• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 25: Rabbitohs vs Knights

Callmack1

Staff member
Reaction score
Time to move onto the next one as a new week brings with it a new game. This week, we look forward to what is set to be an absolutely monumental clash that has massive ramifications for both teams. That's right, it's Round 25 and we have a trip up the M1 for a bit of Sunday arvo Footy against the Knights. As I said, massive game given where both sides sit, and come the end of the Season, this could well decide who makes the Finals and who doesn't. So, it's going to be one of those pressure cooker games with Finals-like intensity. You've gotta say, the pressure is certainly on us, especially playing them at home.

Honestly, we're in for one hell of a game if the recent form of Newcastle is anything to go by. Since losing a reasonably close one to Penrith many weeks ago, they've really found their mojo and found their groove to the point where they're now in red-hot form and look certain to play Finals. I'd even go as far as saying they're one of the form teams of the comp at the moment and if everything went well for them, on their day, they'd go close to beating anyone. They play a very tough, but also very expansive style of Footy that is hard to defend, we saw that yesterday in their first half onslaught against the Dogs. Up front, they've got a pretty good forward pack that can match it with anyone. Lead by the Saifiti brothers and Frizell, but backed up strongly by guys like Fitzgibbon, Elliot, and Thompson, they never really struggle for go-forward. In fact, that's probably been one of the keys to their recent success, that their forwards have really stepped it up and dominated games so we're in for a tough battle through the middle. Then of course, that id before you even start thinking about their backline, sheeesh, it's good when you look at it. Of course, the main man and the main threat is Ponga. He's in outstanding form at the moment but with a backline also including Young, Gagai and Best, you're really up against it. Their halves are also in good form. So, it seems everything is just clicking for them, and they'll come into this game seeing it as a huge opportunity.

I wish we could say the same and say things are clicking for us, but they certainly are not. Although we got a much-needed result on Saturday, it was far from convincing, and it was really not a good performance yet again. We're going to have to be so much better on Sunday, and I mean soooo much better, or I'm afraid Newcastle are going to absolutely clap us. They will bring what they bring, but we can't be worrying too much about the opposition when we don't have our own game in order. That's why this week, as cliche' as it is, the focus really has to be on us. I want to see the coaching staff and the squad really knuckle down and say, 'enough is enough.' Our poor form has been going on far too long and I'm sick of it. Where is the team we know we have? It's still in there somewhere and I hope we find it this week. I can't believe we're in this position, but it's really getting down to the do or die stages now and we really need to win these last two games. That should be all the motivation the boys need so I want to see the attitude spot on on Sunday. It was better over the weekend, but we're going to need even better than that if we are to prevail in this one. That's probably the biggest thing. Next on the agenda is the errors and execution. It's pretty simple really, we cannot complete at anything less than 80% this week and expect to win this game so it's really time to nail our execution. I'm not exactly confident we'll do that, but you never know. Our attack has really deserted us lately, so I'd love to find it again this week. Then of course, we need to see the defence on the improve. It was better against the Dragons but the Knights are a different beast and we'll need to step it up. A big positive is that we're a chance of having both Tatola and Sele back so that will really help.

The pressure is on and our backs are really against the wall but strangely, there's a part of me that still thinks we can do this. On potential, of course we can. On current form though, you'd have to say no. So, it's time to turn it around boys and turn it around fast. A win here makes a statement and has the potential to really change things. A loss could be catastrophic. Over to you lads, show us what you've got.

Glory, Glory.

Pretty crazy that we can essentially lock up a top 8 spot this week. If we win and Cowboys lose we are as good as in. Cowboys or Eels would need to make up an enormous differential gap over the last 2 games

I still have some optimism/ thinking Souths from rounds7-10 comes back and things will click. (Yes it is blind faith). If our side can’t get up for a game against a red hot knights away from home with a finals spot on the line- then we don’t deserve one.

The glass half empty in me sees us coming out flat and ill disciplined and then trying to milk calls which drags out a slow play the ball (the ref will favour knights at home so take it out of their hands).

Shaq and Latrell back near home country… hopefully it helps little bro play a bit better than he has been.

