• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Damien Cook

Up to about 1990 and roughly 750 players only 33 had played more than 100 games. I suppose due to most of them having a secular job. Only a couple had 200 by 1990, Eric Simms and Bob McCarthy. After them you had a gap until Craig Coleman.
I think it relates more to the lesser number of games in a season. Melbourne came in during the period of 20 team comps that got culled to 14 then back up to 17; plus their rorting their way into end of season games while we were less successful.

It boggles my mind that Cook is only the 10th player to have played 200 games for this club.

I mean Melbourne already have 9 players and they're 90 years younger than us!
I think you’re looking at it the wrong way. Look prior to when we were kicked out and see how many played over 200 games at that point.

It didn’t help in the period we probably should have had a couple more with the likes of Mario and Les Davidson getting that feat. But we know what happened there.

Guys like Tricky, Wing would have also got there had we not been kicked out.

Luke Stuart’s injury in his final year cost him. Of course we got him a few years into his career.

Being kicked out ultimately meant that we had to start again. Even our early years saw plenty of change.

If you compare since the Storm came into the competition and us coming back into the competition it isn’t that bad. Remembering they have 3 years on us.

Since then we have had Sutton, Merritt, Reynolds, Tom Burgess, Cody Walker and Damien Cook. You would think the likes of Cam Murray, Keaon and Campbell won’t be too far off reaching that mark either.

The other problem was that any player that was decent was often poached by other clubs in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. We couldnt afford the money others offered and our squad chopped and changed so often in that period.

We have come so far...

The other problem was that any player that was decent was often poached by other clubs in the 80s, 90s and early 2000s. We couldnt afford the money others offered and our squad chopped and changed so often in that period.

We have come so far...
But lost some of that ground in the past year 😢

Up to about 1990 and roughly 750 players only 33 had played more than 100 games. I suppose due to most of them having a secular job. Only a couple had 200 by 1990, Eric Simms and Bob McCarthy. After them you had a gap until Craig Coleman.
I know that Souths is a religion to us all Bruster, but that’s taking it a bit too far methinks! 🤣

Damien has certainly been an excellent servant for the club.

Arrived with 9 games first grade experience at 24 years of age.

Goes on to play his 207th game this week.

8th all time (between Simms and Coleman).

4 Australian caps.

17 Origins for NSW. To put that into perspective, Lazarus, O’Connor and Elias sit in =13th all time just ahead of him with 19 appearances.

5 Preliminary Final appearances.

1 Grand Final appearance.

It was a great innings from Damien. Certainly an all time great of the club, if a rung below those that tasted Premiership success.

Last edited:
The squad is still a good squad, we just went backwards under JD and Bennett coming in will right the ship and turn us back into a premiership force.
Not Bennett alone, we need a whole new medical team.

Both he and Burgess should lead the boys out Friday night
They will mate I’ll be giving them an enormous standing ovation not sure I’ll hold my emotions in check I’ll be quite emotional

Interesting video
It’d be good to see him back in a high performance role working at the club
It’s interesting that he said Souths might bring him back for a year, not sure if it was a slip or not, he wouldn’t get a top 30 spot but would be a great mentor playing reserves & helping out with high performance at the same time perhaps
Who knows, could happen

Latest posts

Back