• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Charity Shield: Rabbitohs v Dragons

FITTER, FASTER BUNNIES

It must have been a brutal off-season for Rabbitohs coach Jason Demetriou as he stewed on how his side inexplicably missed finals last year.

But Demetriou was all smiles on Saturday night as his men returned to winning ways with a comfortable 28-6 victory over the Dragons in the Charity Shield.

Souths were without starters Latrell Mitchell, Cody Walker, Damien Cook, Campbell Graham, Dane Gagai and Jack Wighton, but they still easily got the job done.

Demetriou revealed at full-time he believes he’s fixed one of the areas his men were lacking at the back end of 2023.

“We’re feeling fit this year and that’s probably something we lacked last year, just keeping them on the field and getting them fit,” Demetriou told Fox League.

“Obviously the World Cup had an impact on that (last year) but they’ve had a great pre-season and they’re fit and hungry.”

Demetriou was particularly impressed with his forwards and the performance of Sea Eagles recruit Sean Keppie.

“He was a player I was really keen to get to the club and fortunately for us it worked out, he’s 25 and has his best footy ahead of him, I don’t think he’s anywhere near the ceiling in terms of his potential,” Demetriou said.

“But we saw tonight he’s going to be a player for us, the rotation with him and Junior Tatola up front I thought was excellent.”

Mitchell has a mortgage on the Rabbitohs No. 1 jersey but with Blake Taaffee leaving for the Bulldogs, a strong back-up option emerged on Saturday night in young gun Jye Gray.

“Jye has been with us for a few years, he struggled with a few injuries in pre-season last year but he’s had a great pre-season this year,” Demetriou said.

“I love what he brings, he’s a little man and I was fortunate to play with a little man over in England, Rob Burrow, and he was one of the best competitors I ever played with and Jai really reminds me of him.

“He’s fast and hard to handle but he’s aggressive and tough as well. I’m looking forward to how he grows over the next 12 months.”

Back