• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Caleb Clarke's honorary Training Sesh with South Sydney

Except we don’t even know if Clarke is going to be available and if Aj keeps blowing sitters like he did last week, his retirement might come quicker than expected
True we don't know either way re Clarke but I can't see AJ going anywhere until his contract is finished.

Sitters? From where I was sitting at the game at no time did I ever think that was a guaranteed try.
Yep. The only reason he went for that first half one is because Fermor was standing on the wing. Any other player there and he likely doesn’t go for the corner. He rolled the dice with Fermor and Fermor made a good defensive play.

People really expecting we are going to sign him for the rest of the season?

Or at all?

I’d like to see Clarke signed but I don’t mind a backline of Gray, Johnston, Wighton, Mitchell and Graham. 🤷‍♂️

I’d like to see Clarke signed but I don’t mind a backline of Gray, Johnston, Wighton, Mitchell and Graham. 🤷‍♂️
On paper it looks good. And I have no issue with Graham as a winger if we had a centre.

But I think you’ve got too much of our skill 3-4 passes from the ruck? Realistically.

Love Gray. Hope he has a big future in the game.

He shouldn’t keep Mitchell out of the spine in the near term though (short of some major development).

Mitchell is a genuine league leader. Gray is a prospect with 3 NRL games experience.

If we get to a point where one of Wighton or Mitchell is in the centres, and Gray has beaten Dodd to a jersey (of Mitchell, Walker, and Wighton, Dodd seems the most vulnerable), then great.

If one of Mitchell, Wighton or Walker are injured, no doubt Gray is a great prospect to plug in and nurture somewhere.

And by finals next year, I guess anything is possible.

But setting up the squad and figuring out what spots we need to fill for next year, I can’t see Bennett having Wighton and Latrell in the centres as part of his planning.

Ditto pencilling in Gray (at this stage) as the starting 1 so you don’t need to recruit a quality winger.

If we did sign Clarke, I would prefer

Gray. ( or Munro)
AJ and Clarke
Wighton ( or Mitchell )and Graham
Mitchell ( wighton) and Walker

Gray (14)

People really expecting we are going to sign him for the rest of the season?

Or at all?
It does seem possible. Timing wise the Super rugby season is in the final 2 weeks and from what we know he’s not contracted to the Blues beyond this season. Someone mentioned that the All Blacks squad for England is announced immediately after the SR final…..I think we’ll know what his plans are at that time, in a recent interview he didn’t seem keen to talk about his possible AB selection .
That question should be answered a week before NRL clubs have to finalise their top 30 for the current season.

Last edited:
Except he’s a left ball carry, right fend.

Also steps off his left foot which makes him a left sided winger
Good point. I missed that. His effectiveness in attack may not be as potent as it would be on the left. Even so, while AJ is on the left he would be massive on the right. We would have speed to take advantage of an overlap or line break, an Ariel target for the halves to kick to and the potential to catch an opposing player if they break our right side defence. These are 3 things that we presently don't have on our right. While I see your point, if Caleb Clarke signed this morning, I would have him on the right wing for tonight's game.

He’s definitely a left side winger but he has a bit of a roving commission for his club particularly on set plays. He’s played left centre on occasion this season. He’s a massive aerial target on that left wing and has the dexterity to jump for high balls at speed, one try he scored a few weeks back was really spectacular catching the ball at full flight and managing to ground it about 1cm from the dead ball line.

Back