• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Summer of Cricket 23/24

I can’t wait for this test and the ensuing 8 days of Warner saturation to be over

Talk is Smith will open he’s put his hand up and Cam Green at 4.

They will apparently leave Bancroft out. The last reserve batter spot in the squad will either be Aaron Hardie or Renshaw likely.

Michael Clarker, a former Test captain and teammate of Smith, however, had no doubt he would excel in the new role.

“He will be the number one Test opener in 12 months,” Clarke said on the Around The Wicket podcast.

“Don’t be surprised if he breaks Brian Lara’s 400 record because he’s that good, and now he’s got the whole day or two days to bat.”

That support was echoed by former Australian Test opener Mark Taylor.

“I don’t mind that at all because to me it says Steve Smith wants to do what’s best for the team, which I think is terrific,” Taylor told Wide World of Sports radio.

“I thought maybe (Marnus) Labuschagne moves up and Smith bats at three and Green comes in at four.

“But if Smith wants to move up and Labuschagne doesn’t, I don’t have a problem with that.“If that’s what’s best for Australian cricket, I think it’s a good move.”

Back