• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Has vocal support dropped off?

fair point yobbo.

I wonder if the Club thinks about these things or if it’s something in the ‘too hard basket’ and it’s just a thought from fans?

Jez does a good job with what he’s got to work with.

My kids are 5 & 6 and will only take them to day/ evening games. They’ve went to 3 this year. I’ve went to a few more but still haven’t used my season ticket every game sadly. I honestly think people find it easier/ more comfortable Watching from home/pubs. Games don’t feel like events- but all sports I feel are in a similar phase too. Sadly I’m not sure if a solution- some roofed stadiums might be nice

For me, it’s just not the same watching it at home. I love going to the games and will continue to go to as many as possible.

Meet up with the usual crew for a beer or two beforehand. Yarn about our chances for winning the game. Roll into the stadium in time for the teams running out onto the field. Scream like an idiot so I can’t speak properly the next day and often leave the ground with a headache because I’ve nearly given myself an aneurism….. I just love it.

Up the Rabbitohs!!!

It's not just NRL, or sport at large. Been to a concert lately? Everyone is just on their phones.

Could probably write a thesis on societal disengagement at present.

Still, there is plenty that could be done. The match day "experience" for your average NRL match is very, very boring.
Agreed- it’s an interesting topic that got mroe fascinating in the post Covid universe.

That’s it. It’s the experience of it. There is absolutely no atmosphere.

I mean this with absolutely no offence, but Kempy isn’t the target for improving the match day experience. A guy who has attended close to 100% of matches home and away over the past 20+ years isn’t the guy they need to swing.

Reactions: VIP
fair point yobbo.

I wonder if the Club thinks about these things or if it’s something in the ‘too hard basket’ and it’s just a thought from fans?

Jez does a good job with what he’s got to work with.
As I said, the club thought about these things but needed to cut costs. And as I said, I think the NRL should be assisting with allocation for boosting game day experience.

That’s it. It’s the experience of it. There is absolutely no atmosphere.

I mean this with absolutely no offence, but Kempy isn’t the target for improving the match day experience. A guy who has attended close to 100% of matches home and away over the past 20+ years isn’t the guy they need to swing.
I know I’m not the target. But at the end of the day it’s the atmosphere of the game that will get people there and keep them there.

I just don’t see (with funds available) what kind of entertainment will get people coming back?

I know I’m not the target. But at the end of the day it’s the atmosphere of the game that will get people there and keep them there.

I just don’t see (with funds available) what kind of entertainment will get people coming back?
You keep using the term entertainment and I think that’s probably part of the issue. You’re thinking throw a C-grade band up there at half time - who cares? And I’d agree with you.

The experience is about how you feel walking the concourse, outside the gates, when you find your seat what’s the vibe like, before kick off and the teams run out, what happens to help bring the hairs on your arms to attention, what’s the lighting like? How do we welcome the opposition? Are there fan engagement opportunities during any down time in the games? What do they do there to make you feel like you’re at an event that not only feels cool but adds value to the event you’ve paid money to go and see.

You say let the football be the thing to get people there and keep people there. But It’s not. There is less focus on creating a better experience for the people paying more than ever.

My theory is there will be a game of football on. That’s certain. That’s always been the way. 80 minutes of football will play out. But we’re asking for $50 per casual seat where we used to ask for $20. We’re saying spend $500 on season tickets when we used to say spend $200. You’ve still got 80 minutes of football to keep your enjoyment going.

That’s rubbish. It’s a saturated market so if you’re going to ask people to pay substantially more but not improve their experience they will and should look elsewhere. (and don’t say the team are improving the experience through better football. We’re 7th today and we were 7th in 2007)

The Match Day experience has little to do with entertainment but may overlap if they decide they want to boost it every now and then with a special (and relevant) injection of pop culture but that’s not what the experience is. Bankwest attempt it through their lighting and stadium technology; Dogs attempt it with their weird bulldog tunnel entrance; Canberra attempt it with the Viking Clap.

Maybe they aren’t working, maybe they are. That’s up to their fans to decide - but they’re trying things. There are so many ways to at least attempt to lift the experience of showing up in the middle of winter to a half empty stadium and pay for it when the other options; pub, home all offer their own pretty great experience these days and the football is still there on the screen served up on a platter.

I know it’s been done to death, but would it help having the Flegg etc play beforehand?

I only get to one game each year. That involves driving 1 1/2 hours to airport, fly to Sydney, taxis, motels, food, spending money etc.
It’s one of the highlights each year.
I can’t imagine going every week and out laying all that hard earned, for only one game.
I’m so grateful to the loyal fans who make such an effort.

