• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Ben Hornby

Kempy

Staff member
Reaction score
I was looking at the stats since he has taken over from JD and compared them. The improvement in all facets of our game is evident to the eye test no doubt. When you break it down the difference is insane.

Last year after the Tigers win there was 13 games. You can even see how poorly we declined this year with JD in charge.

2023 Rounds 12-27 (13 games)
4W 9L
Points For: 300 (23ppg)
Points Against: 355 (27ppg)

2024 Rounds 1-8 (7 games)
1W 6L
Points For: 114 (16ppg)
Points Against: 216 (31ppg)

2024 Rounds 9-15 (6 Games)
3W 3L
Points For: 158 (26ppg)
Points Against: 122 (20ppg)

If you were to take the Panthers game out in which Ben was made head coach 2 days before it makes for even better reading. We go to scoring 29ppg whilst only conceding 16ppg. Those stats there are basically reversed on what was happening with JD.

No doubt Dave Furner has to get recognition as well for our defence.

This is a great period for Ben to showcase how he can handle a head coaching role. No doubt the opposition hasn’t been the same, but when you look at the stats from last year when there was plenty of weaker teams we played there is still a great deal of improvement.

I had my doubts about Hornby but now as it stands I wouldn't have mind if we went ahead with him as head coach next year or if he is given a shot when Wayne departs.

I was looking at the stats since he has taken over from JD and compared them. The improvement in all facets of our game is evident to the eye test no doubt. When you break it down the difference is insane.

Last year after the Tigers win there was 13 games. You can even see how poorly we declined this year with JD in charge.

2023 Rounds 12-27 (13 games)
4W 9L
Points For: 300 (23ppg)
Points Against: 355 (27ppg)

2024 Rounds 1-8 (7 games)
1W 6L
Points For: 114 (16ppg)
Points Against: 216 (31ppg)

2024 Rounds 9-15 (6 Games)
3W 3L
Points For: 158 (26ppg)
Points Against: 122 (20ppg)

If you were to take the Panthers game out in which Ben was made head coach 2 days before it makes for even better reading. We go to scoring 29ppg whilst only conceding 16ppg. Those stats there are basically reversed on what was happening with JD.

No doubt Dave Furner has to get recognition as well for our defence.

This is a great period for Ben to showcase how he can handle a head coaching role. No doubt the opposition hasn’t been the same, but when you look at the stats from last year when there was plenty of weaker teams we played there is still a great deal of improvement.
I think both Ben and Dave deserve great credit for us even thinking there’s a small hope of finals when weeks ago we were hoping to find another win. I do also wonder how big the Wayne shadow is playing in the back of certain players minds.

I had my doubts about Hornby but now as it stands I wouldn't have mind if we went ahead with him as head coach next year or if he is given a shot when Wayne departs.
If he somehow managers the impossible or even gets us close other clubs will be taking notice. I just wonder how many more wins will it take for Parra to start thinking down that path? That’s if they haven’t already decided?

If he somehow managers the impossible or even gets us close other clubs will be taking notice. I just wonder how many more wins will it take for Parra to start thinking down that path? That’s if they haven’t already decided?
That's the worry, other clubs will be on the prowl.

Hornby is looking less like an interim coach and more like an NRL coach every game. He definitely has a game plan. Eg. Against GC and Broncos we were not really exposed on our right side to the extent that we have been before. I am keen to see what he comes up with when players like CG and Munro return from injuries.

My gut feeling is our recent resurrection as a football team is more to do with players knowing big Wayne is coming next year and he’s watching closely. No knock on Ben, Wayne obviously likes him as he did JD, but I wouldn’t be getting carried away just yet.

My gut feeling is our recent resurrection as a football team is more to do with players knowing big Wayne is coming next year and he’s watching closely. No knock on Ben, Wayne obviously likes him as he did JD, but I wouldn’t be getting carried away just yet.
I totally agree. The team started playing with intensity for 80 mins when the WB signing was official and the coaching drama was sorted. That is not a coincidence, (Gibbs rule 40). I was just making the point that the game plan is quite different now, and that incorporates a lot of areas of play. I give credit to Hornby for that.

Wayne is clearly talking to our players. We have been playing teams in poor form. I'm not signing Hornby as Head Coach anytime soon.

I think Ben has done exceptionally well in tough circumstances but I also think we have a very talented team and there has been a definite shift of attitude post JD leaving - I would guess that’s half about JD going and half about WB coming.

I guess one thing I would take away from this JD sacking - as the old saying goes “everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face”

In the context of Hornby he is coaching without much pressure.

Yeah, don’t discount Ben’s influence.

100% he’s simplified things for the team. You’ve heard it in his pre and post match press.

He’s the right temperament at the right time.

And 100% some of the leaders in the side have come to the realisation that they’re in charge of the result. Which sounds obvious but it can take a rock bottom some times to figure that out after personnel change.

The guys in the team were doing the same things that got them success when Wayne, Reyno, Gagai and Sua were here and not getting a result.

Sometimes a team has to fall apart to figure out what’s what and what winning takes/their role in that. Kolo, Latrell, Walker, they’re all way more involved in the ‘new Souths’.

Team environments are tricky.

And yes, plus Wayne is magic.

I've liked the small changes to our defensive structure. We are holding and sliding more instead of the centres rushing in on the oppositionhalves. Also our man 3 in (usually our halves) is dropping back to cover once the ball is past him and it's helped cover when our centre/winger have been beaten. It's worked well.

It's hard to tell. Is it him, the freedom he allows or the lift from.bennett coming or all 3

Back