• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Best player not to be an immortal?

rabs1

Grand Master
Reaction score
Mine is Brett Kenny I still don’t understand why his record in big game at 6 speaks for itself

Kenny holds the record feat of being the only player to have scored two tries in three (consecutive) grand finals, from 1981 to 1983.

Plus Kenny against Lewis at 6 is 8-4 in Kenny’s favour

Last edited:
No brainer - Ron Coote

Immortal both on and off the field.

Period.

(Then consider others..)

Actually, regular Pridesters know I detest the Immortals concept because it’s so flawed.
Where do I start!

I would start ICONS of Rugby League and “Solid” would be my first pick.

Last edited:
No brainer - Ron Coote

Immortal both on and off the field.

Period.

(Then consider others..)

Actually, regular Pridesters know I detest the Immortals concept because it’s so flawed.
Where do I start!

I would start ICONS of Rugby League and “Solid” would be 🥇
I can’t argue sith that one👍

Bradley Clyde should already be there. In his prime the ultimate Rugby League player in my opinion. He was a recipient of best international player and Clive Churchill Medal winner twice. Something Wally Lewis could never achieve. He was also named as one of the greatest Origin players NSW has produced . Ultimate lock forward from the 90's. He also knocked back a massive offer to join the Roosters . That alone should give him Immortal status and for mine puts him just ahead of Coote. Out of all our players that the scum took Ron Coote was the one that hurt the most. :giggle:

Last edited:
Bradley Clyde should already be there. In his prime the ultimate Rugby League player in my opinion. He was a recipient of best international player and Clive Churchill Medal winner twice. Something Wally Lewis could never achieve. He was also named as one of the greatest Origin players NSW has produced . Ultimate lock forward from the 90's. He also knocked back a massive offer to join the Roosters . That alone should give him Immortal status and for mine puts him just ahead of Coote. Out of all our players that the scum took Ron Coote was the one that hurt the most. :giggle:
Bradley Clyde definitely was all class so was most of that Canberra side meninga Stuart and Mullins

Brad Clyde, in my opinion, as great a player as he was, is not quite immortal status. Hall of fame? yes absolutely! but not immortal.

Having said that, I feel the same about Mal Meninga and he was inducted. Actually there are a few of them in there I wouldn’t personally have down as immortals.

From recent times, I think we can expect to see Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, and Greg Inglis inducted as immortals. Johnathon Thurston possibly as well.

Brad Clyde, in my opinion, as great a player as he was, is not quite immortal status. Hall of fame? yes absolutely! but not immortal.

Having said that, I feel the same about Mal Meninga and he was inducted. Actually there are a few of them in there I wouldn’t personally have down as immortals.

From recent times, I think we can expect to see Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, and Greg Inglis inducted as immortals. Johnathon Thurston possibly as well

From recent times, I think we can expect to see Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, and Greg Inglis inducted as immortals. Johnathon Thurston possibly as well.
I agree but before those guys Brett Kenny was so great at 6 in big games much like John’s in big games..my mind boggles as to why he isn’t there,is it bias or something ?I believe rabbitoh Leigh has a point something flawed with the concept..as for Ron Coote he is another that should of been made an immortal before Lewis

Last edited:
I suppose I'm only going off what I've seen and in their prime,apart from Joey Johns, B.Clyde along with G.I are the two best I've seen. I was to young to have a great memory of Coote and Macca even though I did see them play. A good bar room chat subject this one and it's a discussion I've had quite a few times with mates. Each of us came up with different opinions and that's fair enough.

Last edited:
Did Phil Blake do enough to get a mention or was it just the odd miracle try that had me think of his name.

Here is the list of who's currently in the Hall of Fame.

Brad Clyde for me...

I suppose I'm only going off what I've seen and in their prime,apart from Joey Johns, B.Clyde along with G.I are the two best I've seen. I was to young to have a great memory of Coote and Macca even though I did see them play. A good bar room chat subject this one and it's a discussion I've had quite a few times with mates. Each of us came up with different opinions and that's fair enough.
If Bobby Macca isn't there he should be.

Totally changed the role of a back rower.

What are the criteria?

For me it should be for players who impacted the game itself and changed the way a position or the game is played.

That's why I wouldn't have Kenny there, good player but didn't change the game or the role of a 5/8.

GI is Immortal material.

Yes I agree ,but if you put Macca and Gary Stevens in the one body you probably get a pretty good resemblance to Bradley Clyde from my observation and stories I've been told. I'd have them both in there.
If Bobby Macca isn't there he should be.

Totally changed the role of a back rower.

Back