• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 9: Rabbitohs v Panthers

This might help with that.
Note anything interesting with the current NRL ladder🤔

That’s pretty meaningless- there are 6 teams on 4 wins and 4 teams on 3 wins - the order they sit on the table is irrelevant at this point in the season.
We have played 3 top teams and 4 mid table teams.
Granted we have not played one of the cellar dwellers Tigers or Titans.

Good sides can overcome adversity and not use the draw, injuries or suspensions as an excuse.

Of course they can, doesn’t change the facts that it’s been a horror draw and I’d suggest, baring a couple of teams, that draw would have many flailing

We have played 7 of the current top 8
Top 8 is meaningless at the moment - some teams have had byes some have flogged teams and been flogged which is skewing the data.
Plus anyone who has played us has had a leg up in the for and against 😂

Of course they can, doesn’t change the facts that it’s been a horror draw and I’d suggest, baring a couple of teams, that draw would have many flailing
But it isnt just this year is it.

We have been terrible since May last year when we lost to the Eels.

You cant blame the draw when the team you coach goes from 1st to missing the 8 completely.

We now have almost 12 months of stats to draw on and it isnt just poor luck we are in this predicament.

Admittedly the draw has been a tough one. But it’s not so much about not winning, but more to how poorly we are losing.

Conceding 36 points a game. Only one game conceding less than 30.

After 11 rounds last year where we had played the likes of the Panthers (twice), Storm (twice), Broncos, Roosters, Sharks we were conceding 13 points a game.

We were coming first.

You can’t use the draw as an excuse.

Around this time last year we’d just come through what many called a horror draw to be sitting on top of the table having beaten Penrith and Melbourne in consecutive weeks.

We then entered what many thought would be a weaker period where we would stack up wins and we completely dropped our bundle. Haven’t been the same since.

Around this time last year we’d just come through what many called a horror draw to be sitting on top of the table having beaten Penrith and Melbourne in consecutive weeks.

We then entered what many thought would be a weaker period where we would stack up wins and we completely dropped our bundle. Haven’t been the same since.
Would love to know what happened.

Maybe JD will shed some light when he finally gets the axe.

I have said it a couple of times but my take is - post the Wayne era the team effectively was playing on “muscle memory” for 18 months and JD even though he was head coach was still acting like an assistant, just keep doing what was happening under Wayne.
When the wheels started to fall off a little JD has been found out - he has was not able to correct the ship and just kept doing the same thing hoping it would recover.
In 2021 we had 50 put on us twice in 3 wereks and Wayne was able to correct the ship and get us to a GF. That’s the difference in being an assistant vs head coach.

It is utterly bizzare.

I mean the only logical explanation one could think of is that something happened and playing group split in two (think the Tigers when Benji and Farah weren't getting along).

But that doesn't seem to be the case. Although maybe it is. Who knows.

Ex players are useless when it comes to diagnosing down periods in their career other than cliches. Even after retirement.

They’re quick to diagnose success, but any failure is just ‘well, dunno?’

I’m not suprised Cook is scratching his head.

It’s a team environment and you need excellent leadership, a sound approach, and a simplification for players about what’s actually important.

What’s important for Cody is different for Damien, is different for Keaon is different for Tom. Yet when they all do their part, the team succeeds.

I don’t think JD knows/has communicated what is actually important to the group.

It feels at the moment as if they’re all focussing on a thousand things each trying to fix the issues themselves by banging their head against a wall. Which leads to frustratio.

Players show frustration differently. Trell swears in an interview and gets lazy with his limbs in-game. Cam stone faces a press conference. Cody starts focussing on areas of the play that aren’t his repsonsiblilty, etc.

Too much influence from certain players at the club and a coach that can’t or won’t stand up to them.

A predictable game plan that hasn’t evolved.

Too many old slow blokes on the roster. Particularly in the backline.

Ignorance on what our team lacked and no effort to address some of those needs.

Recruiting players who didn’t fill any actual need. Leading to a roster that is stacked in one or two areas but is totally lacking in others.

Too many injuries and questionable management of some of those injuries.

Pig headedness in sticking with some wrong calls for far too long.

Rotating the same two or three players in and out of the team each week and failing to drop others who are as bad if not worse.

Have I missed anything?

Back