makes sense.

It’s a far better system than soccer in this country. I can’t speak of AFL because I loathe the game

What should occur is that clubs with fewer than 1000 juniors should have to pay a transfer see when poaching talent

Work out the cost Souths Juniors have invested in a junior then apply it to a transfer fee, which gets reinvested

If the Roosters want to sign the Butcher boys for example after 12 years of our investment no worries

They come with a $30k transfer fee each

The incentive alignment is still off though, even with a transfer fee.

Clubs want to win, which requires talent. They aren’t in the business of making some cash on the side helping other clubs put together rosters.

And each club (regardless of their greatest possible yield) will always work to a point that suits them, not the game.

Junior footy is already handled by the junior clubs. Take elite development off the senior clubs, put together a leading talent development program that’s centralised with the NRL, and have a draft.

I know other people who are saying the same thing.

This is just so damaging to our reputation in the area. We come across as a club that just does not care about maximising the potential development of our young players.

Apparently, our club believes that a gun half can be properly developed if he is placed in a side with forwards who look about half the size of their opposition and are routinely dominated. It does wonders for your development to be part of sides that are routinely thrashed - it really helps you hone the skill to execute key plays in clutch moments.

At least they’ll know how to play off the back foot. :)

His deal is closer to $700k ..so with Knights tipping in $200k. $500k for him as a replacement for Tom would have been good.

I really hope Dolphins lose next couple games so Wayne can turn his focus on us and get our shit together on and off the field… if he is serious about reshaping our team to set us up to improve . We have missed a number of opportunities since it was announced he is returning as coach

Some may say just because we Havnt been connected to them in the media doesn’t mean we wernt interested but where is the proof?
Atleast other clubs who may go about their business without fanfare land their targets

I don’t think at this point much will change 2025 …maybe if we have better run with injuries can keep our best 17 in most weeks we may fight for 8th

Some may say just because we Havnt been connected to them in the media doesn’t mean we wernt interested but where is the proof?
Where is the proof that we did or didn’t chase a particular player? Can’t have it both ways

Like I said, there were a lot of players playing up in Flegg after the Ball season
You don’t have to produce a whole heap, I think if a few reach first grade that would be normal
Young Humphries the Ball Halfback is very promising
Jason Hallie just played a ton of Flegg in the front row
Darcy Feltham looks exceptional, only young & juggling union as well, not sure of his plans, hope plays Ball next year
Lochlin Moses, another youngen from Matts
There’s a few others, Paul Mellors nephew looked handy, might be Drew Williams who is playing on the wing in Flegg this week
Dane Towns looks handy too, I think he’s better as a winger than a fullback

welcome aboard TTHD. It’s good to get some feedback and views from someone who isn’t pushing their own barrow and has a clear understanding of what’s going on rather than a barrow being pushed to slag off the club’s recruitment based on hearsay, the Warren😆😆😆 or some sense of self importance

While I agree it would be nice to have an Amazon of junior talent on the books to pick through and grab at will, the question is, what’s wrong with the amount of young talent in the side currently? Duncan, Gray, Fletcher and Munro are legitimate top tier prospects. They were singled out before the season started on panel shows and podcasts as talent to watch out for. On top of that everyone likes Mellars and Le Blanc. Throw Moale in too.

That’s 7 genuine young talents in a squad of 36.

👏👏👏👏

The NRL should run junior competitions and bankroll elite talent contracts and development. Then institute a draft for senior clubs to take over at 18

Spot on and each club, as part of their grant that keeps them afloat (that they mostly piss up against the wall) should be allocated a regional area to support and nurture with strong draft /development guidelines

Last edited:
Where is the proof that we did or didn’t chase a particular player? Can’t have it both ways

Exactly.
All these demands that we sign absolutely everyone with a highlight reel are ridiculous . Rest assured, enquires are made but circumstance, other clubs benefits, salary cap, culture etc are all in play. It’s not as moronic lsimple as saying we never or we should’ve as if we didn’t 💡💡💡

Funny you’re applauding that.

According to you Munro,Mellars and Moale all offering nothing

So who’s flip flopping?

😆😆😆😆welcome aboard 😆😆😆😆

flip flop
I’m not wetting myself over Hunt like you champ.

Would of much preferred Stefano ( who you don’t rate, but it seems Bellamy does ) or RCG

Just got to hope Bennett can get the best out of Hunt otherwise on current form he will be a dud.

Much like 99% of your posts

Latest posts

Back