• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Russell Crowe

Buckle up and see how this plays out. The owners overruled by the board? Not sure how that came about but…….,

As the South Sydney board mulled over the future of Jason Demetriou on Tuesday, co-owner Russell Crowe contacted the coach to tell him: “I’ve got your back”.
Hours later the board unanimously voted in favour of an immediate termination of Demetriou’s contract, ending the coach’s tenure at the club and in the process highlighted the dilution of Crowe’s influence and sway at his beloved South Sydney.
Crowe, having made a pledge to Demetriou to help prolong what seemed like the inevitable, wanted his representatives on the board to fight against the immediate termination of the coach. They argued for four more weeks. Then it was two.
With chairman Nick Pappas in London chairing the meeting over Zoom at 2am, and the directors at an impasse, it was agreed that they would reconvene in six hours’ time (5pm Sydney time).

Not sure how true this is when its been reported that Crowe has been chasing Richo and Bennett to come back for next year.

The reporting that Crowe has lost influence at the club is shockingly poor.

When Crowe and PHaC owned Souths it was very clear they worked in unison, however, what is key to remember is the mandate at the time was to resuscitate a perennial battler - so they were aligned in that objective.

When PHaC sold his share to Packer and when both Crowe and Packer divested their shareholdings to bring MCB on board, necessarily their influence at board level was diluted.

It is no longer just Crowe - there are two different voices that must be heard and that have a say along with Member Co.

Any suggestion that this is a recent happening is ludicrous.

Similarly, any suggestion that Crowe has lost influence is also ludicrous.

The benefit of Crowe is not his iron fist approach to boardroom decisions - Crowe's strength has always been his ability to influence key stakeholders and identify a need for change.

I haven't seen anything yet which suggest these attributes have been lost.

Whatever the truth is I do wonder how Crowe will handle the apparent rejection of his “directives” for want of a better word

I want to know how the media 'know' of the content of texts Crowe is sending, and directives he is giving his board members, and contents of the meetings, and then texts/contacts that are made afterwards. How is all this information in the public (assuming they are true)??

Crowe has apparently been keen on Bennett.

Solly has come out and confirmed our interest in Bennett so it appears Crowe will get his wish there.

The big question is, does Wayne want to come?

Crowe has apparently been keen on Bennett.

Solly has come out and confirmed our interest in Bennett so it appears Crowe will get his wish there.

The big question is, does Wayne want to come?
WB is only a coach, he has said that many times. He is not interested, yet, in sitting in an office. Hanging around young men and helping them be the best they can be on and off the field is his PASSION.

Next year he is without a coaching job. As far as I know there is only one coaching job available. If we want WB we sell him our vision for the next three years and one million reasons to relocate! 😃😃

I want to know how the media 'know' of the content of texts Crowe is sending, and directives he is giving his board members, and contents of the meetings, and then texts/contacts that are made afterwards. How is all this information in the public (assuming they are true)??
Assuming they are true, one of two people. Rusty or JD. My money is on JD.

Buckle up and see how this plays out. The owners overruled by the board? Not sure how that came about but…….,

As the South Sydney board mulled over the future of Jason Demetriou on Tuesday, co-owner Russell Crowe contacted the coach to tell him: “I’ve got your back”.
Hours later the board unanimously voted in favour of an immediate termination of Demetriou’s contract, ending the coach’s tenure at the club and in the process highlighted the dilution of Crowe’s influence and sway at his beloved South Sydney.
Crowe, having made a pledge to Demetriou to help prolong what seemed like the inevitable, wanted his representatives on the board to fight against the immediate termination of the coach. They argued for four more weeks. Then it was two.
With chairman Nick Pappas in London chairing the meeting over Zoom at 2am, and the directors at an impasse, it was agreed that they would reconvene in six hours’ time (5pm Sydney time).
Ha ha. These guys should be writing fictitious novels. This one even sounds like it could have come from Russell. Parasites on the run again. First this fool's saying Russell's backing JD and a few paragraphs later he's saying Russell's chasing Bennett. Whoever wrote this is drinking too much of the same healthy concoctions that the angry ant Kent is on. 🤣

Last edited:
Owners having the temerity to let their nominated board members carry out their roles without interference is as very good thing.

Owners having the temerity to let their nominated board members carry out their roles without interference is as very good thing.
Not sure if that’s the case with Crowe. I can imagine Packer not giving a crap and deferring but not Crowe.
We know nothing of CBs footy intellect or desires aside from having shitloads of cash

Not sure if that’s the case with Crowe. I can imagine Packer not giving a crap and deferring but not Crowe.
We know nothing of CBs footy intellect or desires aside from having shitloads of cash
Proof is in the pudding. Crowe has most definitely taken steps back over the past few years.

And it's not MCB, it's his board nominee Kelly Morton, who by all reports is a Rabbitohs tragic (on top of her business creds).

Proof is in the pudding. Crowe has most definitely taken steps back over the past few years.

And it's not MCB, it's his board nominee Kelly Morton, who by all reports is a Rabbitohs tragic (on top of her business creds).

Yob, Being a “tragic” is not a credential I put much faith in. God, we’ve had people in here, for the last 6 years, have been moronically demanding we sack walker.😆😆

The clue to the underlying issues may lay with you’re last commen that I’ve highlighted.
Business/ money over football intellect

Yob, Being a “tragic” is not a credential I put much faith in. God, we’ve had people in here, for the last 6 years, have been moronically demanding we sack walker.😆😆
You're flip-flopping everywhere. Clearly Morton is there because she's a very astute businesswoman. Then you wanted to know what their footy credentials are. I said she is a Rabbitohs tragic. Now you say that doesn't matter.

She's not there to decide if it's better to isolate A defenders or shift-wide to get the man 3rd in. She's there for corporate governance. Being someone who watches and understands the club and sport helps. Domain knowledge and all that.

Latest posts

Back