• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Charity Shield: Rabbitohs v Dragons

If you're going to pair Hawkins and Ilias, surely Hawkins plays first receiver. Hawkins was lost at 6 last year and Ilias' physicality is more suited to 6 (between the two of them).
We said the same thing before last year's Dragons game. That game didn't go so well (for most of it).

Yeah, interesting one.

I get the impression they don’t actually see him as a 1, but he is behind Walker, Ilias, Hawkins and Teaupu right now, and there are only 4 halves spots at NRL and Reggies level - so they develop his game at fullback?

A bonus that we don’t have another bloke that’s an obvious fit for the fullback spot in Reggies.

With Cody a possible non starter, he’s not be spot closer to getting a run in the halves.

Really depends who else gets named. Will Johnston play? He should probably spend some time there.
Not a bad idea to get some time at fullback . It's really helpful on learning how to read the play so should be good for his development. Is he bigger than Taaffe ? The major worry is if he like Taaffe gets steamrolled and driven back as Taaffe invariably was back there.

If you're going to pair Hawkins and Ilias, surely Hawkins plays first receiver. Hawkins was lost at 6 last year and Ilias' physicality is more suited to 6 (between the two of them).

I dint get that all.

The halfback elect plays halfback and the fill-in for Cody does what he is told to do.

That's interesting. I know there are raps on him, but there's also a lot of commentary around his size. You reckon he's Slater size, or smaller?
He’s shorter than Slater, but he is very stocky. Apparently in the opposed sessions he has been coping a bit of rough treatment from both Cody and Latrell and was able to get up.
I get the impression they don’t actually see him as a 1, but he is behind Walker, Ilias, Hawkins and Teaupu right now, and there are only 4 halves spots at NRL and Reggies level - so they develop his game at fullback?
I’m not sure he will be so far down the pecking order for too long.
I would have thought he gets the second half as halfback/five-eight. Doubt we play our big names for a full game, especially when everyone keeps getting injured
More than likely. But was told he had been playing a bit of fullback in the opposed sessions. One to keep an eye out for.

Not a bad idea to get some time at fullback . It's really helpful on learning how to read the play so should be good for his development. Is he bigger than Taaffe ? The major worry is if he like Taaffe gets steamrolled and driven back as Taaffe invariably was back there.
I believe Taaffe is about 9cm taller. Gray is very small. Can't see him as a fullback. They will need a strategy to support him in defence if he plays in the halves.

I hope he goes well, and we have seen some great little guys, but it is tough playing at that size.

Not entirely sure you are being serious with the suggestion that our coach should pick Ilias at 6 in our last trial before the proper season without creating outside noise that, especially after last season, we could not even come close to dealing with.

So Hawkins has been named at 6. Possibly one of the worst 5/8's I've ever seen based on his last start there for us. Illias on the other hand could quite easily handle that position. I hope they change it up between both of them in this trial. What about Peter M could he handle a halves position?

So Hawkins has been named at 6. Possibly one of the worst 5/8's I've ever seen based on his last start there for us. Illias on the other hand could quite easily handle that position. I hope they change it up in this trial. What about Peter M could he handle a halves position?

Am I in ****ing fantasy land here?

1. Jacob Gagai
  2. Alex Johnston
  3. Isaiah Tass
  4. Richie Kennar
  5. Taane Milne
  6. Dean Hawkins
  7. Lachlan Ilias
  8. Junior Tatola
  9. Peter Mamouzelos
  10. Sean Keppie
  11. Keaon Koloamatangi
  12. Jai Arrow
  13. Cameron Murray (c)
Interchange:
  1. Jye Gray
  2. Jacob Host
  3. Davvy Moale
  4. Thomas Burgess
  5. Tallis Duncan
  6. Michael Chee Kam
  7. Thomas Fletcher
  8. Leon Te Hau
  9. Braidon Burns
  10. Dion Teaupa
Go Gags2!
A few guys with something to play for. Peter Mamouzelos has a chance to push for a bench spot. A very strong forward pack named.

The backs however. Add Latrell and Cody in and it looks somewhat better for round one. Still very weak though, but we already knew that.

Will be interesting to see how Thomas Fletcher goes. To see the difference from last year. Coming back from a long term injury as well.

I would like to see Leon Te Hau get a bit of game time and in space. He showed a bit of pace on the weekend when he was chasing down the runaway intercept try. Won’t be an option for round 1, but always good to see how these youngsters go against stronger opposition.

I would have liked to see Deon play 6 with both Ilias and Hawkins at different times. I think having him at 6 would be a better dynamic than Hawkins and Ilias. Although if that’s the way they are going to go for round 1 if Cody’s out then I guess that’s what they need to do.

Back