• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Dave Furner

Mate, there have been lots of posts here calling for Sam to come back as head coach. Stupidity.

On that, we 100% agree, totally not ready and he needs a few years displaying some results before anyone takes the punt on him I reckon too
Yeah...but if the leadership of the club is listening to a bunch of numpties on a forum God help us!

(and yes I include myself in the list of numpties).

Sam should 100% see out his current contract in ESL. Then maybe we can talk. He’s very close to a lot of the players in this squad (I.e played with them), that is always an added layer of difficulty and maturity required.

The longer Sam stays away, the better chance he’ll have when he gets a shot.

Sam celebrated Mad Monday as a player with Johnston, Graham, Walker, Cook, Murray, and Tatola, etc.

As a few of those guys move on, Sam as a coach makes more sense.

Every year of JD’s reign has been worse than the year before! Period.
100% it has, totally agreed.

The context of my comment was how Sam looks in his first couple of months coaching.
JD looked like a world beater in the same period too is all the comment was about.

Before looking further afield I’d like to think Souths are exploring the possibility of either getting Wayne back or even more left field pulling out all stops to entice Craig Bellamy. Last we heard he was weighing up extending with the Storm or retiring. His ‘never say never’ answer to the question of an approach from Souths has stuck in my mind. I can see it being at least worthy of consideration from his point of view….would the attraction of a possible premiership campaign with a new club be appealing. Our roster is definitely not a write off nor are we a rebuild proposition. For the record Craig Bellamy is 10 years younger than Wayne.

Furner is likely here to support Hornby as caretaker more than anything.

Who was Head Coach when Furner was our assistant?

I can't recall.

Wasn't there talk of him becoming next head coach but an English team signed him back then?

I thought it was Seibold as well, Furner definitely had our attack buzzing in 2018
I'm the last person to be adamant on something I write/say...I'm wrong a lot of the time.

My recollection is that when they were looking to move on Maguire, Furner was a front runner but took a job as the Head Coach for an ESL club (no idea who).

And they gave the job to Seibold, and the rest is history.

But I could be 100% wrong too (and I could also google it, but I think that ruins the fun).

I thought it was Seibold as well, Furner definitely had our attack buzzing in 2018
That’s correct. Furner was here in 2017-18. Under both Madge and Seibold.

Back