I still have some optimism/ thinking Souths from rounds7-10 comes back and things will click. (Yes it is blind faith). If our side can’t get up for a game against a red hot knights away from home with a finals spot on the line- then we don’t deserve one.

The glass half empty in me sees us coming out flat and ill disciplined and then trying to milk calls which drags out a slow play the ball (the ref will favour knights at home so take it out of their hands).

Shaq and Latrell back near home country… hopefully it helps little bro play a bit better than he has been.
I can't believe how Injured latrell us for someone who has not played a lot of games.

Win and we eliminate the chances of the Roosters and the Eels catching us. And we might finish level on points with the Raiders (therefore beat them on points differential). The Cowboys have to play the Sharks, then the Dolphins and finish with Penrith's second grade (when they rest all their players). If we are looking to just make the eight then a Sharks win would be good. Win our last two and we have a faint hope of a home final.

But this is all supposition. We have to win. The Knights put in good performances against the Broncos and Panthers before winning six in a row so they are really flying.

Their performance against the Dogs stands in marked contrast to our bumbling effort against the Dragons. We desperately need to get our completion rate up. The is not a lot that JD can do about that - it's up to the players to focus. I just hope we don't play too conservatively - that doesn't really get our completion rate up anyway.

I just hope Tatola is back.

Cheers

We are in a strange position here. A game we have to win. We aren’t playing anywhere near where we should be.

There were improvements last week. But at the same time it wasn’t convincing. We are waiting for the boys to click again. Thinking is this the week that they do? But it just isn’t happening. Not sure we will get to see it.

Our biggest concern right now is our completion rate. This is where we need to be better right now. Get that right and we will give it a real crack come Sunday.

Kind of sucks being the Sunday game. Seeing the other games being played makes me want to get it out of the way.

The Knights have been a much improved side. Both at their best we win. But that’s the issue. We aren’t even close to that.

I can't believe how Injured latrell us for someone who has not played a lot of games.
It’s called a lack of conditioning, not playing means you lack conditioning which is your body’s ability tolerate all the stuff that happens to it during a game.
You can get as “fit” as you like off the field but when you don’t play regularly your body is going to struggle

Hastings out will help a bit.
Their strength is our weakness to some extent, they have a fair bit of speed and power out wide in Young, Best and Marshew being on the end of Ponga‘s probing and elusiveness so we should expect offloads aplenty…gulp. Gags will be primed for a big one too.
We will probably start as slight favourites but it’s certainly not warranted on current form.
It’s fingers crossed for sure.

Last edited:
If we can't turn up with intent and motivation against the Knights, then I do not want to play finals footy. It's really that simple.

We are in a strange position here. A game we have to win. We aren’t playing anywhere near where we should be.

There were improvements last week. But at the same time it wasn’t convincing. We are waiting for the boys to click again. Thinking is this the week that they do? But it just isn’t happening. Not sure we will get to see it.

Our biggest concern right now is our completion rate. This is where we need to be better right now. Get that right and we will give it a real crack come Sunday.

Kind of sucks being the Sunday game. Seeing the other games being played makes me want to get it out of the way.

The Knights have been a much improved side. Both at their best we win. But that’s the issue. We aren’t even close to that.
The Knights were a much improved side a month ago. Now they are very much a highly effective side. Their halves are confident, provide a platform for exciting attacking raids and are dangerous individually. Their go forward is great.
We are so far off the pace it’s not funny.
As it’s an away game but quite local for us, we are taking the grandkids to the game with a family pass on the hill. It’ll be a sellout with great atmosphere.

I am looking no further than this game.
Go Souths! 💚❤️

It still befuddles me that it's Round 25 and we need to win to lock up a finals position, and if we lose, it'll come down to a Round 27 shootout against a team who has been beyond awful all season. What a fall from grace.

My heart hopes for some wild sharp swing back to our opening 3 months but my head says more of the same.

I don't see any reason we can't regain our form from early this year. Whether we will or not I guess we will soon find out. I struggled through the replay of last game and thought there were some positive signs, apart from the awful errors. It was easier to watch knowing we won.

Back