People = Atmosphere = Spectacle = Return Customers > Repeat

Lowest hanging fruit for the NRL, the live experience is over priced. We’ve been saying to for years. If you aren’t sitting between the 30 metre lines, a ticket should be comparable to a movie (circa $20).

The NRL need to accept that the televised game is free, and a better way to consume their product (short of if it’s a packed ground and you have a vantage point).

Unfortunately they don’t actually care, as I think they know it’s a better TV Sport, and that that is what pays the bills.

So wins in scheduling will never occur. Crowds will stay small ensuring venues need to overcharge for a non competitive experience. And people will stay away (bar the rusted-ons).

And it will only get worse. Would you say there are more folks over 40 than under 40 at home games?

5 of our 8 home games this season have drawn less than 15k.

The Roosters, Central Coast and Good Friday games have been our only saving graces.

Last edited:
That’s rubbish. It’s a saturated market so if you’re going to ask people to pay substantially more but not improve their experience they will and should look elsewhere. (and don’t say the team are improving the experience through better football. We’re 7th today and we were 7th in 2007)
Quite a poor example using 2007 when we hadn’t made the finals series in almost 20 years to now where we have played in 7 preliminary finals, 2 grand finals (winning one) and 8 finals series. Of course there was going to be more interest back then.

You make a good point about ticket prices. Maybe if they wanted more people at the games they would drop the price. I look at the comments each year about the Grand Final. No matter who’s on people complain.

Over the years they have had the crowd interactions. It just hasn’t worked.

As I have mentioned the best thing to me has been the juniors playing on the field. It probably gets the best crowd reaction.

In the main stadiums (like the one we reside), kids for free is an absolute no brainer. They’ll eat, their parents will pay, it changes attendance culture over time.

Then you do stuff like Women In League round, women should get in for free/cheap subject to capacity (GA only).

Retro round throw ticket prices back to 1980 and give everyone one a retro themed collectable match-day program.

Have some fun with it.

If you ever get to the point where you’re filling stadiums, then look at increasing admission cost.

The event tie-in works too. Good Friday is proof of that. Scheduling over time, linked to an event or day, creates habitual behaviour.

Oh! And put a bloody roof on the stadium and improve the quality of the dirt food you’re serving. If Gold Class at the cinema can polish a turd food menu and get people excited, then a venue that is a large portion food and bev should be able to.

Eating is 80% of the match day experience in the MLB over in the States.

Last edited:
Quite a poor example using 2007 when we hadn’t made the finals series in almost 20 years to now where we have played in 7 preliminary finals, 2 grand finals (winning one) and 8 finals series. Of course there was going to be more interest back then.

You make a good point about ticket prices. Maybe if they wanted more people at the games they would drop the price. I look at the comments each year about the Grand Final. No matter who’s on people complain.

Over the years they have had the crowd interactions. It just hasn’t worked.

As I have mentioned the best thing to me has been the juniors playing on the field. It probably gets the best crowd reaction.
Re 2007 I’m more saying that if people are using success as a reason to increase crowds we’re currently not that much more successful (if you’re looking at a very very small picture) this season than season 2007. We’re 7th. We’re not peak 2013-14 at the moment. We’ve been a dominant force for a decade though and our crowds still suck.

As pplspoet refers to above, as long as crowds are small they’ll charge overs. I agree it’s crazy over the top but they’re not going to change it for the good of the game. It’s like asking a politician to think beyond their own tenure - it just doesn’t happen anymore.

I am happy with the experience of watching our games on TV. It’s comfortable, free and convenient. I just don’t care enough to go and sit in the cold to get a worse view. So there’s no way I’m paying for that. Especially in todays economic climate. The only games I’ll consider going to are marquee games, rivalry games or finals. The experience is better being there than watching on TV.

Until the regular experience of watching the game live changes, neither will my preference and that doesn’t matter if we are top of the table or competing for a spot in the 8.

They won’t lower prices, I can’t see them making the brand of footy much better than it is now (if anything the constant meddling with bunker etc has made it a worse live experience) so what else do they have other than considering how they present their product?

To be honest the match entertainment means nothing to me. I’m not sure about others. The best form of entertainment for me is junior kids matches.

With most of our games being Thursday or Friday nights in recent years many people are struggling to get there for kick off. So often you see a late rush in for games.

Plenty of people I know do go to the pub before the game and come in about 15 minutes before kick off.
Agree on the kids. My issue is the 1 hour gap before the main game where almost nothing happens. Send the kids out then or play the lead-in game later. Something.

Latest posts

Back