• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Albanese Sets New Record

Status
Not open for further replies.
So back to the topic.

Are you one of those people who beĺieves every trip a pollie takes is legit? Even hard core Labor voters i know think 23 trips in less than 18 months is excessive.
PMs have to go overseas. Looking at the list you provided I can guess justifications for most of those trips. The only one I scratch my head over is Lithuania, but again, without knowing the reason. There are some countries there that are very important to us. I felt the previous Government(s) dropped the ball in Pacific relations in particular.

You just have to laugh.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has rejected criticism that he is spending too much of his time abroad, proclaiming he "hasn't had a day off in a very long period of time".

What, you were working when at the cricket, the tennis, music festivals and rock gigs?

FFS stop lying.

PMs have to go overseas. Looking at the list you provided I can guess justifications for most of those trips. The only one I scratch my head over is Lithuania, but again, without knowing the reason. There are some countries there that are very important to us. I felt the previous Government(s) dropped the ball in Pacific relations in particular.
Thanks for a sensible reply.

I am not saying a PM shouldn't travel, of course they need to, but by all previous standards from both sides 23 trips in such a short period of time seems excessive.

Thanks for a sensible reply.

I am not saying a PM shouldn't travel, of course they need to, but by all previous standards from both sides 23 trips in such a short period of time seems excessive.
Maybe it is, but unless you know the reasons for each of those trips, it is impossible to know whether they are justified or not. The world is going through a fairly volatile period with Chinese expansion (into the Pacific particularly effects us), war in Ukraine, US gone batshit crazy. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Simply complaining about overseas trips by the PM without knowing the reason for each, is half the story.

How is he doing that, any examples?

Like any instances with facts where Morrison damaged our rep and how has Albanese changed that.
No facts. About as many facts as those whingeing about Albanese going overseas all the time isn't a good thing.

Australia/Albo was invited to a NATO meeting.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has defended his overseas travel during a flood crisis, saying he has not had a day off in a long time and his government wasn’t a “one-person show”.

Responding to criticism from the opposition over his absence during the emergency, the prime minister said his recent visit to war-torn Ukraine was important to show solidarity with its people, while his NATO summit attendance and the reparation of diplomatic ties with France were also significant.

So the trip to Ukraine was to show solidarity? So that's one trip that was not required. I think solidarity can be shown by what we are supplying them, and perhaps a phone call.

Maybe it is, but unless you know the reasons for each of those trips, it is impossible to know whether they are justified or not. The world is going through a fairly volatile period with Chinese expansion (into the Pacific particularly effects us), war in Ukraine, US gone batshit crazy. I'm sure there's plenty more.

Simply complaining about overseas trips by the PM without knowing the reason for each, is half the story.
It's scrounging for something to complain about when there isn't anything of substance to bag him for.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has defended his overseas travel during a flood crisis, saying he has not had a day off in a long time and his government wasn’t a “one-person show”.

Responding to criticism from the opposition over his absence during the emergency, the prime minister said his recent visit to war-torn Ukraine was important to show solidarity with its people, while his NATO summit attendance and the reparation of diplomatic ties with France were also significant.

So the trip to Ukraine was to show solidarity? So that's one trip that was not required. I think solidarity can be shown by what we are supplying them, and perhaps a phone call.
What you think and what is required are two very different things - apparently poles apart! :D

Just heard that since Albanese became PM beer costs have risen 10%,

Typical a capitalist with multiple investment properties would make the working man pay via beer.
Gotta pay for those franking credits somehow...

You just have to laugh.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has rejected criticism that he is spending too much of his time abroad, proclaiming he "hasn't had a day off in a very long period of time".

What, you were working when at the cricket, the tennis, music festivals and rock gigs?

FFS stop lying.
Popping into a sporting event on a work day doesn't mean he hasn't done 48 other things that day so, not lying. PMs are very busy people but it's also partly business because it's good to be seen amongst the people for one's popularity which is part of the job when you remember public perception is important in maintaining support and ultimately votes at election time.

I'm sure you're acutely aware of this, as are the opposition who are desperately trying to smear him with this baseless attack. And you're piling on because you're so fair and neutral.

Gotta pay for those franking credits somehow...

Just heard that since Albanese became PM beer costs have risen 10%,

Typical a capitalist with multiple investment properties would make the working man pay via beer.
Inflation is now dropping sharply.

Can't be anything to do with Albanese. He only gets blamed for when it goes up. Right? :D

Like any instances with facts where Morrison damaged our rep and how has Albanese changed that.
Australia's reputation went south under Morrison - Aus-Sino relationships went into crisis (that word again) and our major trading partner has been boycotting us ever since - a lot of the blame is on them but also on the abject lack of diplomacy from the sabre rattling Morrison and Dutton when he was Defence Minister, France was disgusted at his blatant dishonesty and reneging on their sub deal, much of the rest of the world were disgusted at the coalition's poor performance with regard to climate change and continues to monitor how Australia treats our Indigeneous peoples and sees us as a racist country while the Pacific nations have had prickly relationships with Morrison including the Solomon Islands who have lurched in the direction of China under Morrison's prickly stewardship.

Albo and Penny Wong in particular have been busy repairing these very important relationships as well as shoring up defence and trade agreements and that, by necessity, requires some OS travel but to my mind, Labor has been doing a very good job at getting our diplomatic relationships with allies and others in much better shape with some trade sanctions with China now being lifted while the Pacific community are much happier with this government's greater commitment to real and sincere efforts to reduce emissions by comparison to the cynical approach of the previous government.

Two trips to Fiji might be partly explained by this (link bleow). I'm not as paranoid as some about China, but their expansion into the Pacific worried me at the time. Also, although it is quite a while ago the rising sea level joke is probably still remembered in the Pacific.

Asked if Morrison’s approach might cause some Pacific leaders to look to China, which is locked in a battle for influence in the region with Australia, Bainimarama said: “After what we went through with Morrison, nothing can be worse than him.

“China never insults the Pacific. You say it as if there’s a competition between Australia and China. There’s no competition, except to say the Chinese don’t insult us. They don’t go down and tell the world that we’ve given this much money to the Pacific islands. They don’t do that. They’re good people, definitely better than Morrison, I can tell you that.

“The prime minister was very insulting, very condescending, not good for the relationship … They [Australians] keep saying the Chinese are going to take over. Guess why?” said Bainimarama, laughing. “You don’t have to be a high-school graduate to know that.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back