• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

JD Sacked

Aren’t we waiting for Big Mal to get back from holidays?

I'll tell you what I don't like about the JD situation, and that is that Souths appear to be doing nothing.

In my role I quite often have to make the final decision on if we fire someone, and it can be tough making these decisions at times,

But I will consider all aspects of the situation and make a decision, one way or the other, then act on it.

Souths need to either back him and say you have the full season, or march him out the door asap.
I just don't get this hanging in limbo business, not knowing and not showing any leadership.

It provides nothing for the players, the fans don't see light at the end of the tunnel because we don't know what the plan is.

Show some leadership, take some action one way or the other and move this club on before we become even worse.
Brilliant post mate well said.

I don’t know what we are a waiting for where is the leadership? We are a basket case I am so appalled at the moment appalled beyond words. Mind you they honestly don’t seem too worried so why should we! Man the **** up and send him marching first thing Sunday or Monday morning! It’s just beyond a joke now how he’s still here. He should’ve went in the bye week but they were too gutless to do it again a soft culture!

I'll tell you what I don't like about the JD situation, and that is that Souths appear to be doing nothing.

In my role I quite often have to make the final decision on if we fire someone, and it can be tough making these decisions at times,

But I will consider all aspects of the situation and make a decision, one way or the other, then act on it.

Souths need to either back him and say you have the full season, or march him out the door asap.
I just don't get this hanging in limbo business, not knowing and not showing any leadership.

It provides nothing for the players, the fans don't see light at the end of the tunnel because we don't know what the plan is.

Show some leadership, take some action one way or the other and move this club on before we become even worse.
I hear what you’re saying. I’ve been in similar situations and subscribe to the “rip off the bandaid” approach to leadership.

Let me ask you a question though. While you’re in your decision making process - considering all aspects - do you talk to all and sundry about what you’re considering?
(I know the answer by the way).

This is an immensely frustrating time for all of us, as we’ve all come to the realisation that JD is not the coach. Some will say that they came to this realisation a year ago - and good on ‘em - but the overwhelming realisation from the majority of the fan base is that we need to make changes.

But the club has to follow due process and ensure that they make the right decisions to set the club back on course.
And there are multiple stakeholders who need to be consulted before pulling the trigger. Rusty is only one of the stakeholders now, not the only one.

As I’ve said elsewhere, I believe:

* The decision has already been made (by Blake and his inner circle I mean). They’ve identified who they are going to put into the caretaker role and who is the target for next year.

* They didn’t want to set the caretaker up for a couple of hidings against Melbourne and particularly Penrith. Far better for the caretaker to get some “easier” games to make his mark.
So, send the dead man walking out to take the lumps and bumps for a couple more weeks - as it ain’t going to have a material impact on our season.

* They will pull the trigger on the morning after the game against Penrith. The board meeting on Tuesday is to ratify all of this in my view.

* and I HOPE they are also instituting a clean out of the football department (I’m not confident on this aspect).

(I also don’t think Richo was a realistic option. I’m pretty sure the Rabbitohs “coat trailing” was a negotiating tactic by Richo to secure the price he wanted).

I hear what you’re saying. I’ve been in similar situations and subscribe to the “rip off the bandaid” approach to leadership.

Let me ask you a question though. While you’re in your decision making process - considering all aspects - do you talk to all and sundry about what you’re considering?
(I know the answer by the way).

Yes, I am a huge believer in open and honest communications when dealing with people.

I have a rule that I will not fire someone unless after discussion they themselves understand that I have no option. Of course People and Culture will be a part of the discussion process.

But for me to be comfortable with making such a decision I need to be able to prove to myself that I have given the person all the support, development and opportunity to succeed within their role that I can possibly offer.

I think open communications on such decisions is critical, which is why I am pissed off with what Souths are doing, or NOT doing.

Stability is very important, and when you don't actually know what's happening there is no stability, just uncertainty and in some cases fear. To me that's not right.

Part of my role is to teach others about leadership and mentoring people, and I just see no sign of leadership from Souths at the moment.

At the moment everyone is in the dark. By not offering leadership and some kind of action Souths are essentially saying what is happening at the moment is acceptable, and it just simply isn't.

We need to make a statement about our situation, reveal what changes we intend to make and when, and stabilise the feelings of the players and supporters.

Before we can fix anything there needs to be some clear leadership and vision as to how we will get out of this mess.

At the moment we present as a leaderless rabble that has no idea of how to even start bringing things back to normal.

Here's a tip Souths: Vision, Stability, Plan, Actions.

I think JD will cut loose after the panthers game next week if we perform poorly.

Waiting to cut the coach because we are playing Penrith next week is loser mentality

Agreed.

We should be on the front foot, leading the way, and showing what we aim to do to address this mess regardless of who we are playing. Other teams should not dictate what we do and how we respond.

Lead Souths, LEAD, FFS.

From a PR perspective It’s preferable to wait for the inevitable Penrith mauling and if it’s really as bad as expected then the decision will be entirely justified. If it rolls on after that there’s the chance that they beat the Dragons the following round which delays the inevitable and re-sets the termination clock. Beating the Dragons with Furner as caretaker ticks the PR box.
Everything points to next weekends game, probably the Monday wash up will bring down the sword. Looking at JD it’s got to be close to a mercy execution, putting him through the pre and post match media stuff is painful.
One more week guys….

From a PR perspective It’s preferable to wait for the inevitable Penrith mauling and if it’s really as bad as expected then the decision will be entirely justified. If it rolls on after that there’s the chance that they beat the Dragons the following round which delays the inevitable and re-sets the termination clock. Beating the Dragons with Furner as caretaker ticks the PR box.
Everything points to next weekends game, probably the Monday wash up will bring down the sword. Looking at JD it’s got to be close to a mercy execution, putting him through the pre and post match media is painful.
Perhaps from a HR perspective, Souths have something in train. Not speaking public about that, and JD issued with some performance management plan, that if he doesn't meet the standard set, his services may be terminated?

It is certainly being fueled by media speculation and embellishment, but clearly it is not all paper talk.

Last edited:
If it rolls on after that there’s the chance that they beat the Dragons the following round which delays the inevitable and re-sets the termination clock.

Didn’t they give him a 5 week window/plan?
im sure they had the softer draw in mind, if that’s correct

Back