• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Cody & Trell racially vilified during Dragons game

Not the first time mate with Dragons fans. Happened some years ago when Dad and I were at Accor and happened back in 2010 when I was at Kogarah I was only 16 I went myself and we were playing for a spot in the 8 and of course we lost and Dragons won minor premiership but Chris Sandow and Rhys Wesser Dragons fans around me were ratially abusing them. The other instance when I was with Dad I was still in high school and a man behind was teaching his son racist slanders to Souths players Dad turned around and said shut the **** up and bring your son up with morals otherwise I’ll get security to kick you out the imbecile was dead quiet after that! We won 41-6 as well.

Ah Dragons fans I’ve never been keen. They wouldn’t be in my top 3 most hated I don’t think but defs in my top 5.
I'm sure that's the case, but at this stage we don't even know if it was a Dragons or Souths supporter do we? Plenty of our own fans seem to detest Mitchell and to a lesser extent are pissed off at Cody. There's good and bad fans at all clubs.

I'm sure that's the case, but at this stage we don't even know if it was a Dragons or Souths supporter do we? Plenty of our own fans seem to detest Mitchell and to a lesser extent are pissed off at Cody. There's good and bad fans at all clubs.
Very True. Racism does not wear a colour.
It could definitely be one of ours.

It has to be distinguished between whether it was abuse or racial abuse. Some people get confused between the two.

It's a pretty easy distinction. Abuse that involves references to race is racial abuse. Disgusting it's still happening.

Oh great, it’s as bad as your imagination could dream up.

———-Tele————

Opinion: I heard the disgusting racial abuse hurled at Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker​

The horrid racial tirade directed at Latrell Mitchell and the pile-on from nearby spectators left fans feeling unsafe in scenes that should never be repeated.

@Tyson_Jackson15

It was pouring rain as I stood on the hill at suburban Kogarah alongside three mates on Saturday night, in the hope of enjoying some footy.

But from the minute South Sydney players ran out onto the field to take on St George Illawarra, it was obvious some fans had sinister intentions.

In a situation both NSW Police and the NRL are now investigating, fans from both teams started an onslaught of racial comments directed at Indigenous stars Latrell Mitchell and Cody Walker.

Before a ball had even been kicked, one of the first remarks was so disgustingly derogatory, this masthead has elected not to publish it.

What was more shocking was that it prompted raucous laughter and cheers from a group of so-called fans who were surrounding the man who made it.

To make matters worse, standing beside me was one of my mates, a proud Indigenous man. We looked at him, trying to gauge how uncomfortable he was made to feel in the situation.

He was instantly upset.

He was heavily intimidated by the number of people around us who were joining in on the racist ‘jokes’.

And rightfully so.

Looking back to see where these comments were coming, we were stunned as we saw fans wearing Rabbitohs jerseys and scarfs, joining in on the abuse hurled towards their own players from some Dragons supporters.

As the game progressed, more racial slurs poured from the mouths of spectators on the hill.

We had a discussion between our group about whether we would respond to the abuse the players were copping.

My mate, who was already visibly upset, told us not to bother.

“It won’t be good for us,” he said.

My friend is an avid fan of rugby league, and it really hit home when he told me he did not feel safe standing there on the hill as people disrespected his culture and heritage.

How could people say things so abhorrent in public, let alone even think that way, in 2024?

Despite that, he insisted we push through the first half, as we had good spots on the hill, and he was hopeful the racial slurs would stop.

But they didn’t.

When Ben Hunt put up a towering bomb, someone yelled, as we waited for the ball to come down: “Hit the a... c...”

When Mitchell made a tackle, another man shouted: “Get off him, ya filthy c...”

Latrell Mitchell was the target of vile racist abuse. Picture: NRL Photos

The onslaught continued to the point where we opted to get off the hill for the second half.

My friend, though, had heard enough and headed for the exit. Two of our mates joined him.

By all reports, the racist slurs from the hill somehow got worse in the second half as the Dragons got the better of the Rabbitohs.

There will be fans that come after me saying things like “it was only a small section of fans”, “you shouldn't have sat there” or “if he can’t take, it don’t come,” but that is completely the wrong response.

Heckling can be a fun part of the game, both on and off the field. But when it comes to racism, the line is very clearly drawn. There needs to be zero tolerance.

Souths fans are rightfully upset their team is running last. But nothing justifies what players and supporters were subjected to on Saturday night.

It is not lighthearted banter or a bit of fun with mates.

It affects the players mentally.

It affects supporters watching from the sideline, who are there to see a good game of footy.

It also affects young Indigenous kids, desperate to emulate their heroes and one day take the field themselves.

For 80 minutes on Saturday night, a section of supporters, allegedly there to cheer on their own team, threw human decency out the window.

Disgraceful that people think this how you should behave at a footy game. Embarrassed and ashamed our own supporters were included in this shit

Disgraceful that people think this how you should behave at a footy game. Embarrassed and ashamed our own supporters were included in this shit
At a footy game? In general, that behavior is abhorrent.

Back