• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Charity Shield: Rabbitohs v Dragons

RabbitJ

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With the Charity Shield set to kick off on Saturday, 17 February 2024, I thought I may as well start the game thread.

It's never too early for a game thread is it?

Onya BT. I tried the other day but couldn't get any. Just tried again and it worked so lets thank the thread starter!

Reminder: Today is the last day to get your free season ticket holder GA pass to the Charity Shield.

Password: SurnameXXXX [where XXXX is your member number]

Reminder: Today is the last day to get your free season ticket holder GA pass to the Charity Shield.

Password: SurnameXXXX [where XXXX is your member number]
Thanks for the reminder -Didn't see this until today - ah well - and I didn't receive any emails from the club - poor form from the club - I got merchandise updates and AGM notice so?

Last edited:
Well, we've got our trial for the trials out of the way and now it's time to focus on the real start to the Footy Season. The official, unofficial start to the year as we take on our old rivals the Dragons in the annual Charity Shield. This is always the first game we look forward to as it might just be a trial at the end of the day, but it's still extremely important. I still see it as more than just a trial. I say it's more than a trial match because in this one, the result matters. There's a piece of silverware on the line and this game means a lot to both clubs so the stakes are a lot higher. We want to set out to win that shield again in 2024. We had a really good run of it, winning nine straight before the Dragons got one back in 2022. Thankfully, last year we got it back and will be looking to retain it again. This will be the 41st Charity Shield and it has become quite the event between us and our old mates in the Red V.

I guess we don't fully know what to expect and what kind of game it's going to be until the teams drop but I think both clubs will go as full strength as they possibly can. We certainly should be as this will be the only hit out the boys get before they head off to Las Vegas. We'll be missing a few though, no Trell, Cody, Jackie, Shaq or Stretch obviously but I expect everyone else to play. Missing those guys is going to make it pretty tough and I really do think this could be one of the most hotly contested Charity Shields we've seen in a long time.

Hard to know what to make of the Dragons this year to be honest. It's especially hard to know what to make of them at this time of year in the trial period. Many are predicting them to crash and burn, but I personally don't think they will. If they can get it together, they're a pretty dangerous outfit. We need to be ready for that on Saturday.

Looking forward to a good hit out and although we'll be missing a few of our stars, this will give us a closer indication of where we're at.

Ughhhh I can't wait!!

Glory, Glory.

I would’ve gone but am flying out early the next morning to QLD so need to get ready for that. I’ll be watching though for sure whilst getting ready at home.

No Trell, Wighton, J. Gagai so I’ll be keen who plays FB will it be Burns or potentially CJ Mundine? I prefer us to leave AJ on the wing I think.

Forward pack should be strong but backline very weakened as we know.

Anyway I always see the Charity Shield as like the start to the season should be good even though we are understrength.

Potential line up….. something tells me I. Thompson probs won’t play either…..

CJ Mundine
AJ
Burns
Kennar
Milne
Hawkins
Ilias
Tatola
Cook
Keppie
Arrow
Keaon
Murray

Havili
Tom
Duncan
Moale
D. Teaupa
Mamozelos
Host
Chee Kam
Fletcher
J. Gray
Te Hau

I think something similar to this is very likely. That backline yikes but what can we do without Trell, Wighton, Campbell, Tass, J. Gagai, Munro, Mellars and Cody.

I am hoping though that Tassy and Gagai have withdrawn from All Stars to play for us. Very unselfish if they have. Jacob would play FB and Tassy would slot into right centre with Burns dropping back to the bench.

Is Jacob on a development contract does anyone know? Or is he still on a Cup contract only?

I am hoping though that Tassy and Gagai have withdrawn from All Stars to play for us. Very unselfish if they have. Jacob would play FB and Tassy would slot into right centre with Burns dropping back to the bench.

Is Jacob on a development contract does anyone know? Or is he still on a Cup contract only?
Gagai is dev.

I'll watch it and enjoy it, but it's still just a trial and means nothing.

Back